1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

I'm with you on perceived upside. I'd take Cade, Green, and Mobley in that order. That being said, Suggs is still a 6'4 guard with plus athleticism, defense and great basketball IQ. He might not have an obvious "elite" talent right now, but he does a lot of things well and won't hurt your team. If the Rockets end up picking at 3 or 4, I wouldn't be upset with a Suggs pick.

I think Suggs can play off-ball. Gonzaga ran a decent amount of off-ball screens for him, and he saw a lot of time on the floor with Andrew Nembhard, who's no slouch at PG. I think his development would be maximized with a defined lead ball handler role, but I wouldn't pass on him just because of KPJ.

Corrosion, BossHogg713 and YOLO like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

How do u rank the consensus top 5 prospects in terms of preference?

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

tbh the only 3I have seen all year are cade, suggs, and mobley. I can't speak on green/kuminga bc I honestly don't know much about them at all.

As far as the other 3, 1a and 1b are cade/suggs. Both guys fit what the modern nba is about. versatile ball handlers with the ability to shoot and create. good size and high iq type players. Mobley has a ton of potential as a big. But it's just hard to gauge how he is going to be. I don't think he's that embiid mvp caliber type player. He gives me some Myles Turner vibes. Long and Lanky defensive presence. Plays at a slower pace. Has somewhat of a jumper. But Turner has spent so much time injured to this point. He'll need good guards for him to truly excel.

#1043 YOLO, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    saleem and Reeko like this.
  4. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

What’s the difference between Cade and Lamelo?

Lloyd Estacio likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I’d never hold it against you if you’re wrong. Guys being paid for this get it wrong more often than they get it right. Interesting points. I like Suggs...Mobley scares me mostly because i don’t see the league as a big man’s league anymore, and I feel like teams miss more on bigs than guards (by percentage) but I have no idea if that’s correct. Just feels like the bust factor with bigs is massive. I think Suggs is really smart and has the size to play the position really well.

to be clear, I think Cade is clearly #1 with no close second. But i think the guys available 1-4 are really good...i think it’s a really good year to have a top level pick.

Corrosion, D-rock and BossHogg713 like this.
  7. MadMax

Cade is much bigger...a couple of inches taller, but a much bigger upper body. He’s a bit of a freak.

8. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

For these guys, I like Cade the best. But Chet Holmgren looks much better than all of them, I hope we just give our rookie all the minutes without really caring about winning so we have a shot to pair him Chet. And beyond that, Emoni is something special. He's the level of prospect that only Luka, AD, LeBron KD, and Oden were. I'd say 99% superstar rating. I'm almost sure that Emoni will be better than any of these guys in 10 years. If only there was a way to fast forward to that draft instead.

9. MadMax

I need to see Chet play the college game first. Watching him dunk in highlights against high school kids isn’t enough for me.

saleem, D-rock and Sooty like this.
  10. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

That's completely fair but the fluidity for the size is completely freak level and is a very rare thing. Add the shooting to that and you have 2 very very high level skills that should translate to any level. I'm usually wary of judging big men too early but imo Chet isn't a big man, he's like a giant 3 similar to Poku from OKC. You're free to wait for more evidence to join the bandwagon but that'll just leave you with worse seats when you get on. That said, Emoni is even BETTER than Chet which is absolutely insane. I'm cool with missing out on Chet but I really really really want a shot at Emoni.

MadMax likes this.
  11. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

What is Chet elite at?

Having a big man who can handle the rock is great but if there’s someone 4 inches shorter who handles it the at and elite level and all other things the same, you take the smaller guy.

Emoni looks like he has a few elite traits for sure. Again, need to see him at the next level.

saleem and D-rock like this.
  12. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I'm not gonna wax poetic about Chet because while I recognize the potential I'm not in love with his game like I am Emoni. I'm Emoni all day every day. What I will say though is that when you reach a certain height like Chet has, just moving in general with the agility of a normal sized human is a big deal. Just living his life without looking like an oaf is a leg up on most people his size. On the court, he has the fluidity and balance of much smaller players and that's something that should translate.

On the idea of "seeing it on the next level" before making a judgment, sure that's the safe thing to do but at that point you're not really making a prediction or anything your just describing what you see. I don't do it often, but when I really really believe in a prospect, I'll call it no matter how early it may be even without having to wait for the next level. The last time I had a comparable level of faith in a prospect was Luka and I was saying that he'd be a future MVP over a year before he was drafted; I found out about him while studying on the Fultz draft. I don't like him as much as Luka, but Emoni is close. Close enough for me to confidently say that he's a sure thing.

Sooty likes this.
  13. BreakYoSelfFool

I think Steve Smith is the perfect comparison for Cade Cunningham. A guy that didn't create off the dribble, but could make tough contested shots. Got buckets off post game, pick n roll, and catch and shoot. Pure shot, clutch, and great passer for his size and still could be a team leading scorer. I think Luka is not a good comparison at all, Luka has great handles and is great at creating off the dribble, breaking ankles with his cross over or step back. I think Cade will have a similar impact as Steve Smith, great player but not superstar. He could fit almost any role on the court depending on need. I'm curious how good Cade will be in the post against grown men, but he seems to have great positioning and leverage. Rule changes made it harder to have an impact in the post than it was in Smith's time, but Cade seems to be able to win quickly in the post.

18pbr likes this.
  14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Just did ten spins at the ole tankathon.

9 times we fell out of the top 4, once, we got 3rd.

****ing nightmare.

saleem, Sean Dr34ms and D-rock like this.
  15. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Yep. It’s a coin flip and you only get one shot.

saleem, Sean Dr34ms and D-rock like this.
  16. BreakYoSelfFool

I think Mobley is NBA ready, he is a skilled big who was a guard that grew to 7ft. He is a Center, but a Center for today's game. He is a great shooter for 7ft and is probably the best defender in the draft. He's not AD or Dirk, but maybe Bosh / KAT like. I think he can come in and have an impact immediately. A lot of the big men were drafted on Potential vs current ability. Guys like Ayton and Wiseman were not ready and it usually takes 3-5 years for bigs to develop.

Kuminga is also a very intriguing prospect who could be a number 1 pick some years with his defense. He has the build and athleticism to be Kawhi or and he is much more developed than Kawhi when he came in the league

MadMax likes this.
  17. HardenVolumeOne

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I just did 30 and I think we will end up with #2 pick. Jalen Green come on down!!

20. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Worst case scenario with a fix. Tell me what y’all think.

Situation: Rockets and wolves lose their pick due to swaps. OKC gets the Rockets pick at 5 and GSW get the wolves pick at 4. We get to the 4th pick and Suggs is still available. GSW decide that they want to give it one or two more runs at a championship with Steph, Klay and Dray.

Possible Trade:
    GSW in - Wood, Gordon and the Milwaukee pick that the Rockets own via swap in 2021.

Rockets in: 2021 frp used on Suggs, Wiseman and Wiggins