1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 4 pick or Bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Now that Wolves got Russell back playing, they are a lot more competitive. That should help them win more games, which helps us stay at the bottom. Go get them buckets DAngelo!

saleem and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. sydmill

sydmill Member

That was my fear coming out of the trade deadline. However, Orlando now has 17 wins to our 14 with 19 games left. The only hope for Orlando is for the Rockets to run the table on their winnable games (Orlando, Minnesota, Miami and GS). I dont see that happening. And even if it did, its probably even money that Detroit wins one or two more putting the Rockets in 3rd (worst).

SamFisher likes this.
  3. sydmill

sydmill Member

Really like Barnes. If the Rockets end up at #3 I seriously consider moving Wood to Washington or Toronto to pair Barnes with Green (who I would choose at 3 if I had a trade lined up for Barnes). Otherwise, I am still in Kuminga's camp outside of picks 1 and 2.

BallaDoc likes this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

[​IMG]

they trying to bully us into a bad pick.

saleem likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not seeing Barnes as a 5.

More like a playmaker and defensive stopper at the 4.

Essentially playing Cade role, minus the 40% 3ball but with elite defense.

#1785 D-rock, Apr 12, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    RedIsen likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Scottie Barnes is elite iso defender, especially on perimeter.

Will lock down 1-4.

RedIsen, Rudyc281 and sydmill like this.
  7. thekad

thekad Member

In the last video, all three of those Barnes highlights would be fouls in the NBA. His feet are pretty slow and his stance and positioning aren’t good. Looks like he’s just getting by on size.

8. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As it stands now if 1 team in the current bottom 3 stays in the bottom 3 after the lottery happens, we get to keep our top 4 protected pick.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

10. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Yeah I think he's a 3/4, that can hopefully switch 1-5 on defense. I like Barnes. A really interesting skillset to go with good measurables and motor. I do think calling him Cade minus the 3 ball kinda makes sense in that they're big wing passers with high basketball IQ, but I think that's being generous towards Barnes' offense. Cade showed he could carry a team with his scoring. Barnes barely has a jumpshot.

FSU ran him at point, but if you're expecting him to be an offensive engine or turn into a primary option you're prob gonna be disappointed. He's not particularly athletic and is really not half court scoring threat. Things that can be improved, but lower his ceiling and his ability to be an impact creator in the NBA. What makes him appealing is the defensive versatility, decision making, and passing.

I think he'll really thrive on offense with a team where he can make decisions and passes off another initiator. I know player comps are lazy, especially comps to Draymond Green, but I think that's the type of player you're hoping for with Barnes.

D-rock likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's true, but as we come to the close, some teams may not be playing their star players, and who knows with the way the NBA is now who's going to be "resting". We suck enough to where it hopefully won't matter except against teams like Orlando or something. I'm still pissed about that Dallas game, but maybe it won't matter. lol

Yup. I was looking at that the other day. But I'm hoping we suck enough to where it won't matter or the TWolves lose their minds and win a few games. The lottery is going to be interesting with the potentially multiple-pick-lottery teams like OKC and Orlando possibly making out like bandits if they get really lucky. Or not if they get unlucky. The lottery really is one big crapshoot now. lol.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

SRP or UDFA:

6'7 Herb Jones - 35% 3ball shooter and averages over 1 steal and 1 block a game - potential elite defense

6'8 Rai Quan Gray - powerful but undersized playmaking 5, plays like Draymond; can switch 1-5

6'8 Kessler Edwards - classic 3-D player; 38% 3P and averages 1 steal and block per game

sydmill likes this.
  13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Looking at the schedule remaining, there are really only 2 games that we should have even a chance of winning.

Test of Silas mettle here. Substitution patterns need to be on point to keep the current win pace down.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I’m a big fan of Barns

D-rock likes this.
  16. sydmill

sydmill Member

I would add Bones Hyland, Bennedict Mathurin and Scottie Lewis to that list. Hyland and Brooks would be some sweet shooting off the bench. Mathurin projects as a 3 and D prospect and Lewis is similar to Thybulle in my mind (for good and bad reasons).

D-rock likes this.
  17. sydmill

sydmill Member

If he comes out, do you have an opinion on Joe Wieskamp from Iowa? I love his shot and at 6'6'' and with a 7' wingspan I think he is athletic enough to play as a backup 3. Could he be something similar to Duncan Robinson for the Rockets?

D-rock likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not familiar with Wieskamp but I love Bones Hyland and like Scottie Lewis very much.

Hyland likely rises to bottom of the 1st, he is just that good.

Is Mathurin coming out? He should stay another year IMO but I'm surprised you compared him to Thybulle.

Mathurin is much more advanced and dynamic offensively than Thybulle, but he is no where near the defender.

Scottie Lewis I could see compared to Thybulle defensively but Mathurin has poor DWS and is +40% 3P with 62 TS% and almost 125 ORTG.

EDIT: You DID compare Lewis with Thybulle, not Mathurin - my error.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

6'7 uber athlete Ben Mathurin - would love to steal this kid but not sure where he gets drafted, still so raw.

sydmill likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Scottie Lewis would be a great 2 way sign as UDFA. He is a freak but plays so out of control at times, inconsistent.

If Scottie Lewis shot 3ball like he did last season (36%) he would have been a late first rounder. Human Pogo Stick.

#1800 D-rock, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Trackwell likes this.