1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Officer involved shooting in Brooklyn Center

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Gabe0941, Apr 11, 2021.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It seems personalized, right? That's very American. Someone cuts you off in traffic, it's a personal insult (even though the driver has no idea who you are and does not care). If a misdemeanor suspect runs away from a cop, well, that's a personal affront too. Seems like it's bigger than cops, but who knows. We're a long long way from the Mayberry sheriff's office.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya I think there is something there. I think American culture is more addicted to "machismo" culture than a lot of the developed world. I think counties like Russia and Brazil have similar issues.

Rocket River likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Police need to be demilitarized ASAP. There's no serve or protect here.

4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

More training and less frontline women cops is necessary.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That came out of left field.

I swear half your takes you try to "own the libs" by trying tp play coy and pretend you are some moderate.

Invisible Fan, Andre0087 and jiggyfly like this.
  6. HTM

HTM Member

So you think this officer intended to shoot this person and yelled, "tazer, tazer, tazer" and approached him in a way that looks like someone would approach deploying a tazer as some sort of cover up to murder this random black person they just encountered while their body cam captured everything? :rolleyes:

There's like 700,000 cops in this country, all armed, who have millions of interactions with the public every day.

That's a recipe for an occasional unfortunate incident involving a gun.

It happens.

This officer will pay whatever price society expects for such a mistake.

I'm down with getting rid of guns in this county and eliminating the need for armed police officers. I think that's a pretty rare sentiment though.

Astrodome likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wut?

I don't think this was not an accident but that is as nonsensical as the thing you are disputing.

All you see is a gun being pointed.

8. HTM

HTM Member

Looks like how someone who is deploying a tazer would approach someone to me as opposed to someone who is trying to murder someone with a hand gun.

Feel free to disagree. It's not like it's a particularly important point.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This just shows how cops are not screened properly and make mistakes like anybody else so why should we always give them the benefit of the doubt.

It also shows how cops that are "scared" do things they should not do.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

it seems you are creating a strawman from one comment but what about that approach would be different with a taser?

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Minneapolis PD and likely Brooklyn Center PD also, has a no high speed chase rule. If he had gotten into his car and driven off chances are they radio ahead and set up a road block somewhere to take him into custody.

malakas, tinman and fchowd0311 like this.
  12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

It is hard to justify my quote without being offensive to women in general so I will just leave it at that. There are men who would screw up like this as well. b****es like Chauvin are an example.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  13. HTM

HTM Member

Creating a strawman? What are you on about?

Why are nit picking this? It's not particularly relevant. It's just my opinion, based on my life experience, how I think someone would approach someone to deploy a taser vs. a handgun. If you want to start a stupid debate about it just forget I ever put the line in there and it doesn't change the analysis at all.

Stop being pedantic.

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I have no idea how you would approach somebody differently with a tazer versus a firearm and wouldn't know that was her intention other than she yells "Tazer!".

Even accepting that this is a mistake and that such mistakes are rare doesn't mean this shouldn't be taken very seriously and non only this LEO but Brooklyn PD needs to be looked into about what their training is. Consider that a pilot landing on the wrong runway is very rare but it has happened and in some cases has been deadly. No one would just consider that to be an innocent mistake without looking much more into the pilot and the air traffic controller they were talking too.

malakas and jiggyfly like this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Minnesota is a dangerous city.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes it is. It's all those lakes, you get water on the brain.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Amoebas.

B-Bob and jiggyfly like this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

wow, what a fck up...an unfortunate and deadly mistake

charge her and lock her up

DVauthrin likes this.
  19. HTM

HTM Member

You're a sharp guy. I'm sure you can reasonably imagine officers are trained on tazers and hand guns separately and there are distinct ways for deploying both devices. This nitpicking of my post is pedantic and tiresome though. It's really not an important point.

Who said this shouldn't be taken seriously? I certainly didn't.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

To me this is why, police departments need some form of liability insurance (that individual officers pay in the form of deductions from their paychecks or unions could pay it). Cities can offer an initial pay increase to offset the initial cost of liability insurance but from there the union and/or individual officers have to cover increases. If a cop makes a deadly mistake, the premiums rise. If departments have a good record, the premiums go down. Right now, civil suits are paid by taxpayers with no consequence to the police departments so the incentives to fix training gaps aren't there.