1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We’re All Wrong About Wall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Apr 13, 2021.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

we know you're not familiar with any of this, yet you keep posting as if you do. Once again his cap hit is still $32 mil for the pistons even though he got bought out. You're telling us it's not. That's the entire point. It's an incredibly easy concept

2. HROZ

HROZ Member

Finding a trade for Griffin -- who was owed a remaining $36.6 million this season and $39 million in 2021-22 prior to the buyout -- was an insurmountable challenge for the Pistons. Detroit finalized a reduction in his remaining salary to gain free agency with Griffin's agent, Sam Goldfeder of Excel Sports, since the sides mutually agreed he would leave the active roster on Feb. 15 awaiting a trade or buyout.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.es...ke-griffin-agree-contract-buyout?platform=amp

Okay here's the actual numbers
    This year he was owed 36 million but accepted 32.
    Next year he was owed 39 but accepted 29.

So he left 14 million on the table.
    Pistons get 4 million salary cap relief this year
    (This might have Luxury tax implications)
    And they get 10 million in cap space next year.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

In no way is this beneficial for Wall.

2021-$44 mil
    2022-$47 mil

A grand total of $91 mil at super max like I said from the beginning

You're telling us, he settles for $71 mil for the next two years.
    2021-$44mil
    2022-$27 mil

$71 mil is less than $91 mil he's guaranteed with the Rockets last i checked. Him giving back all that guaranteed money makes 0 sense. Which he absolutely won't, especially someone with his injury history who can't even play a full year

4. Le$$

Le$$ Member

John wall game is not real terrible. The truth is, he not a cornerstone player. Hes like a injured prone lou willams. I mean he was great when he was healthy. He not the same players anymore. Dude career was short. It happen in Washington, just like Westbrook career happen in OKC. These guys are still ok, but they aint leading crap anymore. Get that contract outie! lol

5. HROZ

HROZ Member

But he'd then be a free agent.
    He can sign with another team for those 2 years. As he will then be a free agent.

How many effing times do I need to say that.
    He signs with another team say New York for 2 years $30 million.

What is 71 + 30.
    He makes 10 mill more this way.

6. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

I dont believe you double dip. It comes off of what you are owed by your other team

DaDakota likes this.
  7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Ray Lewis with a basketball coming through in the clutch

8. HROZ

HROZ Member

You can double dip
    It's normally agreed in the buyout. Here's the relevant paragraph & link.

Teams are sometimes allowed to save money by setting off a portion of whatever the player’s new contract is, but the right to set-off is usually waived as part of buyout negotiations.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...market-explained-how-do-contract-buyouts-work

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

I've known this from the start.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

no matter how many effing times you say it is irrelevant because it's wrong. Your fantasy scenario makes absolutely no sense and you have no clue if anyone is going to even entertain the idea of signing him for significant money at this point. Dude is a walking injury. The fact that you're even proposing this for wall, illustrates the iq level alone.

Only a complete idiot with the injury history of wall and playing style would give up a guaranteed multi year supermax money remaining of $92 mil in a span of 2 years

#110 YOLO, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  11. HROZ

HROZ Member

I think he could command 2 years 30 million.
    But yes that's all speculation on both our parts. Life's a gamble in general. If he was to get another severe injury he'd get zero extra cash for the next 2 years.

But if he thinks he can get +20 mill in salary he's inctivised to do it.

Plus I expect Nuggets Esp but also many of the other contenders would be interested in him this season at minimum.
    He would hopefully be able to showcase his talents in the playoffs.

This has been fun lol.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wall has no clue how to lead a winning team.

DD

13. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

What are the implications of waiving the remainder of Walls contract ? Asking for a friend lol

Entropy likes this.
  14. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

I had hope that Wall would be a great leader for our young guys, but ever since Wood went down for that long stretch, it appeared like he changed his attitude to just trying to take care of himself, get in shape and get his reps in in live games, like an extension of practice. I can't say I blame him for how bad our roster was before and the continued lack of direction (subliminal commitment to tank). When you don't know the future of a franchise, and/or it hasn't clearly been laid out, it makes sense to at least take care of yourself ...

Granted, I think it would be a lot more fun to watch russ get triple doubles and us tank than to watch wall slowly work to get back to what he once was while we throw games. He's shown glimpses and wish him the best

15. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

Greatest tank master, keep him next season too!

16. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Hmmmm, who recently played here that fit that same description...trying to remember....Wes something or other.

17. Entropy

Entropy Member

I hope we keep Wall, then re-sign him to another 5 max year contract. I'm also a masochist, don't mind me.

18. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Interesting possibility: we land a top-4 pick and end up drafting Jalen Suggs. At that point, you have to make decisions as to who starts - Wall, Suggs, and KPJ in the starting lineup forces us to keep KJ on the bench next season though he should be starting. Also not sure how Suggs and Wall play together.

My guess is at some point we end up attaching a pick to Wall to get a team to take him.

19. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

As long as we’re on track for lottery and upping his trade value some how, I’m cool with it.

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you mean zero is too many?