1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

after the pandemic, would it be possible to have an exhibition game? Baylor Bears or Houston Cougars vs Houston Rockets?

I wonder how the Rockets would fare agaInst the college students.

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Fit in Silas system matters:

Olynyk (20/21):
    Miami: 43 gms- (38 started)...3.8 (FGM)....8.7 (FGA)....43% (FG%)....1.8 (3PM)..5.7 (3PA)....32% (3P%)....
    Houston 8gms (5 started)......6.1 (FGM)...10.4 (FGA)...59% (FG%)....2.0 (3PM)...5.1 (3PA)...39% (3P%)....

Miami....: 6.1 (TRB).....0.9 stl....10.0 points.........12.1 PER.........105 ORtg..........108 DRtg........
    Houston: 7.5 (TRB)....1.0 stl.....16.9 points.........21.9 PER.........130 ORtg..........110 DRtg........

116 ORtg in 19/20 was Olynyk's high mark prior to current 130 ORtg.
    117.8 PER in 17/18 was Olynyk's high mark prior to current 21.9 PER.

joshuaao, fckbandwagons and D-rock like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree, Rockets need a balance of vets and young players, but saying bye bye to Silas us not necessarily a bad thing either.

Going all in on this draft is asset acquisition too, not necessarily the final form of the rebuild.

You know that I've advocated trading that top 4 pick for a proven young player like MPJ and/or dumping Wall's contract and roll dice for 2020 draft.

Drafting "names" in this draft creates options for the Rockets.

And I was a Mamadu Diakite fan too. Also liked Paul Reed and Isaiah Joe. Morey and are simpatico like that. :D

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Today the Nets have to make a decision on Alize Johnson. Second 10-day contract ends tonight and they can't offer another.

Either they give him guaranteed contract or lose him. Since they are completely maxed out in cap and recently added LaMarcus Aldridge
    and Blake Griffin to go with DeAndre Jordan and Claxton. Alize is further along than most of these projects picks in the late first
    round of this draft. Most teams are capped out as well. I think we still have some MLE to use.

I watched Alize Johnson when the Rockets were pursuing him, Jalen Green was on the other team. Both looked great. Jalen scored
    30 pt's.....5 rebs.....7 ast.and did whatever he wanted. Half court shot at the end of the half or end
    of a quarter. Some lapses where a smaller guard got by him.....bu tvery, very good. I would not pass
    up on him unless Cade was available.

I'm hoping we end up with Cade or Jalen Green from the draft and Alize is with us minus the injury stuff last season like Nwaba did last year.

#884 ApacheWarrior, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    D-rock, fckbandwagons and saleem like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Good for him. Thanks J.R.

7. sydmill

sydmill Member

@ApacheWarrior

I know you aren't a big fan of loading up on rooks as I am. I would like the Rockets to add their three picks plus an additional one acquired by trading bradley to next year's squad. I would try to bring back Olynyk, Brown and Nwaba as vets (to go along with Wood, Wall, Gordon and Augustin). So that's 4 rookies and 3 second or third year players (KPJ, Tate and Martin) to mesh with 8 vets. That seems like balance to me. Keep in mind some if these guys would be in RGV for much of the season too.

D-rock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We still gonna tank against a college team. This tank has no boundaries

peleincubus and Jontro like this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Understood, and like I told @D-rock, that's what you do in a normal rebuild. But we are told by management that the Rockets are going to do
    a quick rebuild. That means fewer of these 4 year projects. If so then management needs to be honest and say, "We are probably looking at
    being competitive 5 to 6 years down the road." Much like the 76ers 7 year process.

Vets
    1) Wall
    2) Wood
    3) Augustin
    4) House (not getting this system)
    5) Olynyk (hopefully re-signed)

Raw vets
    6) Tate (1st yr NBA, 6'4" undersized)

7) KM jr (1st yr player) people are suggesting drafting guys at his position. We can't keep drafting for the sake
    of drafting. These players don't end up developing. Its like drafting a quarterback every year. They tend
    not to get better. I was told we got a steal in KM jr and now we are already spending a pick on replacing him.
    That's a waste. Much like the waste the 76ers did which cost them 7 years developing and then shipping them
    out.......?for picks?

Rooks
    8) Cade or Jalen Green or Mobley or Kuminga or Suggs. If we retain the pick Raw, will need to transition to quicker bigger players,
    travel, NBA schedules, less zone defenses which means they actually have to play men to man defense as well.

9) pick 22
    10) pick 24

You say add Sterling Brown and Nwaba. Filling out roster spots 11) and 12)

Good luck with that team and the future of that team. Porter and and Wood will bail.......and you are hoping rooks develop.
    They often do but join other teams right when their rookie contracts finish. So basically we will be training them for others.

D-rock likes this.
  10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm beginning to like Green over Cunningham.

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I believe that Green possesses the most ability (both athletic and skillwise) to get his own shot consistently. I am wavering on my rankings of these guys. Should we pick top 3, ill be happy with any of Green/Cunningham/Mobley.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

13. Marteen

Marteen Member

Cade is for potential, Jalen Suggs has that "it" factor for me. I hope the Rockets slip to #2 or #3 to make it easier to pick Suggs.

BamBam and arabrocket like this.
  14. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Is going to be hard for the Rockets to get rid of John Wall with that big contract he has.

15. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Suggs at two or three is probably a reach.

coachbadlee likes this.
  16. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

That 5 would be fun to watch!

coachbadlee, D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. sydmill

sydmill Member

Lot to unpack there. First of all, all that has been said us that mgmt doesn't foresee a multi season tank. I don't think they are expecting (and I'm not sure it's possible) for the Rockets to be a contender next season. I think if they are within shouting distance of a playoff spot next season with young players who are on the upswing that is about as much as can be expected. To go from bottom of the league to something like the current pelicans in a single off-season is progress.

Martin is looking like a steal. He appears to potentially be a rotation player which is more than I expected from an undersized guy straight out of hs. His mom is the only person who thinks his presence should impact any move the Rockets might make moving forward.

You still want Bassey, right? You get that the only real difference between the plan I proposed which you deride is probably Alize Johnson or DJ Wilson? What veterans do you see the rockets being able to afford who might move the needle? They may not have a choice in bringing in either overpaid, over-the-hill vets or young guys with potential.

And finally, who are KPJ or Wood to turn their nose up at an nba roster spot? Porter was just given away for nothing and Wood was dumped as well. If Detroit and Cleveland think they're better off without you that says something. If those guys go from 0 to diva that quick perhaps we are better off without them.

#897 sydmill, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Wall was a really good player before all the injuries .... That Washington team just didn't have a whole lot of talent outside Wall & Beal.
    That franchise had a terrible track record of talent evaluation in the draft & poor spending. Just look at their recent draft history ....

groovemachine and Easy like this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Stupid question, but what would make them fun to watch? I'm asking because do you think our record will be a winning one after adding a Cade Cunningham, or will it still be bad, but somehow be fun to watch the team despite that?

Corrosion likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Sounds a lot like Kuminga coming out this year .... really solid game , particularly in the mid range but really lacking in outside shooting.

Most of us were pissed when Morey passed on Kawhi for Marcus Morris ..... UGH.

coachbadlee likes this.