1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Steph carry his own team thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jiggyfly, Dec 22, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No this thread was because Curry should never have been in the best player in the World discussion, especially when he could not get a finals MVP.

don grahamleone and Nook like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Not really. I don't see threads on Durant or Paul or any number of other possible targets. Your posting history speaks for itself. You are certainly entitled to your opinions though.

TWS1986 and jiggyfly like this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Many Harden fans have a particular bitterness when it comes to Curry due to MVP races, playoff history between GSW and HOU, and his immense popularity. It would be interesting to see a poll by fans of various teams of how well-liked Curry is. I'd bet he is least well-liked here.

don grahamleone and JumpMan like this.
  5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so you're absolutely sure Curry on the Rockets could get to the playoffs and beat Harden on GSW in the WCFs?

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

don grahamleone and KingCheetah like this.
  7. KingCheetah

Curry MVP talk starting to heat up.

8. DonatelloLimestone

Ha he obviously isn’t close to MVP and said himself they are underperforming their expectations, but that said he is putting on a show and at 33 continues to push it to keep getting better and finding new ways to create. It’s a bit odd, I spent years throwing things at the screen with all the curry talk, now that they aren’t who we need to play again I am appreciating his game much more. Likewise, back in the 90s I couldn’t stand or be objective about MJ bc I wanted a chance to beat em, only after his career did I appreciate

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Anything that was at absolute zero (0.0 Kelvins/-273.15 Celsius) can heat up even with this mention of yours here, but him being MVP is still pretty ****ing cold. Know what I'm sayin'?

BamBam and hakeem94 like this.
  10. HardenVolumeOne

warriors record aint good enough

11. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

I believe it. Curry has been clutch and had signature games in the playoffs when the stakes are highest. The more important the game, the more Harden shrivels and shrinks. Just wait to see how he chokes in the playoffs with the Nets. Harden is mentally weak. Curry is mentally tough as nails. Harden has a more durable body but Curry has a more durable mind and competitive fire.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's why he has never had a finals MVP or that his numbers dip every year in the playoffs?

13. KingCheetah

Doesn't need to be good -- Steph is on another level.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

He got robbed of a FMVP, but also, you're putting too much weight in an award based on a single series that's decided by 11 people who aren't necessarily voting in good faith. The MVP has 101 voters. DPOY has 100 voters. 6MOTY has 100 voters. MIP has 100 voters. ROTY has 100 voters.

The fact that his numbers dip in the playoffs isn't important. What's important is the magnitude of the dip and the final numbers. For example, his career regular season 3pt% is 43.4%, and his career playoff 3pt% is 40.1%. Sure, that's a dip, but shooting 40.1% from the 3pt line is still elite, especially for the playoffs.

Compare that with Harden who, for his career, shoots 36.3% from the 3pt line in the regular season and 33% from the 3pt line in the playoffs.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX and hakeem94 like this.
  15. Juxtaposed Jolt

SuperMarioBro likes this.
  16. HardenVolumeOne

and yet his name is not appearing on this list. Curry can’t skip the line because of a few good games. Harden in 2019 was better with a better team record and still didn’t win mvp

https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/mvp.html

17. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Curry needed
    2015: the luckiest streak of opponent injuries I've probably ever seen in the playoffs. Never once did he face the opposing team's healthy starting point guard, let alone Love AND Kyrie both being out.
    2016: lol
    2017: Durant joins and replaces the weakest link on a 73-win team... This team was way more stacked than these
    2018: Chris Paul injury and Scott Foster AND they still had that historically stacked team

And throughout that entire run, they were a major media (and therefore officiating) darling.

It's also funny you bring up Harden "front running", given that the '17 through '19 Warriors were at LEAST as stacked as the Nets are now, and they were actually healthy most of the time.

Call it "excuses" or whatever you want, but when you look past pure ring counts and actually consider what a player is doing to carry a team, and think of all he various factors that go into winning a title (hint: it's about more than how good the best player on your team is, or LeBron would have won each of the last 13 NBA titles), Curry truly has no impressive titles runs under his belt. If we're going by just title runs, even Dirk is better than Curry. 2011 was way more impressive than anything we've seen since other than LeBron's 2016 run. Curry's empty three rings are just easy for casuals to point at when cornered in a debate "BUT TEH RINGZ THO".

As for Harden "choking": nah tho. He had one true lemon game -- game 6 in 2017. I cannot even begin to try to explain what happened that night because I just don't know. But everything else is blown way out of proportion, and it's what everyone says about every superstar before they win it. There was a time when Dirk, LeBron, Durant, etc were all "chokers".

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. HardenVolumeOne

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

There were multiple series where his 3pt shooting tanked to around 30%. For a high volume 3pt shooter like Harden, why wouldn't that be considered "choking"?

20. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

It took me years to admit the Duncan-era Spurs were great. Like until the fourth championship. It’s taken me years to admit Steph Curry is great and I’m almost there.