1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Off Season: Free Agents \ Buyouts\ etc.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Mar 25, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

As much as I like Bassey, I like Kai Jones more.

Kai Jones is a freak athlete, maybe best athlete in whole draft which is saying something considering Jalen Green, Kuminga, Mobley, Ziaire Williams, Joshua Christopher, Greg Brown, Terrence Clarke, Mousa Cisse, Jalen Johnson are also in this draft.

saleem and CVcrew like this.
  2. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Why is Kai falling? Would love to land one of him or Greg Brown. Can you imagine a draft of Cade, Kai and Christopher maybe ? Wow

burlesk, saleem and D-rock like this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Ufff.....my friend. I don't want to be too negative. Let me just post a couple of stats on Kai:
    Kai Jones: 218 pounds
    19/20......27 games.....started 10......1.4 FGM......2.8 FGA.....50% (FG%)...0.3 (3PM)....0.9 (3PA)......29% (3P%).....3.6 pts.....
    20/21......26 games.....started 4........3.2 FGM......3.2 FGA.....50% (FG%)...0.5 (3PM)....1.3 (3PA)......38% (3P%).....8.8 pt's......

Project much like Ariel Hukiporti

It looks like everyone has different likes. Hope the Rockets do their homework on this one. Apparently there will be some unhappy people
    no matter which way management turns.

saleem and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Still top 10 IMO but someone is going to fall if Terrence Clarke and Josh Christopher start moving up.

See also the Marcus Smart clone from Baylor and the Juzang kid as well.

I understand the numbers but Kai Jones plays in big program school and also shares the 5 spot with 2 other players, but his upside is off the charts IMO.

Kai Jones floor will be Nic Claxton.

Boston84 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Good pickup by the Nuggets.

They keep finding ways to improve their defense.

jch1911 and DonatelloLimestone like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Need to re-sign the following:

6'5 David Nwaba - defense & energy
    6'5 Sterling Brown - 3P & defense
    6'10 Ray Spalding - defense & roll/ lob threat
    6'11 Kelly Olynyk - Spacing, rebounding & intangibles

*Spalding is backup 5 protection/low cost signing if Olynyk signs elsewhere.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think Josh Christopher will fall between 15 to 18. I like him.

sydmill likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

10. DonatelloLimestone

Nuggets are all hands on deck. They realize there is as good as an opening as you can find in the nba and they arguably overpaid for Gordon, but realizing you have a chance to win with around Jokic so gather all the talent you can. MPJ was worth the gamble and they still have Bol Bol and his extremely unique skill set on Deck. McGee playing above him anyways. They will be a problem come playoff time and the ownership has soccer/football teams too, they’ve got he money to go for it in Denver.

Rockets aren’t a buyout destination unlike years passed unless someone what’s a chance/showcase opportunity to build up their value rather than established talent looking for home

jch1911 and D-rock like this.
  11. jayfree

jayfree Member

Maybe the Nets don't get to the Finals this year and Harden gets bought out, only to come back to Houston.

Fertitta's plan all along.

BigShasta likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree with all your points but not necessarily that they overpaid for AG.

Magic fans believe that DEN stole AG in the trade.

jch1911 likes this.
  13. DonatelloLimestone

I wouldn’t be totally surprised to see Harden pulling a lebron. They both spent about 7 years with insane useage rates trying to will their way to a title. Didn’t happen and then they went to a super team and lebron compared that to his college learning to win experience.

Remember, Harden has invested in several business ventures in Houston, the soccer team, he doesn’t rent here he owns his homes and has even moved his mother here. They just had a new restaurant opened this year. This doesn’t sound like a guy who was itching to leave but he saw the writing on the wall that the franchise was not in financial shape to go ‘all in’. But by all accounts, it was with a heavy heart(all of it handled terrible from all sides) but I could see him coming back and trying to win here and if thats the case we have guys like Tate who can fit any single team with shis skill set, ad a couple other young guys and harden can take us over the top. His game is not reliant on athleticism so in theory he should age better then most.

14. jayfree

jayfree Member

Who knows. Perhaps Harden and Fertitta's best case scenario was to blow it up, but have Hardin go to a contender for basic training on winning rings, then come back when the team is stocked with young talents from the draft and retooled. I'd welcome him back still.

jch1911 likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nunnally off the table now - LOL

16. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

i was excited for him before, but he hasn’t really showed much.

D-rock likes this.
  17. xaos

xaos Member

Wonder if we should take a look at terrance ferguson

D-rock likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Part of that disastrous 2019 roster management, coming off legit title run in 2018.

Rocket River and HTown_TMac like this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Rockets are:
    1. A Strong Free Agent Signing
    2. A Strong Draft
    3. Consistent Coaching and practice time
    away from being in the playoffs

Rocket River

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

This is why I keep banging the drum on Matisse Thybulle.

He is just a game wrecker on D. Only non-big in top 20 in blocks and tied for 6th in steals while only averaging 19 mins/game. His def +/- is off the charts at 4.2, leads NBA.

Doc doesnt love him as much as Beett Brown did that's for sure.

Thybulle would look real nice next to Porter-Wood. Still only 24 and in 2nd season. Like Wood, is an analytics freak about to break out.