1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Porter’s Effort Level

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Apr 10, 2021.

1. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

If we’re talking about the defensive end, there’s a reason he reminds us all of Harden. He does have work to do but it’s also not like he’s not switching. He fights through picks and around screens. Decent rebounding. I think it’s too difficult to hone in on this year. I think next year is probably the better test.

2. csc177

csc177 Member

Once wall is gone - KP will blossom

Highlyrated likes this.
  3. juanm34

juanm34 Member

KPJ is aware of the Tank.
    I’d like Silas to give him more minutes for evaluation purposes-

raining threes likes this.
  4. Chamillionaire

Great post into his psyche. It sounds like you know a lot about bipolarism.

He truly does look disinterested.

Mathloom likes this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

For the record I'm not saying pass on any of the top 5 picks.

I'm saying maybe Porter becomes the odd man out. Porter could shine like Harden if allowed to play point shooting guard with a USG%
    above 30%. Now I know Harden could adapt to team system. Harden showed it a few years back and excelled in Silas system
    earlier this year. Harden numbers were off the charts.

Problem here on Clutchfans is that everyone thinks it's so easy putting ball dominate players together and everyone sings kumbya, holds
    hands, everyone puts away egos, and every player gets 30% USG%. This is the real world and it doesn't work that way. It requires
    chemistry. Young, and I emphasis young, Wood needs to probably come down from his 30% USG%, along with Wall, to allow
    Porter to get his 27% to 28% USG% which is where he shines.

Then you factor in Eric Gordon getting his 20% UdG%, and then either Mobley, Cade, Jalen Green needing their touches. There is only one ball.
    Rockets may be creating a cluster **** with a bunch of ball dominate players I call show ponies while
    few doing the dirty work.

6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Where are you getting all this intel on KPJ from? This claim that he will become “amazingly motivated”, what are you basing it on? His time in Cleveland?

7. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

The harden comparison loses more base with every passing week but it doesn’t bother me because I never set that bar. Jsut was funny and interesting to read it. He’s much more closer to D’Angelo Russell.

consistency is his bigger issue. If he’s going to be this hot/cold next year then he shouldn’t be starting unless we rebuilding for another lottery pick

8. hakeemthagreat

Sounds like Harden in a playoff elimination game

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I’m not the OP but I think the implication from his post is that we are watching is a kid bored by playing on a team with a bunch of far inferior players. In school terms - he’s the kid who is making poor grades but aces big tests (showing his ceiling is much higher) because he is bored surrounded by less advanced students. Again - not my take, but that’s what I gathered from that post

raining threes likes this.
  10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...ummm - you ever watch Westbrook’s defensive effort in a game or for that matter whenever the ball isn’t in his hands? Great idea in practice but Westbrook def isn’t that dude. Just another example of someone who talks the talk but definitely doesn’t walk it.

harold bingo likes this.
  11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I agree with that interpretation of his post. To use your analogy, what are these big tests that he has aced?

He has shown flashes on offense, he has shown he can handle the ball a bit. How do you go from that to he will be “amazingly motivated as a lead guard”? Seems like pure conjecture.

12. jayfree

jayfree Member

New team, same posts, different name

13. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

That’s my hope is that he is just plain bored and nothing else. He is my favorite player on the team and I literally bought season pass just to watch him and KJ play. If I can sit through it, then isn’t it fair to expect some effort from his side since he’s young and getting paid?

14. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

If he could provide what Harden does on the offensive end, I could give him a pass on his defensive effort, or lack thereof.

15. vator

vator Contributing Member

KPJ has a lot of work to do. All this talk about his athleticism, but he rarely looks uber athletic doing anything other than dunking.

1. Handles are mediocre
    2. First step/ability to beat his man off the dribble and get to the basket consistently is mediocre
    3. Ability to attack in transition on the break is mediocre which goes back in part to 1 and 2
    4. Body control while attacking the basket is mediocre. Lots of awkward landings too.
    5. Jumpshot is broken

He has talent for sure. His passing is good, but his bball IQ and the pace he plays with need a lot of improvement. Doubt he’s a point guard long term based on a lot of the aforementioned concerns unless he decides to live in the gym.

Rockets need to draft best player available at their pick. Doesn’t matter if they slot into Wood’s or Porter’s position.

#35 vator, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    duluth111222 likes this.
  16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Cade Cunningham ain't all that, imo. This is a top tier role player draft.

17. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Maybe. But at least there’s hope. KPJ and Wood are like meh...

18. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

He may thrive more in a system where his coaches actually show some anger towards him (and take action) when he makes zero effort on defense. Silas just keeps clapping to help motivate a better effort. At some point, he needs to chew out a player (in front of others) to let him know it’s not acceptable to give half hearted effort on this team. Even MDA occasionally would call a timeout and be screaming at House as he walked off the court for missing assignments and then temporarily bench him.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Just plain bored? Lol, tf? How are u 2nd year player and bored 16 games in? That sounds ridiculous

Boston84, T for 3 and vator like this.
  20. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Agreed on all points. His handles jump out to me. Loses the ball way too often, sometimes unforced.