1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 16, 2020.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. Fantasma Negro

primtim24 likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

There's still time in Hopkins' career to make this another Houston superlative trade but on the opposite end of the spectrum.

One of the best trades in MLB history: Houston receives Jeff Bagwell for Larry Anderson
    One of the best trades in NBA history: Houston receives James Harden plus scrubs for Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb, 2 1st Rounders, and a 2nd Rounder
    One of the best trades in NFL history: Houston trades DeAndre Hopkins and a 4th round pick for David Johnson, a 2nd Round Pick and a 4th Round pick

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Ell. Oh. Ell.

mikol13 and Fulgore like this.
  6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Tunsil trade must have finished in second place for the Dolphins.

mikol13 likes this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Every time I see this thread bumped, my heart skips a beat.

"Texans trade De..."

8. Mattician

Mattician Member

The award for "Dumbest front office" or "Worst front office" should've been a lock for the Texans for a few years now.

clos4life, Phillyrocket and ROCKSS like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Daryl (& his nerd conference) laughing at the Texans

[​IMG]

clos4life and likestohypeguy like this.
  10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

This part is especially galling. I mean, can you imagine the stainless steel cannonballs it would take to even ask for this, let alone actually ****ing get it?!

“...and a 4th round pick.”

That’s like rubbing acid in the wound. That’s why this organization is the laughingstock of all organized sports right now. You take maybe the worst trade in recent history, and then sweeten it even more. Unimaginable.

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yet, they still missed the playoffs...with Hopkins.

eliefor3 likes this.
  12. conquistador#11

It's only been a year? It feels like a lifetime ago
    (insert Private Ryan aging gif)

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Deshaun got 569 massages over the same period.

14. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Dhop was awesome here but at the end of the day he is a wr and having the best at that position is not a prerequisite to winning. He honestly could have helped us win in the long run of we had traded him for his market value.

primtim24 likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Which has exactly f***-all-nothing to do with the quality of that trade from the Texans' perspective.

King1, Phillyrocket, Jwise44 and 2 others like this.
  16. steddinotayto

Exactly. It amazes me at times the depths people will go to in an attempt to defend a clusterf*ck of a trade this was. Looking up his stats, DeAndre Hopkins was 2nd in the league in receptions, 3rd in receiving yards, 5th in receiving yards per game and 10th in yards from scrimmage in his first season with Arizona. AND the dude played all 16 games. Like, I guess Hopkins should also line up on the d-line to stop opponents from running all over the Cardinals too? Or Hopkins should try to play all 3 receiving positions at the same time? Some people want to make this "oH bUt pLaYoFfs?" argument but last I checked this was the NFL where rarely does the success of the team is dependent on the play of one player, let alone your best receiver.

But I'll keep finding these same scarface arguments funny because, at the end of the day, we got back absolutely nothing of value for an All-Pro wideout other than an expensive washed up running back and a 2nd round pick.

#2376 steddinotayto, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Jwise44 and YOLO like this.
  17. steddinotayto

This is the type of argument I can respect. If the Texans would have gotten more for an All-Pro wide receiver sure I can live with that. But at the end of the day the trade was inarguably craptacular. There was no need to trade Hopkins even if he did want more money (like, if you refuse or can't pay a 3x All-Pro receiver to pair with your franchise QB then you're in the wrong ******* business) but if you want to make that move it better be for something worthwhile.

Minnesota got a 1st, 5th, 6th and future 4th for Diggs
    Oakland got ta 1st for Cooper
    Giants got a 1st and a 3rd for Beckham

Any fan can make an argument on who is better among OBJ, Hopkins or Diggs but at the end of the day all three are pretty much on the same level...but all you can get for Hopkins is a David Johnson and a 2nd?

Phillyrocket and Jwise44 like this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No one is defending the trade. However, to say it was a the best trade in HISTORY for the Cardinals is dumb. Was it bad for the Texans? Yes. However, the Cardinals still didn't make the playoffs and that's how this trade should be judge for the Cards.

19. steddinotayto

You're either reading someone else's post and incorrectly responding to mine or you didn't even bother read my post and decided to immediately start an argument. No where in my original post did I say it was "the best trade in HISTORY for the Cardinals". What did I state? "One of the best trades in NFL History" . Why did I state that? Because:

1. One team received an All-Pro receiver still in his prime and is still on the trajectory of being Hall of Fame bound because his production has not wavered.
    2. The other team received, essentially, a bag of crap that no one wanted. In fact, said team couldn't even get a 1st rounder as a comparable return for their former All-Pro receiver.

Bill O'Brien and the Texans got fleeced. Period. But if you want to spin it another way to make this sorryass franchise look better, sure, we can do that too. The Cardinals took advantage of O'Brien and forced the Texans to trade Hopkins for David Johnson because Houston needed a running back. Is that better? It's not dumb to call it one of the greatest trades in NFL history because the Cardinals basically got a potential Hall of Famer for a bum running back and a 2nd rounder.

I'm still perplexed at your logic of "playoffs=success; no playoffs=failure" as the best way to judge this trade because you're excluding many other factors (d-line, o-line, injuries, etc.) that could have impacted the team's results on the field but if we want to play this game I'll go along with you. Without Hopkins, Arizona finished 5-10-1 in 2019. With Hopkins, Arizona finished 8-8. Again, this is going by your need to use the team's success/failure (i.e. playoffs or bust) as a test for one player acquisition and his subsequent production/performance. Pivoting from Arizona to Houston, the Texans were 10-6 with Hopkins and went 4-12 without him. Again, I'm using your own logic. So by that measure, Hopkins was worth 3 more wins for Arizona moving their trajectory upward while the Texans were 6 games worse without him. Maybe Hopkins failed to deliver a playoff berth for Arizona by himself but I guess, using the same measure, his absence was damn sure evident based on the Texans' record.

And then if the Cardinals make the playoffs next year while the Texans are still in the basement of AFC West, what is the narrative then? I loved Hopkins on the Texans because he was/is an elite receiver but I also wasn't delusional enough to want to hold onto him at all costs if by trading him the team could rebuild a better team. That clearly didn't happen with the crap O'Brien and the Texans got back in return.

20. raining threes

I still dont like the trade and would have held onto him until I could've gotten proper value. I didn't have a problem with the trade, just the value received.

Now, I will just be glad when all of the Clemson trash has been taken out.