1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe Johnson signs with the Detroit Pistons

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bratna8, Sep 12, 2019.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Rockets could really use him for our stretch run

2. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Maybe he doesn't, but at his age it's a serious possibility. You would think his body would be screaming at this point, but then again I've seen him do a strict stretching regiment before playing a pickup game at a gym in Little Rock. Seems to take care of his body at all times.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wut?

Does he money issues?

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He is 39 years old how is that a serious possibility?

Maybe he just loves basketball and sees how Lebron is still dominating.

5. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

A journeyman who is barely in and out of the league typically points to someone trying to earn a paycheck, if you ask me. Compared to someone like Lebron who has uninterrupted success. I'm just speculating. Doesn't negate the fact that NBA players should get serious financial advice from the league (if they don't already).

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Do you not know what how much Joe Johnson made during his career?

Plus 200 million he has never been considered a journeyman.

I still don't see how a guy who wants to keep doing what he has done the majority of his life has to be broke because he wants to keep playing.

Do you think Vince Carter kept playing because he was broke?

Do you think Jordan went to the Wizards and kept playing because he was broke?

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

He's most certainly a journeyman at this point in his career. He keeps getting picked up, cut, playing for BIG3 etc. I'm well aware he was the top NBA contract at one point and made a fortune. Carter has played uninterrupted NBA basketball. He's never taken a year off because no one would sign him.

Allen Iverson blew a fortune. It's certainly possible to do so. I'm merely saying a 39 year old barely hanging on is somewhat indicative of financial issues. I never said he "has to be broke". In fact, if he was reallllly broke he would probably be playing in China. I've played basketball with Joe Johnson; he's a great guy. I'm not insinuating he's financially irresponsible or a buffoon.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

that’s exactly what you’ve been insinuating

your very 1st post in this thread says this...

“what's with these millionaire athletes not being able to manage their money?”

and u say that based on nothing except some weird notion that if an old washed player is still trying to play in the league, it must be because he’s struggling financially

hakeem94, Pringles and YOLO like this.
  9. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Joe has said he isn’t broke and just loves the game. If he rather play than golf or commentate then why not play.

He just recently played in the basketball tournament - with his portion being donated.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  10. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

You’re right. It did come off that way. Mostly in jest; I’m sure Joe is doing fine

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. DonatelloLimestone

Athlete money issues are real, not to mention since they publicly have millions and essentially they become a commodity to be used be it women, even fans for fame, and for investments. Even happened to 4 year college graduate Timmy Duncan. Some of the fraudsters are just good and it happens to all people daily, no less that these guys are especially targeted bc they famously have millions.

But luckily silver is forward thinking, apart of the new gleague program for hs player, apart of the rookie orientation,let alone the players association setting up financial awareness talks they are adding infrastructure beyond any other league, certainly beyond ‘ncaa college’ which really depends on the coach, coach K would do it...they have tons and tons of money, many others don’t.

Then theres the case of being able to play as long as you can because you love it. MJ came back in his 40s, donated his salary, in the end of the day there is nothing like playing the game at a high level with some meaning to it. There are those that see it as a profession, there are many who love this too and there is no better energy than the NBA or a filled arena of serious players playing. John Stockton still has his Sunday game with a special invite of worthy players and they play at a ‘nba finals’ level intensity. Gotta love it, but also screw John Stockton.

Jayzers_100 likes this.