1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ma'Khia Bryant Shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Apr 21, 2021.

1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Not sure and maybe that's why he didn't use the taser.

Many officers who have had to shoot someone, even when justified, say it weight heavily on them. If he tasered her and it was effective, he still saves 2 lives instead of ending one and saving one.

I'm not saying he did anything wrong.... I was just pointing out this might have been a good use of the taser as it seems a lot of taser video's i've seen were from similar distances.

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

If someone was trying to kill your wife, or your child, or you, and was split seconds away from it would you want the cop using a gun or hoping a taser would be sufficient? horrible situation but i don't see what choice he had unfortunately.

King1 and ROXRAN like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure it will weigh heavily on his conscience but a taser isn't as reliable. There are many cases where a taser hasn't worked or not been as effective. This was a situation with a lethal threat and in lethal force is called for.

VooDooPope, King1, Andre0087 and 3 others like this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He stated that he feared for his life, that's what he told investigators. I'm not sure how fearing for his life meant that he was going to let her smoke outside of his car.

This is ignoring the fact that there is zero wrong with smoking in your car regardless of what the cop was ordering you to do, since at that point she was not under arrest.

Anyways, do you man, I know you love over complicating things.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It's bothersome if the smoke is blowing out at you

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Sure it is. Doesn't mean you let your emotions get the best of you and escalate it lol. I get it though, cops have this greater than thou attitude that they believe gives them a free pass to act on their emotions. Individuals like yourself are the problem by enabling this behavior rather than attempting to find a solution to this "cop culture" problem.

The majority of us don't hate cops. We disapprove of their tactics and believe reform is needed to change the perception others have of them.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Saw video looked justified.

DD

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He clearly is asking her to step out after she refuses to put out the cigarette. Yes the police are held to the higher standard but you can't be a total dick. He was gonna let her finish the cigarette but not in his face. Is that unreasonable?

9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I lost a good friend to a stabbing about 20 years ago. He was a DE for TCU. Knives can do major damage.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look, people that want REFORM in policing need to be able to tell the difference between good policing (This) and bad policing.

He shot the girl to stop her from stabbing someone else.....I mean - it looked right to me.

DD

11. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Taser shot at close distance didn't incapacitate this woman enough, she was still able to pull out and shoot a gun (graphic footage warning).

jiggyfly and Andre0087 like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Made a change to the thread title to get the spelling of her name right. When I started it originally had seen the alternate spelling.

13. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Theres nothing to debate here. The cop did the right thing. Sad but true.

Downtown Sniper and Andre0087 like this.
  14. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

The video ends any debate about this one. If he took any other action, he created the possibility that a knife wielding attacker could murder the other person. His job is to serve and protect. Yes, protect extends to perpetrators, but in this scenario, it could not be more clear that the danger was real, immediate and life threatening. Consider the alternative - he uses non lethal force and the assailant kills the victim. What then? In this scenario, the priority is to stop the attacker.

Setting aside the legalities or police protocols, just thinking about this from a moral and societal perspective - sorry but if you charge someone wielding a knife in front of cops, you are forfeiting the moral high ground. Nobody deserves to be shot dead, and that’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying that society should care a lot less about protecting you than the victim you’re about to maim or kill.

people who are publicly arguing about this case are diluting the argument about police brutality, use of force and racism.

no question that it is sad that a young woman died here. But the cop bears zero blame and should be commended for his actions.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I want to back off defending the cop in the Sandra Bland traffic stop to a certain extent. He did let her get under his skin and he definitely didn't need to arrest her.

That being said she committed suicide. Her death was investigated by the FBI and the cop was fired. Her death is sad and an individual has a right to be disrespectful to an officer and the officer was fired. Who knows why she killed herself

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think the more evidence that comes out the more clear cut this case is. The problem is that there is so much distrust out there because of cases like George Floyd and Philando Castile.

This is why getting a conviction of Derek Chauvin was so important and hopefully can build trust back up. I also think if the potential victim can speak out that will be very important.

mdrowe00, ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

seems the police actually used lethal force when they were supposed to in this case. Don't see any controversy here.

Sajan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

LeBitch should really stop tweeting so much. Dullard exposed.

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

How did you feel about Trump tweeting garbage multiple times a day?

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If LeBitch gets banned for tweeting threats to cops and fake news we can have that discussion

Downtown Sniper likes this.