1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I watched "Runaway" with Tom Selleck, Cynthia Rhodes, Gene Simmons, and Kirstie Alley...about a police squad that was formed to combat runaway robots which misbehave due to unsavory humans customizing their programming to do other than the original manufacturer source code directed, etc. .

I still think this movie holds up well from 1984 when it was made. And, I don't feel were really all that much closer to having household robots to do chores...unless you count iRobot and the like. I'm talking something more advanced than vacuuming and mopping. And, f*ck you...pool robot cleaner. You can suck it.

The overall plot in the film is a very interesting premise. What happens if the templates for making microchips fall into the hands of a criminal madman who can program the chips to do their bidding in robots for nefarious purposes? And, what happens if they alter bullet missiles to hone in on and kill targets which can be pre-programmed based on a unique infrared human heat signature or other type of signature? And, robot spiders that shoot acid from needles in their targets and murder them is a totally creative, great idea.

Gene Simmons made for the best kind of maniacal villain. His face just screamed "MURDER U!" in every scene he was in. And, he left behind quite the body count.

The final scenes with Gene and the Robot Spiders. That was a hoot! And, to throw in setting up that Tom's character had a fear of heights and Gene's character somehow sets up the construction elevator to take Tom to the top of the building. And, Tom battling acid-shooting spiders while he hangs from the underside of the elevator 50+ stories up. The only complaint I have here is Tom Cruise would have done that sh*t for real. Grow a pair, Tom Selleck! ;)

And, the ending of the film when Tom and Cynthia celebrate the villain's death by having a huge make-out session while the credits roll. You tell me they didn't move that to a private room when the cameras ceased rolling.

This film still holds up after all these years. Tom kicked ass. Cynthia was hot in it. Even Kirstie was hot in it! Gene was dynamite! 8 out of 10

#9121 Surfguy, Apr 12, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  2. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I loved Into the Wild before I learned of Emile Hirsch's assault on a female. (Sorry to break that to you if you hadn't heard.) Personally I would rank it 9 or higher, but I can see being disappointed with the ending.

deb4rockets likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Gonna have to check that out.

deb4rockets likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I remember that movie and enjoyed it, I think it is underrated.

Deuce likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

"Into the Wild": The story is gripping (the kid is an idiot), the book is very interesting. The music and scenery for the film are top notch. The movie is bad basically due to the pretentious kid actor.

ryan_98 and deb4rockets like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

jiggyfly and deb4rockets like this.
  7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Idiot indeed. I'm actually surprised he even lived as long as he did. Hal Holbrook was awesome in his role. He played his character as good as it gets. Yes, the music and scenery were both really good.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Love Hal Holbrook (watch The Star Chamber again sometime, and That Evening Sun).

Good book way back in the day was The Firm. They they made a pretty good movie out of it, but the best was the evil old men:

Hal Holbrook: evil
    Gene Hackman: evil
    Wilford f'ing Brimley: most evil guy in the movie

deb4rockets likes this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i read the book a long time ago. Krak is one my favorite authors. I learned something new from this video though. His sister is smoking hot

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

"His story continues to be an inspiration."

**** all that.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

my 12 year old is finishing that book up now, and he’s already asking for his next Grisham. He’s already plowed through a bunch of Clancy’s, Lonesome Dove and other books from my youth. I should probably ask someone younger for some recommendations.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watched All the Way last night with Bryan Cranston as LBJ. on HBO Max. Cranston is amazing! and Bradley Whitford excellent as Hubert Humphrey. there seemed to be a bit less effort to exactly mimic MLK with Anthony Mackie's performance, not sure exactly why, although Mackie was certainly solid as well. really well done. 9/10

Phillyrocket likes this.
  14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

i thought I was one of the few people that remembers that movie...those robot spiders terrified me as a kid.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The VHS did have one of better 80's sci-fi movie boxes.....

[​IMG]

Deuce, DonkeyMagic and jiggyfly like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This.

I don't remember the spiders being that big, I did not know it was from Michael Crichton.

GRENDEL likes this.
  16. BA1990

BA1990 Member

Re-watched The Matrix, pretty solid. 8/10 at least.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

I won't take that too personally.

If he's just reading for fun:

Michael Connolly (Lincoln Lawyer, etc...)?
    Robert Ludlum?
    Clive Cussler?
    Adventure stuff, fiction and non (Hampton Sides, Erik Larson, Jack London, etc.) is always a good thing to let him try.
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

He may be too old for them, but I read one of my cousin's Rick Riordan "Percy Jackson" books one afternoon and it was solid for a kid.

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is pretty entertaining. now I have to watch the movie to see what it's all about

Xerobull likes this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

NewRoxFan likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Also watched it last night and enjoyed it. While there were a few places where they could have been a bit more clear on what was happening (the cars at the place where she was killed, who was there) I thought it was well done. They didn't gloss over areas that seemed to cause the law enforcement officers hiccups. Surprised that the guy that was getting "catfished" didn't seem to recognize when the MySpace account changed hands.

Haymitch likes this.