1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Playoff Contention Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by napalm06, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This. Since Gordon went out it feels like there hasn’t been a peep about him. So crazy how it felt like we had so much depth. WOW looked good, Gordon and House off the bench was potent. Tate looked great. Young guys like KPJ and KMJ looked promising. That went bad real fast.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

neither are proof. The rockets just suck. Gordon had a non contact groin injury. he knew it was bad when it happened. that's always a significant injury. Of course he's going to be out for as long as he has. House is coming back to play tonight. He sprained his ankle less than two weeks ago and Silas said he'd miss 7-10 days

Reeko likes this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So what exactly are the terms? If they're .500 or above, you win. If they're below, I win.

You said "pushing" for 7th or 8th seed so I don't think it would be fair to you if we made it about will they or won't they make the playoffs, because you didn't make it seem like it was a guarantee.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Hey Hey Hey ... you're the one backing me in the corner! LOL - I should get the benefit of some parameters!

I'd keep the wager to the brass tacks and the main idea of OP and his thread - playoffs! If they make the playoffs I win the bet and if they miss the playoffs I lose. Overall record is secondary, but i'd say they hover withing +/- 3 games of .500.

Fair?

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Works for me

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

back to back to back
    [​IMG]

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

new streak for not making the playoffs otw

#27 YOLO, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Yeh... i'm referring to the guy who needed help - who got D12 and couldnt meld... then got CP3 and later demanded we get rid of him (bc he didnt want somebody holding him accountable) so we got bent over to get his buddy WB (who later demanded a trade - citing the toxic environment and lack of accountability for his buddy...). I get having uber respect for his ability - but he's a straight up narcissist. Folks can appreciate all the good years he provided - but i'm not giving him a pass on what he left in his wake...
    Additionally, yes the dude was a workhorse who we relied too heavily upon - but some of his 'high usage' was in garbage time bc he (and MDA) wanted to pad stats... lets just be real - the good with the bad...

Otherwise, yeh Tilman is crap... i'm not denying that at all... if people wanna use that as a rationale to excuse all of Hardens behaviors... i guess thats a matter of perspective...

I dont think we know what we have... i believe once Wood went down we went into full tank mode - with Wall as tank commander.... I think yer gonna see dropoff among players when they know that winning is not desired...

I think we are planning to tank 1 more year to gather assets...

Personally, I like Wood a lot (would rather see him at the stretch 4 though with a real center), I think KPJ has potential, I'm not about the Wall hate bc i think he's the guy in charge of the tank job (at detriment to his own value - but willing bc he has a long fat contract to rebuild his value), Tate will be a decent bench rotational player, Ego is a decent rotational player, KMJ may be a decent bench rotational player... add a couple lottery pix (or vet equivalent) to the mix and I think we are a middle of the road playoff team... not championship level - but playoffs...

I think Tilman is along the same lines as Sterling was... you can make a crapload of money owning an NBA team if you keep expenses down and just field a mediocre team. If an owner wants to spend hard and heavy - it can payoff... or it can rack up some huge expenses without garnering the desired return... For us, sports is a passion - for most owners its a business...

9. DonatelloLimestone

That needed help ? Cmon, Like every other star in the nba. Like MJ who lost 7 straight years dominating the league, also playing heavy minutes(including garbage minutes) until the right coach and supporting cast took to the next level? Like LBJ who also lost for 7 straight years while dominating the league in heavy minutes(including garbage minutes) until he went to Miami to play with a better cast and get the W.

It’s not an either or thing, I definitely don’t think harden isn’t blameless. Plenty of times I’ve thrown my remote at the guy getting frustrated , but no mistake that tillman watered down the team, the quality of the team and margins each and every year. Tillman would volunteer the dumbest things to the media and heck he ever bragged that he pushed the paul trade through, when it was reported morey had harden in line to run it back, coincidentally Chris Paul doesn’t seem to blame harden like you do:
    Former Houston Rockets guard Chris Paul was on the Knuckleheads podcast with Darius Miles and Quentin Richardson and explained the impact of the Rockets losing Ariza.

“People don’t realize, that’s the biggest thing that we missed. That was tough when we lost [Ariza] because he sorta was like the glue. He was that glue for our team.”

You need role players, you need depth. Each year they make big plays throughout history as the unsung history, but espn sells it as some 1-1 myth and it never was Ike that. And now he is playing more unselfish and more efficient than ever, because he has the talent and depth to do so. But to do what he did in high minutes, to lead the league in points, then in assists, reinvent your game, moves, while being a number one target in the best league of the world for a marathon of not just one 82 game season, but several ...that straight up takes mental grit, determination, persevere to be not just great, but historic. It’s no wonder that the players respect him more than the Media narrative. His mom is his agent, hes quiet and not a great speaker, but somehow when it came to the nbpa players MVP he’ has taken multiple home.

Here’s the full transcript from the Lowe podcast:
    The full monologue from MacMahon:

That trade was made because Tilman Fertitta wanted it made -- he thought Chris Paul's contract was the worst that he'd ever seen in business or sports -- and because James Harden wanted it made. James Harden, obviously there was a personality clash, this stuff has all been well documented and well reported. I still believe, and I wrote this last summer before things went down. I still believe that if necessary they could have managed that situation; I know a lot of people throughout the organization believe that.

But once Westbrook became available, they saw an opportunity that Fertitta and Harden wanted to pounce on, and they pounced on that. Daryl Morey was the biggest Chris Paul backer in the organization. Nobody -- Daryl or anybody else -- has ever told me that he made that trade with objections, that he made that trade despite not fully believing in it. But I just can't help but think that it was a deal where basically, his two bosses -- Fertitta and Harden -- said 'hey, we want this deal made, get it done.' And he did what he had to do to get it done.”

I agree with you otherwise. I’d like to see Wood play a strech 4 and stagger at the 5. But I love his talent and he keeps wanting to get better. I love KPJ talent and I can see him in a manu or Lou Williams role, maybe off the bench main creator but finisher and huge part of winning. I see Tate as a glue guy starter. KMJ has the potential for that or great energy of the bench, love how physical he is and if he can keep getting his shot consistent. We have to have luck go our way, 52 percent chance at a top 4. And I agree, we’re probably tanking next year too and hopefully get some talent.

Tillman sort of has the personality of a sterling/dolan, total lack of awareness but egomaniac and he probably wants to be more of a celeb then both, but his spending habits aren’t like dolan who will spend, which now with current nba economics if you want to win you have to do, otherwise we will be like Indiana just prepetually mediocre hoping for some excitement and entertaining enough for fans to pay and enough for tillman to cash checks. That’s probably the sweet spot for owners who want to make money, Great for the ferttittas, terrible for us Houston fans.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I dont know what's going on in here but it doesn't feel like appreciation