1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

things to do in downtown..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by killtaker, May 10, 2004.

1. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Shaken or stirred?

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No ****!

3. dc sports

dc sports Member

Don't forget about the light rail! Thanks to it, they can go all the way to, well, a parking lot on the south side of town. But a marvelous parking lot it is -- right next to Sam's and all.

Seriously though, the train, trolleys, and even busses give them some options.

Why are they coming to visit anyway? You're a pretty lousy host if they are coming to visit you, and you stick them in a hotel by themselves without a car. :) Have they considered staying in a hotel in a less expensive location and renting a car?

4. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

how ever you know it best.. i don't know how them n. yorkers like it.

dcsports,

i'm driving to dallas for a wedding this weekend. i'm not that close to these guys (2nd cousins, i think? i never understood how the distant cousin thing worked). and they're big ballers ($$) so they really won't mind splurging eleven times a day. they also prefer walking.. new yorkers, remember?

as for their expectations.. well, they're expecting crap, but i actually think they'll be thoroughly impressed after all the renovating downtown houston has undergone.

thanks again everyone. have a blessed week.

5. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

If you're going to go to the Menil or to the MFA or to the CAM, you might as well check out the Rothko Chapel... I don't like his work but maybe it's worth the visit anyway.

6. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Yeah we got free crawfish on sundays on the Patio starting at 3 pm till we run out. We get about 300 pounds so it last a pretty good while.

We are also starting to do it on Fridays from 6-9 pm on the patio as well but we charge by the plate on fridays if anyone wants to come down =)

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that's awesome! i'm there as often as i can be. great place.

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

No festivals this weekend but...

Friday and Saturday at 8pm, Cinderella is playing at Miller Outdoor Theatere...so they can get there by rail. Kinda gay performance but it is free. If it is a nice night, it's great to stop at Specs to get some wine and snacks and lay out under the stars. Last time I went I just fell asleep. It was pretty nice. If humidity is 900%, pass on that.

And if you want to pay to see theater, there are probably a dozen performances every weekend in the theater district.

Main Event Saturday night at 8pm includes live performances.

Red Cat Jazz Cafe also has live music every night if you like to sit back and relax. Sambuka also has live performances.

If you like to dance, the Mercury Room is always worth the money.

The Continental Club in mid-town is also a cool place for live music that isn't so main stream as Red Cat or Mercury Room. But remember, Metrorail's last train is somewhere around mid-night...so don't get stranded.

Hell, if you like Track and Field, the Western Athletic Conference track meet is at Rice U. this year. Running events are from 6pm-9:30pm Friday and Saturday. The track is one block off the rail.

As others said, Saturday during the day, I'd go to the mueseum district. There are dozens of places to go to...more than you can see in a day.

Astroworld. Everybody makes fun of the parking lot at the end of the line...but folks seem to forget the amusement park is there.

Here's the Chron link of things to do downtown this weekend.

#28 krosfyah, May 11, 2004
    Last edited: May 11, 2004
  9. MadMax

been to Sambuca, and it's great.

haven't been to Red Cat, yet. how is it??

10. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Awesome, I need to check live out since I just got back into Houston this week. I'm 21, but most of my friends are not. 21 and up I'm guessing?

11. MadMax

..i've had lunch with my wife and 4 year old son watching the NFL playoffs before!!

12. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

madmax.. awesome, for some reason I was thinking it was called live sports bar and wasn't sure. It is cafe though it appears so that works out well.

I will have to check it out

stack.. anything planned for the nba draft? at least be on the tvs or something I'd guess

13. krosfyah

Red Cat is cool. Sambuca seems to be a little more about a social event with people sitting around having drinks, talking and what not. Red Cat is setup predominately for watching the band. You can't do much talking w/ your friends during sets...its about the music. If you don't want to to listen to music, there isn't really anywhere to step aside like Sambuca. They're both good.

But the $10 cover for no-name acts is a tad high...but people pay. It's been full whenever I go.

14. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Don't let TheFreak hear you characterizing them that way. An underrated metal band.

15. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

have any of you guys been to the Last Concert Cafe? I've yet to go, but I hear it's a better-than-average place to catch up on the local music scene with lots of indie draws?

16. krosfyah

Twisted Sister is playing Sunday.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Very cool place. It's a mexican restaurant inside with a stage outside. If it's a nice night, you can't go wrong.

18. MadMax

love that place!!! favorite place to listen to live music, actually. we used to go when i was in high school...one of the few cool things to do downtown back then.

19. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

isn't that the place where they used to have the Greatful Dead cover bands on Sunday afternoons?

Ah! Good times...

20. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

If you come when it's a sports bar you can come in at any age but have to be 21 to drink of course.