1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

Back then, the Rox had a lot of interest in Leonard. He was known as a great athlete, defender and can run the floor. But was lacking in shooting department. He developed quickly and had more high end in the NBA that most teams expected. He was a hard worker and underestimated.

saleem and cheke64 like this.
  2. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Cade isn’t anything like Kwahi other than being similar in height. For one, he doesn’t play with the same tenacity on defense and he isn’t nearly as strong. While Cunningham is a decent shooter with the ball in his hands, he’s actually not a very good spot up shooter. That means he needs the ball in his hands to be affective, which begs the question of who would run the team, Cunningham or KPJ.

palmsnbananas likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Cade Cunningham shot 43.9% on catch and shoots

Denovo, 18pbr, raining threes and 2 others like this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

... But is he cunning?

I don't want to waste the #1 pick on a ham.

raining threes and Jontro like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

a scout’s take on Cade Cunningham

"Don't make this complicated. Cade is special," said the scout. "His IQ, playmaking, vision, positional size, three-level scoring ability, efficiency, consistency and crafty creativity is what separates him. What he did with Oklahoma State is what I love most. He never shut it down and stayed committed to his teammates. He is what you want in a No. 1 pick."

Further, the scout added, Cunningham's selfless style of play is a draw teams have naturally gravitated towards. He never gets too high or too low and can be a fit for any NBA team because of the variety of things he's capable of doing at a high level.

"He carries himself and plays the right way," said the scout. "Players are going to love playing with this kid.”

"Cade is a home run," said the scout. "I've seen all I've needed to see."

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

so many potential assists, but his teammates sucked

raining threes and Shark44 like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Cade Cunningham
    Greg Brown
    Bones Hyland

Those are my 3 draft picks.

18pbr and raining threes like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Love Kai Jones, but do not think he drops to 22nd pick.

At 6'11, his ability to switch and stick with guards is off the charts good.

Corrosion, peleincubus and saleem like this.
  9. ball king23

ball king23 Member

mid round steals in 2021 draft anybody got guess for houston

saleem likes this.
  10. csc177

csc177 Member

You say all that to say what? Who’s YOUR guy? There’s no sure pick / every 19 yr old has flaws. You can find a game and nitpick each and every top 5 projected pick.

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

This is true.

I pointed out DaVion Mitchell looked better than Suggs in the finals so, a team could move back and get just as good a player in
    Mitchell or other PG.

While also chipping away at this dumb notion that Evan Mobley can guard 5 positions in the NBA. That's
    an insult to NBA level talent. I draft Mobley to guard shooting guards and small forwards but don't count
    on him guarding power forwars as his so called title suggests, "Center."

Thamba is projected as a 6'8" power forward and he made Timme look slow and grounded. USC was scared to let
    a quicker taller Mobley position the middle? At least Suggs guarded a taller Johnny
    Juzang. Nevermind Juzang got 27 points in regulation. I like Juzang. DaVion Mitchell took on the
    challenge of guarding Suggs point blank. Guard guarding their so-called counter position. Mobley
    can't guard centers? His so-called counter position? Before you say they protect Isaiah Mobley on
    the perimeter, Isaiah moves around just fine on the perimeter and the guard Smith can hold
    his own too......most USC players are just fine in man to man. If we draft Evan Mobley does Isaiah come
    with him to do all his dirty work? I know his daddy is gonna come up to the next level and hold his hand.

It is true each player has warts........but some are proper up to be contenders while others are propped up to be
    pretenders. I'll take Cade or Green
    with their flaws over a so-called center. I'm fine with drafting Mobley as a small forward, but let's start calling him a
    small forward. That mean
    drafting him with intent on moving Tate, House, KMj jr to the back of the line as Mobley starts. Or it's a big fail.

#871 ApacheWarrior, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Suggs played football and basketball all his life, he was the star qb. His work ethic is there but now he will get to focus on basketball only. Dude ain't a bust.

My top 3 is Cade, Suggs and Green

raining threes and thekad like this.
  13. TimDuncanDonaut

Agent Zero zooming in almost empty room with natural lighting and GameOfThrone type chair.

14. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I had a change in of heart in my hopeful draft rankings. Evan Mobley should he decide to come out is my number 1. That hasn't changed. Cade use to be my number 2 option and that has change. I think would like to see the Rocket go with Scottie Barnes over Cade if the opportunity presents itself. A 6,9 wing with a 7'2 inch wing span who has the ability to create his own shot and shoot the three. All these things are very desirable for a wing in todays NBA.

I think talent wise they are similar but measurables wise I give Barnes the edge.

15. csc177

csc177 Member

A 7ft small forward? You wouldn’t last very long as a GM. Mobley is a big man (4/5) and will develop into an NBA version of one. The team that drafts him will no this and have to bank on that happening. Out of the gate he’ll be effective at blocking shots and catching lobs.

...no argument on the Cade take obviously. Not sold on Green being a guy you tank for - but if he’s the only option yes I take him too.

16. raining threes

Young Robert Horry

I would do whatever it takes to trade into the top 10 to get this guy. If they somehow came out of this draft with Cunningham/Jones I would be very happy. Even if it meant having to move Wood to get Jones.

17. fattz

fattz Member

IMO, Daishon Nix over Hyland. I think Nix is a “utility glue type” pass first triple double waiting to happen. Coming up from the G league is a plus for him, too. Don’t know if he is point or not in the NBA but he is different kind of player that make others around him better.

You think Greg Brown is the next Aaron Gordon? He is compared to him, but Gordon was a beast on the defensive end in school. I think that is what separates them the most.

We should get a nice pick of players if things stay the same. As you know a lot can happen before the draft starts.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

I actually see Greg Brown as a 6'8 KJ Martin.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Rockets end up with 4th pick and Cade, Mobley, Green off the table then I would trade down slightly for a 2020 pick. Suggs should be very attractive to teams.

But stay in top 10 and draft Scottie Barnes, Jalen Johnson or Kai Jones.

A 3-D forward taller than 6'7 who can also play the point is essential for Rockets to take next step.

Having 3 ball handlers who are 3 level offensive threats and at least 2 3ball snipers on floor at all time is critical to unlock 5 Out Offense.

We see that with Harden-KD-Kyrie-Harris-Aldridge Nets and we are seeing that now with Jokic-Murray-MPJ-AG Nuggets.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

In any other year and in any other rebuild D-rock. You know I was high on Mamadi Diakite last season. He is getting 2.4 points and a
    few rebounds per game.

So if the the idea is to fill up the roster with 3 to 4 year projects then yeah let's pick up these projects. I say Bassey fits the Silas system and is
    just a season away from contributing. In the season Porter and Wood are due to be expiring contracts. Tate is a 6'4" power forward and still
    raw. House is a dunce missing in action fool. KM jr doesn't shot well from distance and is a 6'6"? power forward?.
    But yeah let's add, Cade or Green or Mobley or Suggs (to sit behind Wall/Augustin/Porter for touches) plus Barnes, Kai.

Say bye bye to Porter-Wood as they say the Rockets never gave them talent around them. Just potential 3-4 year projects occupying space
    that blocks vets or buyouts. What do I know, I just said Kelly Olynyk was perfect for the Silas system and nailed that. Doesn't mean Olynyk
    is perfect. But bringing in a shot blocker like Bassey goes a long way to solidifying things.

But Thank you for your service to Clutchfans my friend, take care.

As Jerry Glanville once said while coaching the Houston Oilers, "Potential gets coaches fired."
    6 players so raw on next year's squad occupying a 12-man roster spells 56 losses easy in an 82 game season.
    Bye bye Silas.

#880 ApacheWarrior, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    D-rock and fattz like this.