1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Until this year...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Badrose, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Badrose

Badrose Member

I'm 53 years old, italian, huge Rockets fan since the Moses Malone era. As italian (who leaves in Italy), you cannot even imagine how hard it was to follow MY ROCKETS back in the 80's (and 90's) without internet. But I did the impossible to watch, listen or read about my favourite sport, NBA, and my favourite team, the Houston Rockets. Always!

Until this year...

During these 4 decades we had highs and lows just like every other team. We moved from being the top during the Olajuwon era to being a mediocre team during the rebuild. But I always saw heart and fire in this team, not only in the players but, most importantly, in the owners, management, coaches. They always had the same thing in their minds, win or bring the Rockets back on top.

Until this year...

What I see this year is a bounch of miserable people who just don't care. I have never seen the Rockets tanking. After b**** James moved elsewhere, this team had some potential even with the injury plague we are currently experiencing. But they just decided to tank in hope to get a "Mr. Nobody" from the Draft and zero players around him. Everyone wanna leaves. The city of Houston was never suitable for big players, the only reason they went there (can't say here since I live in Italy) was because we were always hungry and wanted to win.

Until this year...

After more than 40 years as fan I feel... abandoned. Not because we are having a bad season, but because I don't see any immediate future for MY ROCKETS and the desire to be back at the top. The heart and fire is noway to be seen anymore, the big guys in their office don't say a word about the future. I feel like we are done and dusted for the next decade and maybe more.

The first time I traveled to the U.S. my first destination was the city of Houston exclusively to watch a live Rockets game at The Summit. At home, I always watched almost every single Rockets game since internet made it possible, didn't care if the starting time was 1AM or 4.30AM. I was there.

Until this year...

This year I don't watch games anymore, I don't care because you don't care! I'm not the kind of fan who like players, I love the team, so I will always be a Rockets fan. But damn... This year, after 40 years spent cheering... BOOO you!

Aplogize for my english.

clos4life, napalm06, Blatz and 29 others like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

i read it in a supermario voice.

your post doesn't mention tillmen, prince of darkness, at all. i find it odd.

3. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Previous regimes had translations.
    We never developed a young up and comer

Hakeem --> Francis/yao --> Tmac/Yao --> Harden
    (I know some hard years between Tmac and Harden)

Now we have Wood.
    Now we have KPJ.

Patience.

We have to cut the dead leaves
    In order to grow.

Give it years.

Rocket River

5. juanming

juanming Member

Man, op, WTH???

We do care bout our team..even when we bash it ,it's because we have passion and want changes..

Just just an odd post because I skim through it I didn't read every word but what I read was I love the rockets in the 80s and 90s but not no more because we as fans don't care???

just doesn't make any sense we all care about Kevin Porter we like Kenyon Martin Jr we like Tate we like wood(no pun intended,no homo,ok maybe a lil homo lol)

But anyways just strange I mean we have to lose in order to get a top-four pick to get better I hope you understand that ...

so when we all say we want to lose its because we are looking at the bigger picture of a draft pick come on man but you know about the draft???

D-rock likes this.
  6. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Respect, OP. It is tough.

Love it that you actually managed to get to a game in the Summit!

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It’s the price you pay when you try to beat the Warriors. You end up with the oldest team in the league with a GM the whole time that had strict salary constraints. Here we are with a demolished team.

8. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Ya this team is basically in destruction mode. There really nothing to see here, i mean people here trying to fall in love with sub par dleagers and non draftees trying to make a comeback. Some of these players are straight Euro League eligible. This roster is pure baloney.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Don't ha ha me guy!

SamFisher likes this.
  10. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

I get the frustration, but...holy hell does this sentiment come across as spoiled. Eight straight years of mostly deep contention (which unfortunately resulted in no titles, but a couple of close tries). Again it's frustrating how things with Harden ended, and this year is trash, but the fortunes can literally change overnight if the Rockets land a top-3 pick.

Nothing is guaranteed and it's a total crapshoot if the Rockets even keep their pick, but the current roster + a top prospect makes this team "fun" to watch starting next year, possibly competing in 2-3 years.

Imagine being a Kings or Timberwolves or Knicks or Pistons or Magic fan. Be grateful.

BMoney likes this.
  11. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Right, it's a bad roster...for now. Let's wait and see how the lottery and draft go.

12. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Yeah that's what people seem to forget here. Like...as bad as the current situation is, the end result was not unexpected when Morey & co decided to mortgage the future for a chance to take down the Warriors.

And it almost worked! Most would argue that it DID work in 2018, just got unlucky with the injuries.

All things considered, Stone has done a pretty decent job at at least restocking the cupboard with draft picks. Mid/low first rounders aren't a stellar commodity, but they do provide ammunition for future trades and simply give some flexibility and breathing room to the franchise for past mistakes -- past mistakes made in the name of winning (or trying to).

Besides, it's not like Golden State is competing for a title these days. And their future is kind of up in the air since they will be pressured to trade Wiseman and/or the Minnesota draft pick in order to keep the Curry/Thompson/Green window open a bit further.

Different situations obviously, but if ping pong balls go the right way and Houston drafts and develops well, one could argue the Rockets could be ahead of the rebuild process to get back to competition.

The NBA, and in particular the West is tough, but nothing is easy in life.

peleincubus likes this.
  13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Your English is better than 70.6% of the regulars on this board, so don't apologize.

clos4life, Der Rabbi, CVcrew and 2 others like this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

however, you want to break the %'s down this team has a decent chance at being a 60+ win team in 5 years or so and a title window of several years. so randomly say there is a 30-35% chance at that happening. a middling playoff team 25-30%, or suck pretty bad for the next 7-8 years making the playoffs once or twice as like a 7-8th seed.

Of course, there could be some nuance within any of those categories. and variables like a crappy hamstring injury. I am of the opinion though if a few things go right and the rox GM does a decent job they are set up extremely well. they will need my/our help in rooting for the Nets to start breaking down and sucking hard very soon.

HoustonWest likes this.
  15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

16. kkthksbai

kkthksbai Member

Team was down 23 fought back to within 4? No fight at all.

17. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

How'd you come up with those percentages? The Houston Rockets have been a 60 win team literally one time in the history of the franchise. 2018 that's it. None of the Hakeem teams were 60 win teams. 65 wins is hallowed ground.

ico4498 likes this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Maybe I should have stretched that out to 10 years they could have a season or two winning 60+ games. And lowered the % a bit too. But with the amount of assets the rockets have you have a certain percentage that you could fill out a great team. There is a better chance that there are a bunch of busts there though. Keeping the pick this off-season increases the chances obviously by a good amount. Trading Wood with a a few picks would help toooo

19. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Once again though, not even Hakeem managed 60 wins. Not even once. Harden only did it the year with CP3. Lebron only has 3. So unless you think we're getting 2 top 30 all time players in the next few drafts, that might be a bit too much to expect. Most championship teams don't even have 60 win seasons.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I looked up how many there have been in nba history 62 total from inception until 2010. From then until this season there have been 20 if you include 3-4 that had a winning % from a non 82 game season.

So perhaps it is more like a 3-4% chance haha.

Regardless I am hoping that about 15 months from now the Rockets have 5-6 young players that have a promising future. With then upcoming cap space and a few top 8 picks from the Nets in the future.