1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DC Statehood

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Mar 23, 2021.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

As Congress prepares to take up D.C. statehood, national support grows
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/washington-dc-statehood-national-support-congress/

Sorry. D.C. Statehood Isn’t Likely
    https://time.com/5948974/why-dc-statehood-isnt-likely/

mdrowe00 likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

Love when historians get a chance to ridicule politicians...

quikkag and mdrowe00 like this.
  3. NewRoxFan

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Repugs are against DC statehood just like they support voter suppressioon and oppose virtually anything that will make the country more democratic. How else can you control the country when the majority is against you.

quikkag and edwardc like this.
  5. NewRoxFan

6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

These folks should be able to vote. Maryland should annex this area.

basso and edwardc like this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Puerto Rico should also be a state, and PR could easily become another Florida from a voting perspective that could be more Republican than you might think in just a short period of time.

Republicans only think in the near short term. They only think about rigging elections instead of how to actually win them long term.

The fact is both territories deserve statehood. Has nothing to do with politics.

edwardc likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

Except... dramatic differences in taxes, laws, contracts, housing costs, lifestyle... and, of course the whole desire for self-determination. But good to see you support DC statehood.

9. NewRoxFan

Interesting to note that republicans did support statehood for DC and Puerto Rico in the past.

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/readers-opinion/guest-commentary/article248815500.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/03/22/dumbing-down-dc-statehood-debate/

quikkag and mdrowe00 like this.
  10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. Maybe Virginia can throw them a bone then. While I enjoyed living in Houston, I sought out an area in Texas with much better taxes, lifestyle, and housing costs.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

How is Vidor anyhow? Do they have a Cheddars?

Rashmon and ROCKSS like this.
  12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

You are barking up the wrong tree.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You said affordable housing/taxes in Texas. I'm just being real here lol. Chill.

Astrodome likes this.
  14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Avoiding MUD taxes is key. But yeah, Vidor isnt for me.

15. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A step toward statehood? Is making D.C. the 51st state a more popular move than packing the supreme court?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/20/bid...action-as-house-prepares-to-vote-on-bill.html

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I agree. I'd like to keep the federal government in a district outside of state government, but it needn't include so many people who are unaffiliated. Shrink DC to the footprint you need and cede the rest of it to a neighboring state.

From one end of Florida to the other, you have differences at least as dramatic. Diversity in a state doesn't mean people can't coexist in the state.

I understand people don't like that some sparsely populated states get to have just as many senators as highly populated states, especially when they send idiots to the Senate. By the same token, I don't want to see postage stamps like DC and Rhode Island getting as many senators as my very large and highly populated home state. I know we keep sending idiots to represent Texas in the senate. It's a constant embarrassment. But they're our idiots. What if some day Texans wise up, elect good senators, and then are totally diluted by senators from tiny provinces that think 700,000 is somehow a lot of people. Screw that. DC is too tiny. No senators for them.

Puerto Rico, sure.

quaczar and Astrodome like this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

from what I've read, Maryland is the stumbling block in the plan to re-incorporate D.C. into the state of Maryland. This would shift the balance of power in the state from Baltimore (with approx 500k voters) to Washington (the 700k voters or thereabouts mentioned above). That would give Washington voters a voice and a vote, but Maryland (or perhaps Baltimore to be more precise) seems unwilling at the moment to accept such a plan

18. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Additionally, DC residents have this sentiment.

quikkag likes this.
  19. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

IMO DC should be its own state, don't merge in to Maryland or Va. Its ridiculous this hasn't been done yet......the fact that it helps Dems does not matter, but it sure is nice to know

edwardc likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

Rashmon and quikkag like this.