1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, trade down unless you feel the pick isn't a franchise changing player. Cade could be a game changer.

2. Landry's Tooth

What if he's a tall Fultz?

Being #1 doesn't mean you won't bust... even non-busts are spotty... Kat isn't doing much in Minnesota when it comes to winning... Wiggins?

I'm saying based on need and fit... I'm not sure i pass on Cade but i would consider it with a good enough offer... Okc has the assets to offer to keep him in ok to sell tickets...

fattz and hakeem94 like this.
  3. Landry's Tooth

How do you know they are late firsts?

Joe Harris is their best player under contract 3 years from now.... one leaves like kyrie and they are no different than other good teams and no cap space or assests for a 3rd star... one is out, they are all out is my feeling...

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I'm ok with that saleem.

Rockets are in a tough complicated spot, no doubt. I'm not thrilled with the picks projected to be available 20 thru 30.

McLemore has left for the Lakers and has criticized the Rocket "Culture"

Rockets have a huge PR problem moving forward. Yes, if the Rockets had an NFL 53 man roster we could keep all of our picks and
    re-sign all of out tree agents; unfortunately the NBA gives you a 15 man roster and 2 Dual players. Because of Covid adjustments.

If the Rockets don't get a top 4 pick, Rockets are in trouble.
    If the Rockets can't re-sign Olynyk, Rockets are in trouble.
    If the Rockets can't sign other free agents, Rockets are in trouble.

Rockets might be able to trade Avery Bradley, KM jr and House to help improve this team. CF's claim they love
    KM jr while trying to replace him at the same time by way of the draft. So yes, I believe KM jr is expendable.

fattz, hakeem94, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

Boo! First, it's not smart. Quality over depth. But second, we have a ton of picks. So nothing to gain in terms of depth. If you wanted to trade for an All Star, then u could at least consider it. However, John Wall is an all star quality and you can see how that's going. We need a complete legit star.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

It all depends on player evaluation. If you believe Cade has top 5 player potential, under no circumstances do you trade that pick, no matter the return.

7. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Both perspectives are valid but seems that is the case almost every draft when Lebron James is not in it.

Obviously it is best player pick every time for Houston being in a rebuild despite position.

It’s pretty clear Cade is the best player. The concern is his mental makeup. Dude is not even 20 years old yet. Maybe he turns into a beast like Giannis did, constantly working on his game and growing into his body. OR maybe he caves when he gets to the NBA and never figures the mental part out.

The second point is valid too, trading down to possibly land two top 10 guys in a pretty deep draft. You can tell some guys are just gonna translate well to the NBA. I like Mitchell. He’s gonna be a really good player. Borderline All Star.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

We need to stop using our assets as a means to rid ourselves of perceived "deadweight".

Those picks are valuable in maneuvering for better players rather than offloading them with our unwanted vets.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

This is a bad comparison. Cavs had Kyrie on that team, in addition to, oh, the best player in the freakin' world

coachbadlee and steddinotayto like this.
  10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Vontae Mack no matter what

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

OP fails to consider all the options.

If Rockets have the 4th overall pick, then Stone needs to weigh ALL his options:
    • Trade DOWN for assets (AS caliber player or 2020 pick) - stay in top 10
    • Trade UP by packaging player + FRP (Rockets have 2 picks in 20's)
    • Stay at 4th spot and take BPA
    • Package all 3 picks + Wall for franchise player

juanming and steddinotayto like this.
  12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If Houston gets the #1 pick (defying an almost 50% chance of just losing the pick entirely) and trades that pick...it better be for something extraordinary and that SGA plus picks package is not it.

D-rock likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm 1000% confident if LeBron didn't come back to Cleveland the Cavaliers would have kept Wiggins.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah how is that a bad comparison? Even if they didn't win a ring KLove has been far and away the superior player to Wiggins. Klove has been in multiple all star teams and nods Wiggins hasn't even been in 1 yet. Even if Lebron didn't come back and Cavs never won a ring Cleveland still won that trade by a mile.

The point is you take a risk for drafting an unknown Wiggins was THE Zion Williamson when he was in high school everybody was saying he the next Lebron. So even someone like Cade, we think he will turn out great but we all don't know how he will turn out in the end. Someone like SGA oth is a lot more sure he will translate into an all star caliber and likely max player cuz of what he has shown so far. If you keep throwing picks into the deal then there's gonna be a point where you ok to take SGA and the pick package over Cade.

Like compare Brandon Ingram and Zion would you take BI and 5 unprotected first from the Pelicans or just Zion Williamson? Lots of people would take BI and the pick package now but at the time of the draft majority would say nah cuz Zion is hype king.

#54 roslolian, Apr 17, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    hakeem94 and Trackwell like this.
  15. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

It depends, if it’s a top five pick That we are netting in return and a bunch of future first, I would prolly do it

16. T for 3

T for 3 Member

1 superstar can make you a contender for years in the NBA. You have to swing for the fences.

Corrosion likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

so simple, yet mayority of people are clueless

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I would be besides myself if we just endured this debacle and passed on Cade, Mobley, Green or Suggs - it would really ruin my mood.

it’s fun to argue Green vs Cade or whoever else in basketball semantics, but I’d be happy with any of the guys in the top 4 this year. Outside of that there is still great talent, but then you’re trying to hedge that an upcoming draft will be better. I like Chet and Emoni as prospects, but outside of those guys there isn’t the franchise changing depth that this years draft has IMO. You need to grab one of these guys this year to make the pain stop.

NBA draft net has us hitting 2 #1s in a row!!
    https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/?year-mock=2022

D-rock likes this.
  19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Replies to you in bold.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

A lot of talk about something that has a 12% chance of happening.

crossing my fingers

Richie_Rich and D-rock like this.