1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tank Booboo? based on Percentages.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Just delete it then. Since rockets boobooed. Morey was at fault for this.

2. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Do you think they are voluntarily losing? Do you actually think of this squad woke up tomorrow and were like ok we are not going to tank anymore and start winning ?

Talent is keeping them from winning

3. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Exactly. The third worst record or the 28th overall means the Rockets will have 7% chance to land the seventh pick which will be conveyed to the Oklahoma thunder. You don’t want the thunder to have the fifth or the sixth pick.

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

So top 4 it wont back fire but to 3 it would?

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

You tank to secure the best pick for you first then worry about other teams next

6. jayfree

jayfree Member

The team with the worst record in the league has never picked outside of the top 3 for the lottery in the last 30 years (not counting trading the pick). I'll take those odds

dc rock and BamBam like this.
  7. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

True. But with 16 difficult games left and the Rockets have 4 more games in the loss column than the 4th worst place and the Rockets haven’t won in like forever. I am not worried about the Rockets not finishing in the bottom 3.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The current probabilities have only been in effect for a couple of years, so what happened 30 years ago doesn't really matter. In 2018, the team with the worst record had a 64% chance of getting a top-3 pick. In 2021, under the new lottery system, they would have only a 40% chance. Cleveland went from #2 to #5 last year (as an example). In 2019, a few teams with low chances of high picks got high picks. I think Cleveland and Phoenix had the 2nd and 3rd worst records but ended up with the 5th and 6th picks. The Pelicans and Grizzlies only had 6% chances of getting the #1 and #2 picks, but they got them. Pray for success, but expect disappointment because probability is a b****.

Astrodome and COMPAQ CENTER like this.
  9. HardenVolumeOne

is their a way we get miami first rounder, i saw on tankathon that we were listed with okc under the number 16 pick

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If the Rockets don't get a top-4 pick, OKC can swap their pick or the Miami pick (which they own) to us. Basically, if the Rockets don't land a top-4 pick in the lottery, OKC will keep the 2 best picks out of the theirs, Miami's, and the Rockets' picks and the Rockets will get the worst of the 3.

11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Right. Which is 28th. Because 28/29/30 all have identical lotto odds. So 28 is best choice because it’s same odds as 30 and also slightly screws OKC if it goes down that way. That’s all pretty esoteric though- anywhere in the bottom 3 is fine by me.

12. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

How many years do we have to worry about OKC taking our best pick if it’s not top 4? Is it just this year? God, what an awful trade that was.

13. jayfree

jayfree Member

I know it changed... and in the last 3 drafts the team with the worst record still picked in the top 3. Again, I'll take those odds.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The current system has only been in effect for the 2019 and 2020 drafts. As for taking those odds, the 2nd and 3rd worst records have the exact same odds as the worst record and in some cases, those teams did not finish in the top 3. I mentioned those earlier. So it's already been proven that the odds can suck for a bottom-3 team. Maybe we'll buck the trend, but I don't find 40% odds of staying in the top 3/60% chance of falling out very satisfying, but hey, we've got no choice. :D