1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel Movie] Shang-Chi

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Dec 4, 2018.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Tony Leung alone is worth the price of admission

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  2. CCorn

CCorn Member

@Jontro they should have gone with Tom Cruise

3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

They forgot to give him his glorious mullet.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

couldn't agree with you more. but i think he should've been tony stark

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

**** yeah!

I'm in.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I wonder if they're going to film Chinese-speaking scenes for the China release .

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

Did we need more super heroes with no powers though? I don’t even care to watch the movie about the one with big boobs.

Xerobull likes this.
  8. Entropy

Entropy Member

The actor they chose for Shang Chi is too ugly, pass.

Jontro likes this.
  9. Xerobull

He has powers. Watch again.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

he is probably going to get a couple of those rings from his father by the end of the movie.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've never heard of this character and just skimming some stuff about him, and seeing the trailer feels very stereotypical and not very original. I'm willing to give it a chance though and really like Tony Leung.

Also given how big Marvel is there are other Asian characters that could've been used without making a Chop Socky movie. I would be interested in seeing a movie about the early days of Melinda May from Agents of SHIELD. They could cast someone younger than Ming Na Wen.

Also maybe a Sunfire movie, without the Rising Sun costume.
    [​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm not Asian so I don't know, You got "Chop Socky" from this trailer? I got a lot of James Bond / DC League of Assassins -Ra's al Ghul, son of Batman from it - (Once again Feige beats DC to it's own property. This guy is a super villain for real, lol)

Of course the character was initially supposed to be Bruce Lee in comic form, and just like The Mandarin, had a lot of Problematic stuff in it, but you can tell Disney wants the bag and have rehabbed both characters so they can appear in contemporary Marvel movies.

They did the same for Black Panther.

jiggyfly and Invisible Fan like this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Shang Chi has been around Marvel Comics since the early 70's. He was the main character in the Master of Kung Fu comics from back then. His character was released around the same time Bruce Lee had become a worldwide celebrity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Kung_Fu_(comics). Though I don't know how the movie will take liberties with the character (I really don't watch Marvel movies -- I always fear they'll ruin the comics for me. lol).

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That League of Assasins HQ looked like a secret fighting compound for Mortal Kombat or Game of Death.

DreamShook likes this.
  15. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Agree. Didn't seem like a particularly novel storyline based on the trailer. Feel's like it's gonna be Dr. Strange-ish, a decent enough opening effort just to get him involved in the MCU. I prefer 'brief character intro in a movie with follow up solo film' route to the 'solo movie to a completely new character' route

Jontro and Xerobull like this.
  16. Xerobull

@rocketsjudoka

Shang-Chi was created in 1973 during the 70s Kung-Fu craze, so it’s no surprise that he seems pretty vanilla. I’m hoping that Marvel can work some magic and flesh him out to be interesting. I hope this is a gateway into seeing a lot of Asian characters in the MCU (without overly pandering to China’s politics)

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Is it out? I mean the date on the trailer was in March.

Unless 3.9.21 is in Euro time...which is Sep 3.

DD

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Decent trailer in terms of quality, but nothing to completely pull one in. I will see it.

As far as other films capturing part of the market, it's a lesson, build a world and profit. You don't make sequels. You make worlds. There are no small roles for characters. That said, Marvel did have an easy road since not only were these world already created, they had so much material they could pick and choose the best apples. So it's a lot easier for them to control the market, and they translate easy to film because of the picture board approach. So I think directors should strive to build worlds with their films, but it is a lot harder since they will be starting from scratch in most cases. That however, is what we want. I don't want to see three Divergent movies, boring, I want to see all of the characters woven together.

Xerobull likes this.
  19. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Is this the same 10 rings?

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

he azn. they all azn.