1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade/Mobley/Green fits moving forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Apr 20, 2021.

1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

There is always a chance the NbA removes the one and done rule. Emoni could go in either of the next two drafts.

2. Bo6

Bo6 Member

let's get the pick first........

3. sydmill

sydmill Member

Silas has not inspired this season. No doubt. But I dont think that the Rockets are considering making a move there. Regardless, if next season is going to be another suckfest I guess Silas is as good as anyone to steer the ship. I want to like Silas, I want him to be successful but if he doesnt produce better results next season then he has to be gone. With regard to the rest of the team I would do the following:

1 - Exercise Bradley's option and then move him for draft capital: I think New Orleans would have interest for a second rounder or 2 (they have 4).

2 - Draft BPA at the top: The Rockets need a franchise player and I think there are 3 or 4 of those available in this draft. If you can pick Cade-Mobley-Kuminga or Green you pull the trigger and start putting pieces around that guy (the purpose of this exercise).

3 - Draft complimentary pieces with remaining picks: For example, if you get Mobley add a more traditional big (Bassey?) and some offensive wings (Christopher? Hyland?) with your remaining picks to help lighten his load. If you get Cade look for 3&D players to keep the floor spread.

4 - Figure out what to do with John Wall: KPJ is penciled in at the 1, will Wall accept a role off the bench? If not I think you have to begin thinking about buying him out or attaching a couple of picks to break up his contract. Regardless he cant go into next season as the starting PG (and truthfully Id rather have Augustin coming off the bench).

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don’t expect him to stay longer than a year but Just saying as of now he’s committed Michigan st.

5. Lloyd Estacio

Lloyd Estacio Member

Wiseman over Lamelo too

Bo6 likes this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I'm seeing Kuminga comparisons to Anunoby, Aminu and Jalen Brown. Sometimes Siakim mentioned.

Here is tidbit breaking down some of Kuminga. Remember he turned 18 this past October. Basically a highschool kid going
    up against some men, like Amir Johnson and Jarret Jacks in practice or games.
    https://ca.nba.com/news/2021-nba-dr...layer-comparisons-/11dsklbxfsdaw1v9u31g1umb4t

ESPN Jonathan Givony wrote
    Kuminga Strengths: Has an ideal physical profile for a combo forward at 6'8" and 225 pounds with a 7'0" wingspan.
    Possesses an outstanding frame and is explosive in the open court with an impressive combination of strength, quickness
    and fluidity.
    -shows intriguing shot making prowess, making 42 three pointers in 19 Nike EYBL games, Has smooth mechanics and looks capable
    of making jumpers in a variety of ways, including off the dribble and even running off screens at times.
    -Has excellent defensive potential when engaged. Strong enough to defend big men but has quick enough feet to stay in front
    of guards.

Projected role: two-way forward. I will say UNLV Larry Johnson with an ability to shoot 3's and produce like Pippin in the open court.

7. sydmill

sydmill Member

I love kuminga but that is the description is a first ballot hall of famer. Pre injuries LJ was a BEAST and scottie pippen was, well, Scottie Pippen.

napalm06, ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Trading Bradley for a 2nd would be sweet.

Draft Bones Hyland with 26th pick in first round and Scottie Lewis with that 2nd round pick.

sydmill likes this.
  9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Also talks about him reclassifying and going to college this year.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup, I read that earlier this week. well see what happens with that

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well I'm not saying the complete game of Pippin. Open court ability of Pippin.

Not moving people around like 250 pound Larry Johnson.....235 pound UNLV Larry Johnson. Which could also move some people.
    Currently played around 222 pounds, I can see Kuminga getting to 238 pounds by the end of 22/23 season. 16 pounds more at age 20. Kid has some
    shoulders if you look at current pictures......and only 18 years of age.

He will have to work on shot selection.....but unlike Larry Johnson and perhaps Pippin, already a better 3-point shooter. As noted 42 (3's) in
    19 Nike games. Was shooting 3's good enough in G-league to start the season.....then tailed off with injury.

I can see him improving his shot selection and consistency with shot from mid range and from 3 as a pro early. He had
    to adjust or adapt to playing against men, unlike college ranks and zone defenses. Jalen Green and Kuminga were caught flat footed
    at times defensively.......but Mobley would have looked just as bad in the G-league. Don't let anyone fool themselves.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

We need to go BPA and to my eyes that’s Cade. “Fit? We talking about fit?” We’re last in the nba so we don’t really have a team to “fit” into. ;)

but to more directly answer the OP’s question, I think u run the offense through Cade, surround him with versatile 3 and D guys, with Wood as an offensive weapon in the paint. If Tate and KJ can improve their long range shooting they can be the type of guys we need.

#52 Aruba77, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    sydmill likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

those 42 threes came on 30% shooting tho...also shot 63% from the line

in the G-League, 25% from three on 5 attempts a game, and 63% from the line on 4 attempts a game

He wasn’t shooting threes good enough in the G-League to start the season. His 1st 10 games from 3: 1-4, 1-5, 2-6, 0-3, 2-3, 1-5, 0-7, 2-5, 1-8, and 0-5

that’s 13-51 from 3 to start off his stint in the G-League...he never tailed off with his shooting, he was just terrible from game 1

then he finished out the year 1-2, 2-5, and 0-7

That doesn’t worry u?

maybe he finds an adequate jump shot in the league, but it’s not a guarantee...if he doesn’t, he might end up as Cam Reddish

#53 Reeko, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes I finally found a game log for him. My memory was off.
    First 5 games was 5 of 27 for 19% on a good amount though, that's 5.4 (3-point) attempts.
    Next 6 games was 9 of 27 for 33.3% on 4.5 (3-point) attempts per game. This is the stretch I was thinking about.

In those 42 (three's) that was in 19 games during Nike EYBL games.2.2 makes per game. Mobley shot 1.2 per
    attempts game this season with USC.
    Often you can read commentators and scouts saying Mobley could have and should have shot more, because he was open often
    and didn't take the shot. Mobley shot 30% from 3.

Mobley reminds me of Terrence Jones when he was going into free agency. TJ would take one 3-point shot and if
    it went in, then attempt another.....being no worse than 50% from 3 in that game. TJ was more concerned with his 40%
    from 3 going into free agency then just playing ball. Mobley was too protected and obviously groomed
    for the draft by USC and his handlers. I will take a DaVion Mitchell who played hard, didn't none defensively, and didn't mind falling
    to middle of the first round. Won a College Championship while taking chances. Unlike Mobley. Where's the heart?

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Maybe it would be better if we characterize it this way... We don't know what pick we'll get or if it will be in the Top 4, but if we get one of those top 4, how would each fit into our system and who would be want to put around them.

#1: Cade Cunningham - We get #1 and go with the consensus best player. Cade fits well in the backcourt with KPJ, but had the flexibility to play and defend 1-3. Is our starting SG and handles the ball when KPJ is not on the floor. Can also play small ball SF with KPJ at SG and Augustin at 1.

#2: Evan Mobley - We miss out on #1, would our consolation prize is a skilled 7'er. Mobley starts the season on the bench backing up Wood and Olynyk, but begins earning more minutes down the stretch. His ability to pass, shoot and protect the rim gives us a solid 3-big rotation.

#3: Jalen Green - We slip to third, but draft the most dynamic player in this class. Green starts at SG and with KPJ becomes the most athletic backcourt in the league. They make their share of mistakes, but oh my they're super exciting and their speed pressures every team in the league. Green needs some more time in the gym to work on his shot, passing and defensive positioning, but he's twinkling like a star.

#4: Jonathan Kuminga - Headline reads, "HOU passes on Gonzo star Suggs, for Kuminga"... while he's raw in the early going, he starts to find his rhythm around mid-season. He provides a 2nd bruiser with Tate that hustles and finds a way to score, rebound and defend. He'll spend the off-season working on his offensive moves.

I'll pause there, because this offseason will be very important for shaping our future. If we get a Top 4 pick consider that a blessing. The later two picks in the mid-20's could yield a couple of good prospects or could be used to help jettison bloated vet contracts.

First, I'd resign Olynyk, Augustin, Brooks and either Brown or Nwaba for reasonable deals. With Wood, KPJ, Tate and Martin that gives us a solid 7-8 man rotation. Next, I look at who else to sign if I can get them reasonably--DJ Wilson could be a 4th big man. DJ has some potential and I like his hustle, but needs to get tougher. Exum is still young, but just can't stay healthy, maybe a vet min, 1-yr prove it contract or release him.

Trade/Buyout/Release candidates: Wall, Gordon, Bradley, House, Exum, Brown or Nwaba. Stone has been pretty creative with big contracts, so maybe he can find some package that combines some of the assets we have to jettison some of the bloat and age. Worse case we keep Wall and Gordon, but find some additional draft capital for House, Bradley and maybe a sign-in trade for Nwaba. I know I'm in the minority, but Wall may still be a fit with a contender if he can stay healthier next year (Yes, I'm a dreamer). His speed is lethal and I think he's trying to do too much on this team because he's the Alpha, thus he's terribly inefficient. On a better team, with another Alpha or two he could be a nice 2B or 3 option.

If we do keep the other 1st rd picks, I'd like to see try to combine assets to move up.

sydmill likes this.
  16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Pistons went with fit at #2 with Darko, passing on Melo and Wade

Bo6 and don grahamleone like this.
  17. bmelo

bmelo Member

You always should take best player in the draft. You can always trade him later, I can't really understand those fit picks. I think it never worked. Oden was over Durant too because of "fit"

BigShasta likes this.
  18. ball king23

ball king23 Member

I like cade I think he is one you have to look at Mobley and suggs Green and

Jonathan Kuminga

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

For anyone who feels informed enough to answer this question, please do so. I am not informed enough to answer it, so that is why I'm throwing it out there to get others' opinions.

Please rank the top 5 guys by their "love of basketball" / "commitment to basketball" / "commitment to improve"

What I'm trying to find out is, which of these guys (if any) will be the guy who obsesses about improving his game? Who will put in all the extra hours? Who is a true leader? Which of these guys will try to improve each and every year - even after they get that huge payday?

Just to be clear, these are the 5 I'm talking about: Cade, Mobley, Green, Suggs, Kuminga

Feel free to rank by 1-5 or by tiers or by however you feel comfortable.

Corrosion and don grahamleone like this.
  20. sydmill

sydmill Member

Not sure how much of an answer this is but Suggs is considered the intangibles guy.

Haymitch likes this.