1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I just skimmed the article, but is there any reason to think that this "time-check" server is tied (directly) to PSN servers and particularly the older PSN stores? Meaning if Sony completely shuts those older servers down, this stuff goes with it?

They can, should, and probably do share a common "time-check" server with multiple platforms. Don't know if the PS5 functions this way as well, but it is possible that the same server can validate PS3s, PS4s, and PS5s (and PS6s, PS7s, PS8s, etc.). Might not even be a Sony server but something they redirect to a standard time-check server shared by multiple entities.

I have no idea how common this is in other devices, so not sure how much to be bothered by it. On one hand, I'd like to wait and see if it is actually a legit problem, although I understand that would then be too late to do anything about it.

Though like you said, I think they could simplify this by just removing the time check via a firmware update. Even if the servers are always online, it kinda sucks to require online access (albeit limited) for your console like this.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Doesn't go into that level of detail, but I think it's conceivable the PS3 might have one source-of-truth connection it makes both for game patches/updates/content as well as the clock. So if they do eventually ditch the ability even to download purchased titles and also don't bother issuing a firmware update, PS3's could just be hosed.

3. RC Cola

Sony has made some terrible IT design decisions in the past, so I guess it is possible. But I don't think it is all that likely, especially if they re-use this for other platforms. And now that I think about it, you'd probably want your time server to live outside of your store/content server anyway.

We honestly have no clue how Sony implemented any of this back-end stuff, and I would hesitate to make too many assumptions about what *might* happen without any more details...though to be fair, these are details we're unlikely to ever get.

4. RC Cola

@Drexlerfan22
    Either Jim Ryan's Playstation Blog account was hacked, or he actually changed his mind (well...at least for PS3/Vita):
    https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...-on-ps3-and-ps-vita-will-continue-operations/
    He'll probably just shut it back down again in 2023 and hope people forget to complain.

Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  5. Aware

Aware Member

both my ps3 and vita tv are running custom firmware so i'm good
    piracy for the ps3 and vita is pretty good

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  6. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

What are the benefits to that? I have an old ps3 slim sitting in storage

7. Aware

Aware Member

pirated games that you can download directly and some emulation.
    same with the vita.

mostly used it for some ps2 nostalgia.

8. RC Cola

The fact that piracy might be the only way to play some of these games does show how broken things are. I like the idea of abandonware since in practice, it would allow us to still play these old games, and these companies wouldn't have to worry about supporting them officially. A process to add these games to a digital museum of sorts would be great. Of course, there's greed and all that, so even though Sony will have long stopped selling Uncharted 2 for PS3 in 2035, you better not try to play it without buying it from them!

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I see what you mean about wondering if it was hacked. I rarely see them say "It's clear we made the wrong decision".

Now that it's been up for a day though, I'm going to assume it's accurate.

Though, given the content of the rest of the blog, it's slightly odd they are still dropping PSP... but I suppose I'll put that down to PC emulation for PSP games working *real well*, hence there's no longer any money to be made...?

Anyway, still good news. As you say I suspect it's just a matter of time before they do it for real.

RC Cola likes this.
  10. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Xbox Game Pass is crushing it right now.

Bono, VanityHalfBlack and ThatBoyNick like this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Why does this look like PS3 graphics?

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Fary Cry and Assasins creed are the 2 series that always get me hyped but leave me feeling very disappointed after playing.

I wouldn't even mind the graphics being ps3 if the story / gameplay was any good. The games just always feel empty and pointless.

I agree with @Clutch City1993 game pass is killing it. next-gen versions of FIFA 21, MLB 21, Madden 21 all being up is crazy

I've been playing the Metro and Wolfenstein games off of game pass recently and those have just been awesome.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

14. KingCheetah

Far Cry 3 might have been a the peak -- I've played about half of 4 and it's good, but the story isn't as engrossing -- haven't played 5 yet.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I did make it through #3

I really liked #2 and each following game got worse from there, similar to AC

16. KingCheetah

I couldn't really get into 2 just seemed to dated, but I'll play it again someday.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Halo multiplayer looks sick.

#1657 donkeypunch, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  18. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I'm assuming none of that was gameplay footage.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Maybe yes, maybe no?

Blatz likes this.
  20. RC Cola

The end had some gameplay from multiplayer. I've been super busy, so I might have missed other/better sources, but I also saw this video of multiplayer on Youtube:

The other stuff looked like mostly cinematic in-engine video from the single player.

CHAOS

Blatz likes this.