1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Tony buzbee filing lawsuit against Deshaun Watson? Hints at mistreating women

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 16, 2021.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Buzbee had a head start, so definitely Hardin.

2. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

Exactly. Every one wants to look back and say, Texans should have drafted Mahomes. However, Mahomes and Reid were the perfect match of QB and HC. I have no doubt that Mahomes would not be as productive with O'Brien as he has been with Reid.

Unlike, Reid, I just don't see BoB implementing concepts from the Texas Tech offense into the fake Patriots' offense he was running. Hell, going into his 3rd season, Mahomes is on record saying he was still learning how to read defenses. BoB would have overloaded him with calling protections, making adjustments at the LOS and that BS offense.

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still would have preferred him over who we have at this moment. Doesn't matter though. Hindsight. We're stuck with a disgruntled QB, in the mess of a scandal who is screwing our team's future. One step backwards, once again. Texans fans deserve better than this derailing train of drama.

3Rings likes this.
  4. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Everyone definitely says that in hindsight, but in the moment the 3 QBs taken early were Trubisky (shocker to everyone and a 1 year starter at UNC of all places), Mahomes (who set lots of records in the Texas Tech offense, but never won anything) and Watson (the All-World QB who defeated the mighty Bama and left Saban dumbfounded.)

I can't fault anyone for thinking we made the right choice, even in hindsight. The QB we chose wasn't the problem, as much as the man coaching him was....

#2164 primtim24, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    3Rings likes this.
  5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

O'Brien was definitely the problem of the past, and now the problem of the present and the future all lies on Deshaun, and it's just as frustrating.

#2165 deb4rockets, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    3Rings likes this.
  6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

7. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Not sure if this was posted but:

Massage therapist Jasmine Brooks talks about her interactions Deshaun Watson

8. likestohypeguy

Somehow that single defender's story seems worse than the accusers themselves.

Given her contradictory private communications since, the most credible thing to me in all this, is believing the opposite of her public account.

Nook, primtim24 and Blatz like this.
  9. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I 100% agree. Listening to her, she doesn't really do anything for me in relation to thinking that these other women are lying....

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why?

Let's just say I was out of college at that time.

When did Watson or his camp ever say that?

11. Nook

Nook Member

By turning this into a "he said/she said" argument (at the cost of Watson's image), Hardin may have gotten enough to prevail even in a civil case, but not sure that the general public is going to believe Watson or his attorney.

Fronting sexual activity BUT it was consensual really makes it harder for the plaintiff to prove their cases. However it isn't the road that Hardin initially wanted to take because it does harm Watson's image even more and in the general public opens up more questions. The only reason that it would be fronted is if Hardin knows or believes that there is evidence out there of sexual relations (and possibly worse). Then whatever damning evidence is out there, Hardin can go with the lame Kobe defense of "well he thought it was agreed sex, and why didn't she go to the police if it wasn't".... and chip away at the plaintiffs.

I will say having all the female massage therapists come forward and claiming how professional Watson was does ring hollow with Hardin now fronting that Watson had sex with some of his massage therapists.

IBTL and primtim24 like this.
  12. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Couldn’t admitting to even having consensual sex with these therapists lead to solicitation charges? And perhaps sex trafficking, as he flew some across state lines to massage him. I agree that him admitting to have sex with some of the women doesn’t help at all. And he likely only did so because there lost be clear evidence out here that he did. I don’t see this ending very well for Watson at all.

13. likestohypeguy

Yeah now in order to vouch for him, the girls kind of have to tacitly admit to prostitution at worst, improper relationships with clients at best, that DW was "professional" about with them.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. likestohypeguy

No matter what else comes about it this case, there is no way they'd go after any of these girls (or DW for that matter) for soliciting. And highly unlikely that US atty would try to charge DW with trafficking. Federal prosecutors generally only pursue near air tight cases, and that'd be a stretch.

16. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Here is my issue with this, how does a NFL franchise QB look to someone with 6 months experience as a therapist and then some with absolutely no experience and not are not even licensed, there is no credibility if he wants a real sports massage and he is going down this road

17. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

He is throwing the ball at the 17 second mark

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31223804/examining-dual-narratives-deshaun-watson-massages

An examination by ESPN of the 22 lawsuits and interviews with six other women who have massaged Watson reveal a complex portrait of a man on a seemingly insatiable hunt for massage therapy and of two groups of women -- one that says he is a menacing sexual predator and one that suggests his actions must have been grossly misunderstood.

Nine of the 22 plaintiffs represented by attorney Tony Buzbee are licensed massage therapists, while the rest are either working toward massage licenses or specialize in skin treatments or other wellness therapies. Most live in the Houston area. Two are from Georgia and one each from California and Arizona.

There also is a 23rd therapist, not represented by Buzbee, who was first interviewed by Sports Illustrated and has since spoken with ESPN. All of the women allege behavior that ranges from unwanted sexual contact to groping to forced oral sex.

[...]

But at least one massage therapist who has not sued Watson, a woman from Houston who has asked to go by the pseudonym Mary, told ESPN she felt "shocked" when Watson exposed his naked body and became sexually aroused during a massage session in the fall of 2019.

Mary, a licensed massage therapist in her late 20s, remembered being told before the appointment that Watson liked to use a towel instead of sheets. "I did get the biggest towel that I could find because I'm used to requiring a full sheet draping," she said.

She said she greeted Watson at the back door to her rented office space and led him up a back staircase to the massage studio. Watson, she said, had asked her to focus her massage on his lower abdomen, inner thighs and quadriceps. She said Watson was on his back about 45 minutes into the session when he threw off the towel, exposing his naked body. Mary said she'd never experienced such a thing in more than 1,000 previous appointments.

"I was in shock," Mary said. "All I knew was the session was booked by someone who referred a lot of people to me. I trust what she says." The woman whom Mary said referred Watson has not responded to requests for comment from ESPN.

Mary said that when Watson exposed himself, she decided to push down her confusion and shock and "continue to be professional and finish the session."

Toward the end of her session, Mary said, Watson started clenching and thrusting, "like he was humping the air." At first, she thought she was massaging too deeply and hurting him. She said he started thrusting even faster, and she later noticed what appeared to be bodily fluid on his stomach.

"I told him to calm down ... and he stopped," Mary said. "We ended the session about five to 10 minutes later."

She stressed that Watson never forced her to do anything or touched her inappropriately, but his actions left her shaken. "The only thing I could think of was continuing the session and just finishing so I could get him out of my office," she said.

On her drive home, she called her older sister, who also spoke with ESPN and recalled that conversation.

"She was very distraught," the older sister said. But that distress eventually gave way to anger.

"We're not sex workers, we're massage therapists," Mary said. "We work with cancer patients. We work with physical therapists. We're professionals, and it's just not fair for someone who honestly could have anything he wants to come and treat our profession the way that he did. So I want an apology for the community and just some respect."

Mary said that Watson reached back out to her on Instagram twice after her session with him. ESPN has reviewed those direct message exchanges, which came from Watson's verified Instagram account.

Mary said she thinks Watson had forgotten their previous encounter when he made contact with her again in November 2020.

"Hello, I got requested by a friend to see you as a massage therapist?!" a message from the account said on the morning of Nov. 26.

"I don't mind working with you again but you have to respect my profession," Mary replied, adding, "You made me feel uncomfortable last time you were in."

"Oh gotcha, sorry there were no intentions for anything more," came the reply.

Mary also reminded Watson of her policies in that same exchange: "I do require draping with sheets, i know last time you requested just a towel. So long as you're cool with my policies we can 1000% get you booked," she told him.

She said Watson never wound up booking with her again.

Instead, she and her sister reacted with shock and anger as the cascade of allegations started in March. "I didn't know the extent. It was like, 'Wow.' We didn't realize he was doing that to multiple people and his behavior has gotten worse," Mary's sister said.

Mary said she reached out to Buzbee's law firm but declined to sign as a client after feeling "pressured." She has since retained U.A. Lewis, a Houston civil rights attorney, who says she has not yet determined if Mary will file a case against Watson.

"If you're a predator, you're a predator," Lewis said. "I think he needs help."

[...]

ESPN ALSO INTERVIEWED five of the 18 women who, through Watson's legal team, provided statements supporting the quarterback.

"I don't know what could have happened with anybody else, but he was never aggressive, disrespectful, 'rapey' or anything toward me," Kya Hillman, a military veteran and licensed aesthetician, told ESPN. She said she worked on Watson three times between October and December 2020. "I don't think he has the capability of being aggressive with people like that. All he does is smile," she said.

Dr. Arielle Ball, a licensed physical therapist, said in her statement released by Hardin that Watson "never made me uncomfortable and was always professional" during several sessions in 2019 and 2020.

However, Ball told ESPN she was "kind of shocked" that Watson worked with so many therapists.

"From my experience from working with athletes with sports performance, they typically have maybe a handful of therapists that they trust and that they know are effective, and then they would just utilize those," Ball said.

Dany Craig, a licensed massage therapist in Atlanta since 2008, told ESPN she worked with Watson three times in early 2020 at her Atlanta home, where she typically sees clients. Craig, 46, said that when working on the groin area, it's inevitable that massage therapists will brush up against the genitals of male clients.

"I've brushed several penises, testicles. It's not a big deal. You just move the body part out of the way and you keep working," she said.

But it became apparent during Craig's interview with ESPN that she was not aware of the nature of the allegations made against Watson by nearly two dozen women and had not read any of the lawsuits.

"By no means am I saying that these women shouldn't be able to tell their stories, because they should," Craig said. "The women deserve to be heard, and people like me should probably tell their truth as well for some sort of balance, and then let the court of law decide what happened."

Masako Jones, 39, told ESPN she was "flabbergasted" by the allegations against Watson. The six-year licensed massage therapist said she worked with Watson several times starting in October 2019 and always found him to be "professional, polite" and "respectful."

Jones said it's typical for athletes to ask for treatment in their groin areas and that less experienced therapists might have misunderstood Watson's requests.

"I'm not quite sure how these women may have misconstrued what he was requesting as anything sexual," Jones said.

Jones told ESPN she can recall at least two occasions when Watson developed an erection during her massage sessions with him. That detail was not included in her statement released by Watson's legal team. But, Jones told ESPN, "erection does not equal being turned on or sexually aroused. It could just be a relaxed state."

[...]

"I don't know what's true and what's not true, but there was never a red flag, never once," an NFL source who has been close to Watson told ESPN. "Hoping it's not true and really having a hard time even grasping that. I cannot, even today, even fathom him assaulting somebody. I just don't see it. I can't even picture it."

Billy Voltaire, 37, a former Texans strength and conditioning therapist who was fired last year amid other team changes, described Watson as a loyal friend who supported him through a difficult divorce. He said the two have continued to work out together into this year. Voltaire said he found out about the allegations on Twitter as he approached Watson's front door before a workout on the morning of March 17.

"I was in complete shock ... I was literally at the door when I found out," Voltaire said. "It's terrible because I know him personally. It's not him. It's sad to see. It's clear as day to me that something deeper is happening."

Voltaire and Watson didn't work out that day: "It was his idea to just focus on this and not be distracted by anything else."

They haven't worked out since.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, it seems like even his lawyer is essentially confirming dude is kinda creepy, but the line in the sand right now is saying he didn't force anyone to do anything they didn't want to do. "I was acting creepy with people who were into it and got paid." Seems like his endorsement career is done, give or take some seriously off-brand dating service.

joshuaao and ElPigto like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

IBTL and Nook like this.