1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Going After Illegal Voter

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobrek, Apr 15, 2021.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

This is one of those cases that our public servants should exercise common sense. Laws can be incredibly frustrating when individuals end up in the system due to some ****ing stupid technicality. I would of taken the probation offered if I were her, even though I understand why she didn't, but man now she may end up in prison because of something stupid in the law.

FranchiseBlade and DVauthrin like this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This is absurd. Anyone know of an instance of a similar nature where the “offender” was White? Asking for a friend.

FranchiseBlade and DVauthrin like this.
  4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Simply not counting her ballot was good enough. As @Deckard said, sentencing her to five years in prison is an absurd, excessive punishment.

mdrowe00, Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. bobrek

White people almost never go to jail and if they do they know all the laws and rules once they are out of jail.

She should have never broken the law to begin with and she deserves everything that happens to her because she did.

Nook, mdrowe00 and ElPigto like this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is why you shouldn't vote.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whoops wrong thread..

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nvm

#8 Os Trigonum, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don’t know if you were being sarcastic or serious about what she deserves, but I agree with @DVauthrin. A slap on the wrist for something like this would have been more than sufficient. There was no harm done. As for your comment about “White people almost never going to jail,” I agree. That was my point. Had this woman been White she wouldn’t be facing an absurd prison sentence for a minor offense.

On the face of it, at least to me, this was designed to garner publicity that might help contribute to a general climate of fear and confusion among Black voters and voters of color. Fear that might help reduce voter turnout, the very obvious goal of the literally hundreds of bills filed in over 40 states by Republican members of state legislatures, bills designed to hamper and reduce voting by Americans of color.

DVauthrin likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

When i tell idiots who believe in mass voter fraud about the concept of "opputuinity cost" this is exactly what I'm referring to.

The opputuinity cost to have your singular voice represented amongst millions is not worth it for 99.999% of the population.

The penalities are excessive for the crime.

11. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...I like to think @bobrek was being sarcastic earlier, @Deckard...

...(seems like a pleasant enough fellow, for a conservative, I mean;))...

Deckard and bobrek like this.
  12. bobrek

You should know my posting history enough by now to know that was totally tongue in cheek. :)

13. Nook

Nook Member

This.

This is a warning from the great state of Texas political ruling class.... is it really worth voting if you are black? Just leave the voting to the ruling white class and the blacks can worry about other things.... remember, not everyone's votes are equal and not everyone really should vote.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I blame it lack of sleep!
    ;-)

FranchiseBlade likes this.