1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin as a Santa Cruz Warrior on a Teacher Salary

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by lnchan, Jan 19, 2021.

1. DonatelloLimestone

Yea, Yao was a beast in the post. But it took a lot of energy and space to set him up. Adelman seemed more flexible and could’ve used him as Divac because Yao had incredible vision. He was so tall could get the ball at the FT line much easier with a toss up and he can hit that shot in his sleep. Ewing was a great, but Yao was more offensively gifted than him.

tinman likes this.
  2. DonatelloLimestone

I’d say durability is concern and also upside obviously at his age. But to be honest the Dleague is a grind, you got guys playing defense like its the playoffs every night because they are trying to show up, and this is against former stars in college or on the cusp nba players and Lin seems to have found a great pace there.

I still think he can be a contributor, at the least he’s better or matched then most of end of the bench players. I’m honestly surprised tillman didn’t take a swing because you’ll get a lot of fanfare and jerseys sold with him even if your team is not going anywhere.

yoeddy likes this.
  3. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

4. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Jordan Poole is all you need to know about Lin and the Dubs.

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

not even sure why he thought going to the g-league was a good a idea. he's a known commodity. he's not gonna move the needle for a contender and he adds nothing to a rebuilding team. no amount of showcasing in the gleague is gonna change that.

6. yoeddy

Yeah, but what was the alternative? Seemed pretty obvious that playing in the CBA wasn't going to help. At least with the G-League he had the benefit of being in the country and playing in games where NBA GMs/scouts/etc would be watching...and he'd be available to meet or work out if someone was interested. Also, maybe was influenced by the pandemic and wanting to be close to family (or at least not outside our borders with the possibility of not being able to get back in). In any case, I'm guessing he knew it was a long shot in any case.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That would make him a great tank commander pit stop; does nothing to move the needle and will bring fans out of the woodwork, especially in Asia.

vlaurelio likes this.
  8. vlaurelio

help what? no one NBA team needed him after TO and nothing he could have done will change that.

9. yoeddy

Exactly. But he wanted to keep trying. Can't fault him for that.

10. vlaurelio

not faulting him for trying for something impossible

just pointing out that

he knew he wasn't gonna move the needle for any contender and he doesn't offer anythig to a rebuilding team

can't fault teams as well for not needing him

at then end I guess he can go back to CBA just be like Starbury make the most of it and never look back that's what Marbury did

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Starbury got paid a crap ton for essentially playing YMCA ball. Doesn't he even have a statue over there or something?

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He was done as a good contributor when he played with the Raptors.

After he tore that Patella, he lost his best attribute as a player which is athleticism. He's not the most skilled player at anything, but his athleticism and quickness made him useful. With that gone, he doesn't offer much.

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  13. yoeddy

I actually think it was more of a mental-pressure thing for him when he got to Toronto. He was playing well-enough in Atlanta...well-enough that Toronto thought there was something there (the talk at the signing was for Lin to take VanVleet's minutes). He basically went from a garbage-time-no-pressure situation with Atlanta to a heavy spot-light on a well-oiled team where he needed to step in and play at the highest level...and honestly, I think that pressure got to him.

14. yoeddy

JLin calling it...

15. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

LOF ......... We are here for you. Jk, get off this board forever.

xtruroyaltyx and yoeddy like this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So why could he be shut down by having somebody front him?:eek:

17. DonatelloLimestone

i think the issue with the post is you have to have a good inlet passer and spacing to get that down. I'd argue watching those games they didn't do a good enough job taking advantage of his reach. Let alone the dogma of having to pound it in the paint. Yao was a threat almost instantly once you get anywhere in the 3point line. He had a strong fadeaway, a soft touch, foot work, handles in the post, and then a creative passer with great court awareness. If they were shutting him down, not sure they did a good job. He was pushing 20-25 a game once he figured it out, his fga high was around 17/18. There a variety of reasons for that and variables, but the narrative that he was 'soft' or not physical just wasn't accurate. His tree trunk legs unlike many of the extreme giants was a base that was hard to move and get around. I wonder if we tweaked it and went faster with more creative get it to him asap any point inside the 3 point line and let them go around him and respond to double teams would be a better way, maybe how they use them with more modern coaches at the time they played more traditionally. Hell of a talent, and a fun team

18. yoeddy

I'm here for the Nets now...

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The reason it was so effective was because Yao was so unathletic and you could not lob it into him.

I am talking playoffs.

Yes he would have been more effective in the modern NBA but Ewing was never affected much by a double team and he was just an all around better player.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Does this guy ever stop crying or being the “victim”? :rolleyes:

“I feel like in some ways the NBA's kind of given up on me.”
    “I’ve always known I need to jump through extra hoops to prove I belong so this was par for the course.”
    “For months, I saw others get contracts, chances, opportunities.”
    “To the next generation of Asian American ballers, …don’t worry whether anyone else thinks you belong. The world never will. If there’s any chance to doubt, they will.”

You had your 15 minutes of fame. Your 15 minutes are up. You wanna continue to play, go play overseas. The NBA isn’t out to “get you”. You aren’t a victim.