1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think everyone with a 401k goes into an ETF like that. Imagine if you could park it for a bit, get lucky, then come back in on a dip.

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I work with some people that roll over their 401k every 6 months because they want to actively manage it (which seems crazy to me).

Sajan likes this.
  3. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

this market is so silly its definitely possible hahaha. having tracked APPS for awhile tho, i think this is normal, it's just a super volatile stock, 5 year beta of 2.48 is higher than tsla.

Wanted to ask you, have you looked at SLGG super league inc b4, or familiar with their product? some insider buying recently. very high growth, low revenue, but they seem to have a user base and seem to have catalysts coming up (acquisitions, partnerships), so really requires looking beyond the numbers and assessing the strength of the biz moving forward, hoping you have some insight on them :). (If i remember correctly you are in gaming industry?)

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Other than putting them in an ultra conservative fund (as mentioned), the next closest option if you're thinking there's a major crash (which we all know timing a crash is hard etc.) - would be to see if your plan offers a loan option to borrow against the 401k. I know mine does and it's fairly low apr usually 3-5% fixed, the issue with this is you'd need to be fairly certain of the timing or make sure you're not holding forever unless you ended up using the money on some other investment you need to save or get in a deal on- because while there's no penalties for paying the loan early (and minimal fees like $50 for setting up the loan - at least on my plan), you're paying back the pretax loan with taxed income coming from your check on whatever terms you set (12-60 months).

But if you timed this right and took out the max 50% loan (or whatever your plan offers) and put it back once it crashed, it could be a nice return, then again if you're decades from retirement this might not be worth it, especially if you time it way off or a person isn't disciplined and uses the money elsewhere on depreciating assets.

With all that said, I do think the loan option is worth it though if you're trying to get into a real estate deal quickly (so like buying more real estate). I've done that in the past and it's worked out really well. There's also no penalty on tax and you get the funds fast.

Ziggy likes this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Fubo is working atm on some trash calls... Gotta watch momentum though.

Out for now.

#16105 CCity Zero, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I agree that timing this stuff is impossible. And I am not close to retirement. But after a great run last year I think it's a low risk play to sideline it for a few months... could potentially gain some major ground. Shave years off my projected retirement date.

I just sold a rental property, I kind of don't want another one quite yet, not in this area and market.

7. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I definitely understand on real estate, I'm in North Austin and am trying to take advantage of these silly prices atm on what I do own to potentially get more property further out... We'll see, I'm not sure yet on plans. Anyway, on 401k I mean if it's a similar fall back in March of last year it can be a nice play on the 401k loan - but really depends if your plan offers it, I just liked it vs removing the money and getting killed on taxes. Also, I know you wouldn't waste the money, I was mainly mentioning that in case someone comes in sees my post and uses the loan for a lambo or something, lol

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

See, I would not want the tax-hit on "moving" the 401k money "out" of the account. I want to leave the money in the account, just drop the current investments. Park existing cash. But not sure if that's possible. It is in an IRA.

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, I don't know of a way other than the loan option on my plan to really park it (it was at 100k max but I think it's lowered back to 50k after covid iirc) - I mean a 3% apr for a few months or so with no major tax implications/penalties for repaying early is a really nice way to sideline the money and if you're wrong it probably didn't jump up like it already has since last March (I don't know if my post earlier made sense but borrowing against yourself doesn't have any super major tax implications like doing an actual withdrawal would - ie it won't show up as income/a loan/impact credit or anything unless you default on it/if you left your company's plan etc, they'll want the money back or it'll be taxed at the harsh withdrawal rate).

Anyway, doing a standard withdrawal is awful and I completely agree w/ you, the only way I'd do that was something serious happened and I need to save actual investments (ie major crash and emergency funds are dried up/no loan option left on 401k- so you then use the withdrawal to save your residence/property etc assuming the investment makes sense and has value), I just meant a 3% apr on a loan for a month or two won't matter if you're right and the market goes down 40% or something crazy, since you're borrowing against yourself, you just put it back in and buy everything at a discount. - and then if you're wrong and put it all back anyway you still really didn't lose anything other than minimal interest if it was for a few months or something - especially if we're nearing the top of a bull run.

If you do find some other options for 401k definitely let me know me know though.

These probably explain it better - https://www.investopedia.com/articles/retirement/08/borrow-from-401k-loan.asp

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/when-and-when-not-to-borrow-from-your-401k-2019-03-04

I think the 2nd article highlights the whole borrowing in a bull market before the crash/heavy correction. I'm definitely not advocating anyone do this without knowing about their plan, but it's a nice option that some people don't know about. - so definitely not financial advice or something, I just think it's useful in certain situations.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We'll be trading seeds and toilet paper with DOGE.

I'm not sure what that reddit link means...some shadiness with market makers?

CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  12. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Huawei. Really impressed, some tricky situations in the later part of the video. Seems ahead of tsla.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Several REITS and a few others at 52 week highs. I’m running out of things I feel comfortable putting money into.

scared :eek:

saitou and CCity Zero like this.
  14. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

getting slammed today.
    boeing looking enticing.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's all over man. New SEC Chairman. Inflation. Hedge funds getting margin called. Dominoes falling.

AWIN likes this.
  16. AWIN

AWIN Member

GME go brrrrrrr lol

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Well that didn’t last long ouch

18. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Tbh I have never heard of SLGG until you posted about them. Their valuation, like most growth stocks, is ridiculous and their stats like revenue and users is not impressive imo. Buying SLGG stock now is pretty much like being a silent Series B investor in that in 2 years, it very well might start taking off or it could be bankrupt. That being said, I looked over their leadership profiles and was not impressed because A.) Lack of experience with games/eSports. And B.) Their head of product has never worked on a successful product. There's a saying in the VC world that you're not investing in a product or company, you're investing in a team, and imo I don't have confidence in their team to make a successful product.

That being said, the big day in digital advertising/mobile gaming has arrived. Starting next Monday, Apple announced they will start enforcing a new privacy standard which is going to screw IOS developers and advertisers big time (including FB). This should be a boon for APPS as they don't have IOS exposure but it might take 1 earnings cycle for the effects to come to the public eye.

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=ecvrtzt2

saitou likes this.
  19. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Call me conspiracist, nativist, or just American but I wouldn’t be interested in Huawei given their proximity to the CCP military.

20. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I have no intent on buying huawei, shared more in the context of tsla. Fanboys seem to think it's inevitable tsla's hardware light approach and data from existing users will win self driving (and y share price is justified); but it's not so clear to me. If you haven't, check out the video from 5:20 onwards, this seems very advanced, handling cars cutting in from opposite direction, jaywalkers, motorbikes squeezing in from the rear/side. Handled junction turns well too. Will be interesting to see side by side comparisons on the same streets.

NotInMyHouse likes this.