1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

funny the same guys who kept on ******** on harden's efficiency and deficiencies in Houston now admitting efficiency depends on having multiple stars around you

fckbandwagons likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

When did I **** on Harden's scoring effiency? You people love beating up strawmen?

In fact multiple times I've had to explain how Harden is efficent because some ill informed posters would post his raw shooting splits.

My entire complaint with Harden was no flexibility in his game in the playoffs and in general the overall system not being flexible.

So Saith Red and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

I agree that KPJr is more advanced than 20 y/o Harden at those 3 things, but to me, a lot of people come into the league better at those 3 things than Harden when he was 20 or 21

kids are coming into the league these days with stepbacks, side-steps, Euro steps, etc already in their bag

I doubt Harden took a single stepback jumper of any kind until his 3rd season at least

Harden’s rise was meteoric...in his 3rd season at age 22, Harden was clearly All-Star caliber, a top 20 player or top 25 at worst, and made the Olympic Team

so yes, a lot of guys come into the league with a more advanced skillset than rookie Harden, but hardly any of them make that Harden leap so I don’t get into trying to force Harden comparisons for KPJr

saleem likes this.
  4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I'll let you guys debate advanced stats and player comparisons, the eyeball test is still encouraging. His 13 assists snuck up on me last night, well done young man.

KPJ is trying to adapt his role on a veteran team and while he's doing ok, you can tell he's struggling a bit deciding when and when not to shoot, drive and pass. In the G-League he quickly became comfortable in his role, which was playmaker and scorer. He knew his role and owned it. Obviously the competition level was different, but he gained confidence with every game. While he had turnovers, they weren't of the same caliber of the one's he seems to be having now. I don't believe any of this bad, it's just part of the growth process.

Now, we're playing a little Jekyll and Hyde with him. One game he's starting 2 and Wall is the 1. Next game he's the 1 and Wall isn't playing. I think an argument can be made that this approach is beneficial because it forces him to learn to shift between different roles and learn to play with a variety of teammates. I'm hoping that's the outcome.

However, another outcome is that he continues to be tentative in many situations because he's processing his decision versus just playing naturally. I think we all believe the sooner KPJ has one role and isn't being shuffled between 1/2 because John the sooner he'll truly blossom.

If John can continue to look good a few more games and then go get his knee scoped, maybe the last 15 of the season can belong to KPJ. Would love for Stone to find someone that needs Wall this offseason and is willing to bet on him these next two years.

5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

The problem with your last sentence is it's self-defeating. If Wall plays the rest of this season, looks healthy, and performs well, perhaps we could offload him. However, if he gets his knee scoped, I doubt there'll be any interest.

RyanB likes this.
  6. fattz

fattz Member

I don’t know what Porter WANTS to become. His skills are there. Stanley Robert started in front of Shaquille O’Neal because was a better talent with more upside at about this same age. Personal goals and environment have a lot to do with the finished product.

cmlmel77 and DaDakota like this.
  7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I'll disagree. Already been announced he's going to get his knee scoped, yet he dropped 31 and led us to a victory this week. JW still has game, it's just better used in a different situation.

Players get their knees cleaned up more than we realize, he's come back explosive and has looked better than his former backcourt mate (Oladipo) who is now out at least 4 games. Wall's contract will limit our ability to move him more than his health (although it will still be a consideration/factor).

BallaDoc and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

he just lacks an explosive first step.

9. sydmill

sydmill Member

John Wall, if he plays every remaining game for the Rockets, will have missed a quarter of their games. He also is, as of today, shooting his worst fg% and averaging the fewest rebounds and assists of his career. It's hard to fathom a team taking on his contract with $90 million remaining. We are stuck with Wall for next season at least. If scoping the knee allows KPJ to flourish in the remaining games and maybe produces a healthier Wall for next season there is great value there.

10. vlaurelio

and that totally doesn't have anything to do with not having multiple all stars around him??

are you saying Harden's own flexibility is what held back the rockets from getting farther and eventually winning a championship and not the players around him's flexibility?

#190 vlaurelio, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think part of Harden's problem was that he could only play with the ball in his hands, yes.

DD

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

His lack of a quick burst first step limits his upside as a playmaker in the half court. As his shot gets better that could change, but he’s a much better play maker in the open court where he can use his momentum and angles to get downhill on someone.

absolutely love his mid range game. Would like to see Silas look to get him some screens to help him get to his shots more.

still has a lot of muscle to add which will help with his ability to finish through contact instead of just whine for a call.

his ceiling is still very high but it’s going to be about his commitment to improve.

Shark44 and saleem like this.
  13. vlaurelio

he shared the ball cp3 on route to the wcfs right?

14. PatBev

PatBev Member

The kid had 13 assist last night

I think we’ll be alright

fattz and Houston77 like this.
  15. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Idk what he’ll become but he has some tantalizing aspects to his game. The dribble moves are pretty advanced for someone his age. He’s able to get outside the box of his defender and then explode the gap. It’s not that often you get a dynamic dribbler who is not mechanical and take what the defender gives. His finishing at the rim is also very impressive IMO. His efficiency there aside from the last game is pretty substantial. Couple that with a good PNR game and a ridiculous assist:to ratio you have the makings of a pretty nice lead initiator. Now idk if that will translate to primary option but at the very least you have a competent PG or viable 6th man which is a damn good pickup for a second round pick. Everything else he’s showing is gravy. If he couples what he’s already displayed with an improved c&s ability (which I have hope for since his middy game is surprisingly reliable) or improved pull up shooting he’s definitely a cornerstone foundational piece to couple with the future draft picks.

Shark44 and studogg like this.
  16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

KPJs defense hurts my feelings.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Not because he wanted to.

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

In case anyone forgot during the 2017-2018 season Harden was 2nd in time of possession and Chris Paul was 9th. There was zero problem with sharing the ball when there was someone worth sharing it with.

topfive, YOLO and vlaurelio like this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, that was why CP3 left, Harden didn't want to share, or wanted it more often.......he CAN do it, he just CHOOSES not to.......even in Brooklyn, he is now the PG, and Kyrie changed......

Harden is stubborn about wanting to pound that rock.

DD

20. vlaurelio

LOL you don't think everyone from nash down the the last player agrees that the nets are better with harden playing mostly PG and Kyrie mostly SG?

glynch likes this.