1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021: NBA Draft Hidden Jokic

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rockets13champs, Feb 6, 2021.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks. I think he could be worth a 2nd round pick if TF acquires one.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

5. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

Rockets need to take chances on a high upside player with one of the picks since we have a lot now. Like okc with poku

BHannes2BHonest, lionaire and saleem like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jwise44 likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

11. saleem

Ding Ding! We have a winner! Is there any player close to his skill set, height , length, quickness and IQ who might be available at the 17th pick if the Rockets end up there? I would love to read your comments to my inquiry.
    I hope you won't mind if I include @ApacheWarrior @D-rock and @Nook to this post.

Jwise44 likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

There is no 7 footer with guard skills like Poku in this draft.

Closest thing to a 7 foot unicorn is Mobley. Kai Sotto is overrated IMO.

2021 will have unicorns like Holmgren, Banchero, Bates.

But the 7'2 Wembayana is probably who you are really looking for. Not eligible until 2023.

Jwise44, ApacheWarrior and saleem like this.
  13. saleem

Thanks D-rock. Do you anticipate any high upside player falling down to where Miami is at right now who might be worth going after?

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Alperen Segun is expected to go around number 12; but I've run mock draft simulators showing him going as late as 28th.
    Probably most NBA ready big that can hold his own near the rim (for the most part) and has ability to shoot 3's.

Bassey was near 12th best prospect near end of Feb.....but then the tournament happened and ,
    "it's what have you done for me lately.". Out of sight out of mind has dropped Bassey.
    I've seen Bassey recently going early 20's; but it just takes one team to fall in love with him.
    Possibility of going in mid teens.

When you ask about Silas system fit as a big, you look for ability to:
    Offense
    screen
    roll to rim
    shoot FT line distance (for P-n-Pop)
    Shoot 3's (not every player.......Willie Cauley-Stein and Boban M)
    Defense
    Rebound / Block Out
    Block Shots (alter shots)
    PnR defense

Olynyk can do all the things on offense. I feel Segun and Bassey skill sets translate quickly to the NBA.
    Bassey playing for 3 years in college is a plus to me.....what's the difference of Christian Wood taking 3 years to mature
    while Bassey used that time while playing in college? Michael Jordan played 3 years in college and had a good NBA
    career. Reporter covering the conference said he saw Bassey the first year play like Lurch......but 3 years later
    look much quicker and possess much improved foot work.

Roko Prkacin probably will be there at 16 or 17. Like Bassey has dropped because of non activity. Will
    need to fill out and develop. Good potential eventually.

My prediction is Alperen and Bassey go before pick 20 because their skill sets are separate from the others.

Luka Garza intrigues me with his 24 points per game.....8.7 rebs(9.8 in prior yr)......44% (3P%) on
    3.2 attempts per game. But yeah probably too slow and grounded like Timme.

Sotto: noticed in highlights that I saw that they hide his legs. I don't believe his feet are fast, probably
    poor footwork. I wasn't impressed.

Neemis Queta has stats comparable to Bassey, but wore big knee braces which seemed to slow
    him down imo. Shoots no 3's. I don't trust his knees.....looked mechanical, imo.

Areil Hukporti......Big man, slow, much fewer blocks than Queta and Bassey. I'm guessing because he is slow.
    Does not shoot 3's. Long term project.

Greg Brown is 6'9" and 205 pounds, can do all, but is PF material.
    Kai Jones 6'11" and 218 pounds, I feel he is PF material. Played as backup this season.
    Less minutes than previous.

Sandro M is good option if we can obtain a second round pick or move back out of that 24 or pick 25 spot.

Problem is I feel the Rockets will sign Olynyk and that covers my need for power forward. Issue is need for
    the Center position. Calling Mobley a center doesn't fill the void at center in my opinion. I want a big that is
    quicker than Timme, Luka Garza, Dickenson (Michigan), Hukporti, Soto, others to play center.....and stronger
    than Kai Jones, Greg Brown, Day'Ron Sharpe,

7'1" Ibou Dianko Badji.......might be there at #16 or #17. Dikembe Mutombo type that may be able to shoot. 48% FT%
    would be an issue for me.

You have to ask yourself, what are you looking for? PF or Center? More than likely we have to look towards free agency for center position.

#34 ApacheWarrior, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  15. saleem

We have 3 picks. A European stash player could be useful, leaving two available. I believe Bassey will be gone before 20. He is strong, fairly athletic and mature. Roko Prkacin can be a decent big. I don't think Sotto has much upside. FA for center is okay with me. Go for BPA's is my motto. Go for guys with decent skills who can develop. Detroit did well with Siddiq Bey. I don't expect more than that.

D-rock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I agree.

I would draft Jalen Green or Cade Cunningham as best players available, but then draft according to need. If not, we
    may end up 5 PG's and no true centers. Or centers in training.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Kai Jones and Usman Garuba don't have Poku's particular offensive skills but they could have greater upside due to their freakish athleticism and size.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

All who should be available at 16th pick:

6'9 Franz Wagner - swiss army knife; can defend 2-5; secondary ball handler/short roller; rebounder; rim protection and improved 3ball (34% 3P).

6'8 Usman Garuba - think Faried energy running floor, physical box outs, explosiveness around rim with better length, better DEFENSE, developing 3ball, underrated passer.

6'10 Isaiah Jackson - pogo stick athlete with hands like glue; 7-5 wingspan + freakish bounce makes him disruptive defender; no 3ball but similar to Capela in ability and energy as roller/lob threat/garbage man. Skinny frame (only 205 lbs) like Nerlens Noel or Nic Claxton. Foul prone, tries to block everything.

6'11 Day'Ron Sharpe - thick, strong, smart big who does nothing elite but does everything very very well, especially rebounding. Underrated length, lateral agility and scoring ability. Smart player.

But I'm hoping a lottery pick talent with uber athleticism like 6'11 Kai Jones or 6'9 Jalen Johnson falls due to maturity concerns. Love their guard like skills, length, bounce + size of both guys.

Talented Guards/Wings that should also be available:

6'5 James Bouknight
    6'5 Josh Christopher
    6'4 Jaden Springer
    6'7 BJ Boston
    6'5 Ayo Dosunmu
    6'6 Chris Duarte
    6'2 Mile McBride
    6'5 Scottie Lewis
    6'3 Bones Hyland
    6'6 Terrence Clarke
    6'5 Joel Ayayi

Jwise44 and saleem like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

That second round is going to be crazy deep.

Love this kid, Gui Santos - high energy 3-D player at 6'8 with 7'0 wingspan. All around basketball skills - passer, can show and go, corner sniper, iso defender, tough rebounder, runs baseline to baseline with hair on fire, dives for loose balls with abandon.

20. saleem

Thanks. Where do you think Ziarie Williams will end up? He is talented, but he has one big drawback. He avoids physical contact.