1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

EuroVision 7 out of 10.

DD

GRENDEL likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had never seen Walk Hard and it's been on my list forever. rented it on amazon last night and had a blast watching it. laugh out loud funny. It helps that I know the movie Walk the Line pretty well, but couldn't believe the number of people who made cameos in it. And just the right amount of satire, Apatow and company hit all the right notes on this one. easily 9/10

3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Underrated movie, watched it again recently and still cracked up throughout most of the movie....

Buck Turgidson and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

rented Black Robe on amazon last night. Jesuit priest trying to convert the Hurons to Christianity in the 1600s. Really well done, hard to describe. The film has apparently been praised as depicting Native Americans more accurately than just about any movie. 8/10

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just finished this Swedish foreign film on Amazon Prime. It's got drama, dark humor, sadness, heartfelt moments, and a good story. I'd give it an 8.5 of 10. You do have to read subtitles if you don't speak Swedish.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

7. PhiSlammaJamma

I am thinking about giving Vanilla Sky another try, but it may bee too late. I did not get it the first time.

8. KingCheetah

Elite Penelope Cruz... I watched it recently and liked it -- good not great definitely a trip.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  9. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

haha i once went through looking for high audience skews. they're missing some good ones, for instance...

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Penelope Cruz is definitely elite... Sahara is another good showcase.

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Saw Voyagers yesterday, set up and overall premise is solid but a bland cast with a plot that's pretty much Lord of Flies in space.....

C

12. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Me either but it probably didn't help that I was high

13. KingCheetah

I always got Magnolia confused with Vanilla Sky -- a lot of strange Tom Cruise movies around 2000 (I thought Magnolia was terrible btw).

14. Aware

Aware Member

watch the original spanish version

younger penelope cruz

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

rewatched Malcolm X for the first time since it came out--had to spread it out over a couple of nights though. It really holds up well, although I can see some point behind some of the critics who argued Spike Lee followed a fairly predictable structure in putting it together. that said, the period elements of it are fantastic, and Denzel Washington is fantastic (still). easily a 9/10, really holds up and still powerful. on HBO Max

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I picked 3 movies to watch on Netflix lately. Must be a bad week for picking movies with happy endings. I wouldn't call any of them great, but pretty good. I'd give all three 7.8 of 10. I definitely liked A Man Called Ove better than all three of these.

Into the Wild
    Our Souls at Night
    Concrete Cowboy.

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

watched The Sand Pebbles last night on HBO Max and really enjoyed it. 1966 Steve McQueen film, McQueen picked up his only Oscar nomination for this role. He plays a ship's engineer in the 1920s on a US gunship patrolling Chinese waters. Didn't know much about the history of this period of time, nor anything about the film itself. Held up pretty well given when it was made, just a tiny bit lacking overall in the character development department, but that's common I think of movies from the 60s. Sort of McQueen acting likeMcQueen, but he was good. Richard Attenborough is in it as well. Three hours long, didn't feel overly long. Mostly filmed on board a replica of the ship that was built for the film. 8/10, worth watching.

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Into the Wild was quite good. Based on Jon Krakauer's book. Sad, but well done. I also saw Concrete Cowboy... and thought the good parts (Idris Elba, Lorraine Toussaint) outweighed the bad parts (Caleb McLaughlin).

FrontRunner likes this.
  19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Yeah, they were all good, and if I ranked them Into the Wild was my favorite, but yes, a very sad story. Concrete Cowboy was my least favorite. It was good, but I liked the acting and scenery better in the other two. Just a preference really. I did like the story of Concrete Cowboy. I found it interesting, and enjoyed the interviews at the end of the real Fletcher Street cowboys.

20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I watched a documentary last night called Cannibal Island on Amazon Prime. Boy, Stalin was one sick ruler. What a horrifying story of the treatment of immigrants, rounding up of innocent people, and shipping them off to remote locations. The barbaric cannibalism was horrifying. Kind of slow, but really interesting.

jiggyfly likes this.