1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Steph carry his own team thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jiggyfly, Dec 22, 2020.

1. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

If Harden had Curry's team from 2012 to 2020 and Curry had Harden's team from 2012 to 2020, Harden would have comfortably won about 5 rings. I highly doubt Curry would have won any.

Curry can go off on nights and be amazing, but he cannot carry a team for a whole season. Harden has had some average Rockets rosters and got them easily in the playoffs. I hight doubt that Curry would have done the same. He's just not that type of player. Amazing scorer and shooter, but he's not a great playmaker.

hakeem94, HP3 and Nook like this.
  2. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Oubre and his 32% 3pt shooting (on 5 attempts per game) wouldn't have lasted a single season alongside Harden (especially with his attitude). On the other hand, Wiggins has outperformed expectations, but he's still in the same tier as Eric Gordon.

#1742 wekko368, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Illogical statement.

The correct statement would be "Curry doesn't seem able to carry a team that doesn't have another star."

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Our team is bad, but you're forgetting that Christian Wood and Eric Gordon have missed a lot of time.

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I understand your point, but frankly, why does it matter if they make the playoffs or not? Even if they did make the playoffs, they wouldn't have a puncher's chance at winning a title. This is clearly a lost season for GSW.

Regarding superstars and losing records, how often do superstars find themselves with such a poor, ill-fitting supporting cast?

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't understand this. Before Durant joined them, these are the players that surrounded him:
    Thompson
    Green
    Igoudala (32 years old)
    Barnes
    Bogut
    Livingston

Which of these are stars? I'd say maybe Thompson can be considered a star. But he is far from being a franchise level player like Paul, Westbrook, Irving, Wade, Davis, Bosh, George, etc.

They were a bunch of very good players that fit very well together.

hakeem94 and J.R. like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Green, Klay and KD all are going to be Hall of Famers and all were in their prime with Steph Curry. I would consider them to be stars.

Steph Curry is very good, he just cannot carry a team.

Deuce and HP3 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

At his best he could carry a good team for half a season.

Because of his ankle and injuries he cannot carry it for a whole season.

He cannot carry a mediocre team. FIFY.

He is a good playmaker but not an All time great playmaker he needed to be. Just an elite floor spacer.

Points arguable.

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

All the damn time. Did you miss the majority of Dream’s career pre the early 90s? A superstar is supposed to be able to make the playoffs even if surrounded by garbage, which Curry most certainly is not. Again, superstar type players are expected to make the playoffs even if surrounded by garbage. Stars can drag garbage to the playoffs. Your excuses for Curry don’t matter. He’s just not good enough to carry a superstar load unless he has a lot of help.

#1749 Icehouse, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.
  10. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

klay is an allstar every year hes healthy. Draymond was an allstar and dpoy. Yet even then they still choked in the finals and could only beat the cavs the year prior with kyrie and love injured

Even the role players on that team were all time great. He had barbosa, livingston and iguodala coming off the bench to clean up if they ever fell behind while other teams stars would have to play 45 mins just to keep up

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Before KD. And I don't really care about the carrying a team thing.

I used to think that the Warriors were an extremely stacked team even before Durant joined. But when I looked at their roster again, I realized that they were not really that stacked. besides Curry, Klay and Draymond were the only players you can call stars (and yes, probably in the HoF someday). But you can't compare them to some superstars LeBron, Harden, and Kawhi have played with. I just don't think you can say that Curry was "surrounded by stars" before they had KD. Yet they won a championship and broke a regular season winning record.

J.R. and B-Bob like this.
  12. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

superstars make their teammates look good. This does not seem to be the case for steph curry

Check out some of the teams lebron or harden have dragged to the playoffs in recent years

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I never said they were not a great team. I am saying that "surrounded by stars" is an exaggeration before KD joined them.

Oh, now Barbosa and Livingston are suddenly "all time great"? Talk about exaggeration!

And for the record, I am no Curry fan and I HATE the Warriors.

hakeem94 and J.R. like this.
  14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Morey always tried to build rosters to maximize Harden's strengths. In your opinion, which of Harden's supporting casts were inferior to the current GSW supporting cast?

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I agree with you. That great pre-KD Warriors squad had some very high-value folks like Iggy and Livingston playing just the right amount of high-quality minutes. I hated them but they really did have a team in the long-distant traditional sense that we don't really see that much anymore. Cornbread Maxwells, Vinnie the Microwave, and those sorts of guys doing major things for championship squads.

jiggyfly and Easy like this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Andre Igudola won Sixth man of the year. They had the best bench in the league during their 73 win season. You are misremembering how great those teams were. Klat and Draymond are both going to be HOF the end. This is nonsense.

Icehouse likes this.
  17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Terrible logic. He's unable to carry a team with a poor supporting cast (like now). It's a huge stretch to say that he needs a lot of help to carry a team.

Honestly, what you fail to understand is that the Warriors have a poor supporting cast. You need to get over the names and look at their actual production (or lack thereof).

18. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Nobody complained about the construction of that warriors team until kd. Even though they had 3 all stars already

How many teams can you name that had a better bench than those warriors then?

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

No he didn't.

20. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Harden was starting games alongside tarik black and pablo prigioni

hakeem94 and Icehouse like this.