1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Officer involved shooting in Brooklyn Center

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Gabe0941, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I know what you're saying, but actually Duane Wright no longer exists and has nothing (not blame, not consciousness, nor anything else).

He did nearly the worst thing he could do at the worst time, and that should have tacked on a charge or two to his booking. He should be alive to suffer those consequences.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hey that gif is you.

ElPigto, B-Bob and Reeko like this.
  4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

These police unions man. They want to be held to a different standard than everybody while holding the ability to accidentally kill people without consequences

5. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

The more I watch the video I have to say what is the deal with the officer trying to handcuff him, that was a fail and it probably gave DW a split second to think and made the wrong decision which ended up costing him his life, was that possibly the trainee she was training and fumbled the hand cuffing?

calurker, jiggyfly and B-Bob like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This has been discussed a lot in martial arts and law enforcement circles. As far as I understand it right now such training is voluntary. I know some instructors have offered to teach LE for free but I think there are issues of time, questions of effectiveness and liability that might be keeping more LEO studying martial arts or PD's making it mandatory.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think street cops need to have their minimum physical requirements severely increased in terms of their ability to maintain control of large physically imposing people. A lot of these deaths are a result of a cop not having the physical ability to restraint someone and thus feel the need to use deadly force because they believe they have no other option.

I think I was a bit quick to be harsh on @Astrodome 's take on restricting women to street enforcement. I disagree but I also understand my suggestion would severely limit the amount of women as patrol cops.

Similar issues with infantry in the military. You have to set a minimum standard because you need to be above to carry hundred plus points of gear for lilies and still have the stamina and physical strength to fire and maneuver and also carry injuried team members to safety.

Astrodome likes this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was thinking of a line from Karate Kid / Cobra Kai, "There are no bad students, just bad Senseis."
    One problem is that LE have also been taking things like Warrior Training that teaches them that most of the public is the enemy and that they have to be ready to use deadly force in many cases. This was training that LEO Yanez took not too long before he shot Philando Castile and that Mohamed took to before he shot Justine Damond.

At that same time it seem like many LEO are not getting more training in de-escalation.
    Size and strength obviously make a difference in a physical confrontation but with good training people smaller can subdue larger people. THis is where I think martial arts training is particularly valuable.

Besides that de-escalation training will benefit officers of any size or gender.

mdrowe00 and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. B-Bob

I think you and @Astrodome (and I know he loves to be tagged, LOL) are underestimating the womens.

jiggyfly and Astrodome like this.
  10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Incidents like this need to stop happening and police departments across America need massive reform, immediately.

Also, the officer that killed Wright should at least be convicted of involuntary manslaughter (similar to a drunk driver that kills a another innocent person due to their reckless actions), and, if it can be proven she knew she was holding her gun the entire time, murder. Wright was no angel, but he didn’t deserve to die, either.

Also, the mentality held by many Americans that police officers should be above the laws they were hired to uphold and the citizens they were hired to serve and protect is wrong and a large part of the problem. They aren’t any more important than you or I, and considering their job is to fairly enforce laws, they should be expected to know better and held to a very high standard.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Very fine individual. MLB & NBA should postpone their games again. :D

“He DeSeRvEd HiS dAy iN cOuRt.”

Too bad he failed to appear. (hence the warrant)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9467375/Daunte-Wright-warrant-arrest-attempted-aggravated-robbery-charges.html

Daunte Wright choked a woman and threatened to shoot her if she did not hand over $820 she had stuffed in her bra, court papers obtained by DailyMail.com allege.

That is the case that led to a warrant for his arrest at the time he was shot and killed by police officer Kimberly Potter in Minnesota on Sunday, leading to days of unrest.

And online speculation that he did not know there was a warrant out for his arrest is false, DailyMail.com has learned. A letter returned to the court for having a wrong address was giving notice of a court date in August and had nothing to do with the warrant.

Wright was due to face trial on a charge of attempted aggravated robbery - with a possible maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.

Charging papers say he and a second man, Emajay Driver went to a home shared by two women in Osseo, Minnesota 'to party' in December 2019. At the time, Wright was 19 and Driver was 18.

The women asked them to leave around 2.30 am on December 1, but they said they didn't have a ride and the women - who are not identified in the court documents - allowed them to sleep on the floor.

In the morning, one of the women went to the bank to get her $820 rent money which she gave to the other woman and then left for work. As Wright, Driver and the second woman were leaving, Wright allegedly tried to hold up the woman.

'The three of them were walking to the door to exit the apartment and defendant Wright turned around and blocked the door preventing victim from leaving,' says the report, written by Osseo Police Officer Shane Mikkelson.

'Defendant Wright then pulled a black handgun with silver trim out from either his right waistband or his right coat pocket and pointed it at victim and demanded the rent money,' continued Mikkelson.

'Victim said "Are you serious?" Defendant Wright replied: "Give me the f**king money, I know you have it."

When the woman again asked him if he was serious, Wright is said to have replied: 'I'm not playing around.'

Mikkelson's report said: 'The $820 cash was tucked in the victim's bra and defendant Wright placed his hand around victim's neck and choked her while trying to pull the cash from under her bra.

'Victim was able to get loose from defendant Wright and started to kneel down and scream.'

After more yelling, Wright allegedly told the woman that he was going to shoot her unless he got the money.

'Give me the money and we will leave,' he allegedly said. 'Give me the money and we will go.'

Mikkelson added: 'Defendant Wright then tried to choke victim a second time and tried to take her money. Defendant Driver was telling her to give defendant Wright the money.

'Defendant Driver then said: "Let's go," and the two defendants left and got into a white Cadillac and left the scene,' wrote Mikkelson.

'Afterwards, victim found that the cash was still in her bra.'

Mikkelson said the woman identified both Wright and Driver through photo line-ups.

Wright's bail was originally set at $100,000 with orders that he should not contact the victim or any witnesses, refrain from drugs and alcohol and not have any weapons. A bond bailsman paid $40,000 for his release.

But his bail was revoked in July last year due to his 'failure to not possess a firearm or ammunition' and not keeping in touch with his probation officer, court papers show.

At that time a judge issued a warrant for his arrest, that was still outstanding on the day he died.

In recent days several people have claimed on the Internet that Wright may not even have known about the warrant because it was sent to the wrong address and returned to the court by the US Postal Service.

But that letter, sent out on February 2 and returned to the court three days later was just to advise Wright of a change of date for his court hearing.

The Real Shady likes this.
  12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wright had an outstanding warrant for a misdemeanor and had not been found guilty of anything. Why is the victim being put on trial.

Let's stop that BS.

DVauthrin, Andre0087 and B-Bob like this.
  13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That’s like mistaking DMX for that dude on the Tucker show
    @Os Trigonum

14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Too bad more of those MAGA insurrectionists at the Capitol could’ve just been shot and killed on the spot instead most will get the day in court....it’s called democracy. Maybe you can go and b**** in that thread since it seems like something you enjoy doing...a lot.

15. B-Bob

whether you’re happy that he apparently choked a woman, or that he died by officer error, or that you think either helps you in an Internet argument... it’s all a sad look, honestly.

if you think people deserve execution for missing court hearings, your mindset fits more w DPRK than any real democracy. Right?

jiggyfly, mdrowe00, Newlin and 5 others like this.
  16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Agreed. Even if Wright was found guilty of something in his past, it doesn’t justify the officer’s actions in this situation.

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

If people are speculating about Potter from her social history or acquaintance's anecdotes, then shouldn't it be fair game to do the same for Wright?

For the record, I don't think either are relevant in evaluating Potter's crime or Wright's dumb decision to escalate the incident.

18. B-Bob

I think both errands are dumb. We'll never figure out what exactly was in her mind when she pulled the gun on him, and at some level it doesn't matter. It also doesn't matter that the young man had skipped a court hearing and had prior bad behavior.

She shouldn't have shot him, and he shouldn't be dead right now. They were both dumbasses. One lost his life, and the other lost her career. Her dumbassery looks a lot larger right now.

#158 B-Bob, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    ROCKSS, DVauthrin, jiggyfly and 4 others like this.
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

One is the victim

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Agreed on all counts.