1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sugar Land Space Cowboys

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by marks0223, Nov 16, 2020.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

AAA finna be A1. James Harden will eat his steaks there.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm sure it's been posted, but... obligatory:

[​IMG]

Gif

#GoSkeets

3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

4. msn

msn Member

Want.

5. vince

vince Member

What's wrong with naming a team after the much loved Mosquito.... Now what type of person doesn't like them caring blood suckers!!! LOL

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm so excited about this.

RockFanFirst likes this.
  8. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I wonder what the capacity limits will be. I have a feeling these could be hot tickets early on in the season. 20 minutes from my driveway to their parking lot.

9. Buck Turgidson

Baseball coverage in Austin has shifted back to 90% Rangers

Uprising likes this.
  10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Need to get a new New Era cap. I would get season tix if I were still in town (assuming also I’d be living with my parents minutes from the stadium) lmao

11. Radricky

Radricky Member

It's not as bad as it used to be.
    At least academy has Astros stuff now.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

One crazy thing is that there’s not even an Astros radio affiliate in Austin or San Antonio right now. I do not understand that at all.

13. Radricky

Radricky Member

I didn't realize there was no radio affilate.
    We need to move the woodpeckers to the Kyle/san marcos area lol

Uprising likes this.
  14. vince

vince Member

Not surprisingly since Astros were vilified by all of MLB for the sign stealing, when it was know everyone was doing it. It seems the Union memo about players not being obligated to say anything didn’t reach the Astros until after they sang like canaries. All other players who got the memo, stayed mmm’s the word and bit their tongues.

It was deflection, all talk of juiced balls is a non topic now.

The Ryan Astros fallout also sealed the deal, as the round rock franchise is owned by the Ryan family (at least I think they still own it).

15. msn

msn Member

Ryan will fall out with the Rangers (again) in another few years. Before long, Round Rock will be an Independent League team, or they'll make friends with another MLB team for a few years before falling out.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Nolan Ryan is pretty old. His kids seem a little more pragmatic than him. I would predict they will eventually just sell the Express to the Rangers. This would be more likely after Nolan is no longer involved, but might happen sooner just because of the universal trend of MLB teams buying all their minor league affiliates. The Ryan’s might eventually own an independent league team but it won’t be the Express. I could also see it playing out where the Ryan’s become part owners of the Rangers (similar to how the Sugar Land Skeeters owners became part owners of the Astros).

Seems like Houston is going to cede central Texas (Austin) to the Rangers and have their market be Houston and south Texas (Corpus). Surprising to me that neither team is making a bigger play for the San Antonio market.

17. vince

vince Member

From what I know of San Antonio, those people are Cowboys all the way in NFL. And they are all about the Spurs in the NBA. As far as baseball, I think they just pull for either the Astros or Rangers if they are playing well, San Antonio fans I know won’t keep up with a losing Astros or Rangers team.

I think Rangers and Astros might have equally agreed to stay out of San Antonio and share the market. But that’s just my observation.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. Radricky

Radricky Member

I've been saying for years that the Kyle/san marcos area needs a minor league team.
    People who live that far south don't want to drive on 35 to round rock

Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I thought San Marcos or New Braunfels would have been the ideal location for the MLS team as a way to draw from both Austin and San Antonio.

I do think it’s possible the San Antonio metro folks just don’t care about baseball like Vince said. The Spurs dominate their sports landscape and the Cowboys eat up the rest. But it wouldn’t shock me if an independent league team could do well in San Marcos.

20. Buck Turgidson

San Antonio has had minor league baseball since the 1890's. AA/AAA since 1946. Averaged ~5000 fans a game in '19.

msn and Snake Diggit like this.