1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Teacher goes on racist rant, not realizing Zoom was on.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, Apr 9, 2021.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And this is my last post on this for now but you are right on that point, the parent has to be diligent, but circumstances are not equal (and I'm not saying all should be, just recognizing that fact). I was raised by both parents and have an older sibling so my parents had experience dealing with this kind of stuff when it came time for me. This teacher could have easily kept her doubts about me secret and played out her low expectations of me...you are right though that it had no effect since this was an english class and quite frankly, I was ahead of the class because I was already reading better than most students I just wasn't displaying it for that particular class/teacher. So all it did was just make my mom trust future teachers less.

I mentioned earlier in this thread, I had another teacher later who, when I asked her for help on algebra, geometry, or whatever it was...I asked her AFTER class (again, I was shy, I didn't want to seem 'stupid' in front of others.) she told me to pay attention in class next time. That was my cue to never listen again and sleep through her class...which she didn't care, she simply accepted it because she had low expectations of me clearly. I should have told my mom this and I'm sure she would have done something, but I was older, more savvy at keeping things from my parents, I didn't want to get in trouble...and I struggled with math EXACTLY from that point on. I simply gave up on math and considered myself just bad at the subject, hopeless...but this is the subtle low expectations that can destroy a kid's confidence.

The only thing that helped me was when a later teacher saw how much I was struggling and spent the time to help me. Had I not got that other teacher that cared, it would have affected my scores in high school. 100%

Racism affects minority groups differently, it's not comparable. Hispanics, while facing racism, especially nowadays...it's not the same as anti-black racism which focuses on 'this group is dumber and violent and good for manual labor' and some hispanics are simply very white passing and thus would not face the same racism as darker hispanics would..and still, it would not be the same racism that blacks face. Anti-Asian racism is also different, such as Islamophobia or antisemitism. This isn't me saying one is worse or...I don't care to make those comparisons, but they are certainly different.

Black parents are untrusting because of experiences that I've explained and even you just have. While yes, black parents can be more diligent and make sure their children aren't being incorrectly diagnosed as dyslexic or whatever the case, we can also hope to expect better and that the system can do a better job of not being too eager to tag children as mentally ineffective. I think honestly this is another larger conversation irrelevant of race, misdiagnosing children with ADHD, dyslexia, ODD, whatever the case may be, but that's another topic really.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@JayGoogle

I actually started a thread on my son's situation 11 years ago as I had my suspicion

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/...ction-of-the-no-child-left-behind-act.179889/

Edit: so I was banned in 2013 from Clutchfans for complaining about a political ad. Clutch actually banned by only allowing me to see ads on on the site. So the normal layout would show with just the ads section.

Anyway I returned in 2017. @FranchiseBlade was one of the guys who started saying my account was hacked. He said I posted differently in the way I post short paragraphs. I agreed on that point but that is laid out in the way I post today

On racial subjects I actually have not changed much. Guys like Trader_Jorge and Bigtexxx would post so negatively about blacks that I didn't want to agree on some overall points on dysfunction in poor black communities

#442 pgabriel, Apr 15, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There is waaay more racism towards Hispanics nowadays because of immigration. A major underlying issue in white racism is jobs. They aren't worried about us taking jobs because young black men are not a threat to take jobs because too many from the inner city have no skills and AND have to be taught basic responsibility if employees in their first jobs.

Hispanics don't worry about racism they have bigger goals and value American opportunity. I always mention they have passed us because it should be an alarm of our current condition

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The public school system is ****ed. Straight off. It's literally based on the community you live in. Resources aren't evenly distributed because "meh communism". As a kid growing up in a poor neighborhood the only shot I got to get a better education was a Magnet School which I luckily got into.

Adults are the products of their education PERIOD. I've met so many adults who I can immediately tell were given up on by the school system. It's absolutely sad. I think it's a team effort of **** parents and **** teachers with **** counselors that breed poor students with undiagnosed learning disabilities.

I want to say something to @pgabriel about the minority thing. Hispanics aren't a monolith. I would say Immigrants have the traits that you describe. Immigrants have always pushed their children to work harder than their counterparts because well...that's what they have to do in their jobs to become respected. There is some truth to the Model Minority stereotype but that comes with consequences. Look at the Anti-Asian violence.

#444 REEKO_HTOWN, Apr 15, 2021
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Agreed that Hispanic work ethic is more about immigrant culture

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Black men aren't a threat to take those jobs because they aren't cheap labor though. Someone crossing the border is desperate to take anything while a poor black man knows the job won't be enough to do anything for him so why take it? Hispanic racism is very different though, again, some are simply white or white passing and reap the benefits of that and some come from countries that ALSO discriminate against black people.

It's not that black people worry about racism, it's that racism worries about them. There have been multiple attempts throughout the years that were designed to target black people. From not giving black soldiers their due, to war on drugs, to other things like black people finding it harder to get loans, etc etc that keep black people behind. Addressing these issues are vital, important, and necessary. The reaction to addressing real structural issues should not be "But just ignore racism!"

At the end of the day, promoting racial stereotypes doesn't help black people. Period. All it does is give, for example, this teacher an excuse that she was right. It gives the next one an excuse that they are right. And the one after that and after that. After all, the kid is hopeless, has bad parents, right? Why help him/her? I'll never be made to believe that denigrating a group and stereotyping, as your posts do, actually helps them in any fashion.

My proof? People have been saying what you've said about black people for CENTURIES now. It's NEVER helped, in fact we know it hurts. It hurts a demographic when powerful people spread these lies about them and dehumanizes them.

If the president came out and said what you said about black people, or Trader or Bigtexxx, all it would do is give people an excuse to be racist towards black people. That's really all it does.

DVauthrin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

As usual wrong

https://www.statista.com/statistics...in-the-united-states-by-race-or-ethnic-group/

Hispanics are way ahead in household income. When I work at construction sites there are no blacks doing well paying trade jobs.

Hispanics come here with skills. White people know this and view them as the threat to their livelihood

It's sad the way you run your mouth about things you don't know.

People hire Hispanics not Blacks because blacks don't have skills

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Wrong about what? You're seriously arguing that immigrants aren't cheap labor? I really hope you're not making that argument. That's a fact. What economists argue is how it affects our country lol.

White people being scared of immigrants is proof of racism and nationalism and nothing more.

That's pretty much all you do though???

Immigrants are hired because of cheap labor. In fact, a lot of conservatives have tried to play on this to try and get black support and under Trump it has quite frankly worked, at least in part to give him a growing black vote. I'm surprised it took them so long although it looks like they have gone right back to their original plan of only courting white voters.

Plenty of studies on this too

https://www.usccr.gov/pubs/docs/IllegImmig_10-14-10_430pm.pdf
    https://www.nber.org/digest/may07/effects-immigration-african-american-employment-and-incarceration

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Reminds me of a time I reconnected with a childhood friend who had been working a lot of restaurant waiter jobs the last few years. He was pretty jaded by then. And he had all the customers stereotyped based on how much tip he could expect. He loved the guys who came in cowboy hats, I remember. Hated serving groups of women who wouldn't drink, always want to split the bill, and were misers on tips. Said black guys were also bad tippers. On the one hand, I get it because his livelihood depended on those tips. But it was ugly.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Blacks have less household income and higher unemployment.
    https://www.epi.org/publication/valerie-figures-state-unemployment-by-race/

Hipanics have a higher graduation rate.

One of the irritating things about debating with you is you jump from subject to subject. It doesn't matter that they take the low paying jobs, they take all the jobs including the good jobs. I have proven this with household income stats.

Trump wasn't railing on blacks he was railing on Hispanics

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

@pgabriel is on one.

I am glad he got somebody to engage with him about this topic AGAIN.

Hopefully he will be satisfied and not derail another thread for about a month.

But WTF is with the Educated Negro BS, you deserve a smack for that, how self loathing can you be.

FranchiseBlade and JayGoogle like this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

LOL what? Bro, you were JUST talking about how immigrants get hired for jobs over black people and NOW you are on graduation rates. You are the one that hop from subject to subject and try to turn every thread into a 'Black people suck' thread.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol, I know I'm far too stubborn. A fault of mines but even I get weary...soon I'll get bored of this and he'll be free to roam again I guess...

and that Educated Negro 'insult' is pretty revealing.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It was him baiting you, anything to get some attention.

JayGoogle likes this.
  15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

When I discuss issues affecting black men in particular in terms of problems I always get some flack from a black guy telling me he is educated and doesn't have those problems and I'm like well I'm not talking about you. I run into that here.

It's a big deal because black people get offended when talking about inner city dysfunction and would rather blame our condition in the poor communities on racism in an attempt to make us look good. It doesn't help ignoring internal problems and it's getting us nowhere.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I say Hispanics are ahead of us. You come back with the ignorant they do very low skilled jobs.

I present I come info
    Employment info
    Now graduation rates

Do you still doubt they have passed us?

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I discuss these topics seriously. Y'all discuss me

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's not how that went and you know it. My 'ignorant' take care with data that you ignored.

Did I not present info?

Your graduation rates isn't even universal. In some states it is equal, in some states blacks are higher. You just run your mouth without knowing anything :p

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro those are all natural figures. I have statistical proof they are ahead of us

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Your argument, in the end, makes no sense.

If you're saying that some national black culture puts blacks behind Hispanics then it should follow that in EVERY state blacks should be behind Hispanics. After all, this shared culture that you rage and rant against is a national thing that affects blacks in America... It's not true though, in some states blacks are tied or ahead of hispanics. What's the explanation for that then?

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_coi.asp
    Why are blacks graduating more in Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Georgia, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tenessee, Virginia, and Wyoming...this is not counting where states are tied.

According to you, black culture has blacks behind, but why doesn't it have them behind in those states?

EDIT: Before you do your "My stats bro, national stats, not state..." why though? Why would you ignore state stats over national ones when state ones are more specific?

#460 JayGoogle, Apr 15, 2021