1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WOOD: PF versus Center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Feb 22, 2021.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Personally... I think Wood should mainly play the 4 - with periods of him at the 5 if we go uptempo and smaller.

He's just doesnt have enough meat on him to defend many 5s - like CC getting manhandled down low. With some 5s he's fine - but we need another option when he aint...

Additionally, I think his greatest attribute could be on the help defense... Let a bigger bulkier guy be the one between the opposing player and the basket - and let CWood fly in from behind for the block after the scorer has had to adjust...

Thats what I envisioned pairing him with Boogie... I figured 10-15 mins w Boogie at 5 and Wood at 4 with more halfcourt sets... then sit Boogie and let CWood be the 5 for some more uptempo minutes... then bring back Boogie when Wood sits...
    Obviously, that would all be predicated upon the front court we were facing on any given night...
    With Boogie leaving its moot - but still how I would look to supplement our front court...

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wood is a 5 and he improved a lot since vid below from game in early Jan.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Revisiting

Rocket River

4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Someone take his gatorade bottle and fill it up with bacon grease. He needs to be hanging with Charles Barkley!

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

YAY! 46 wins and into the play-in game.

Don't get me wrong - trading Paul for Westbrick was awful. I'd much rather have Paul and those picks back than have Wall. But either way, you're looking at a horrid contract that you're waiting out. Hey - at least Paul could have been sent to PHX!!

I'm happy without Allen. No way I'm paying him 100mill. I'd prefer KPJ - much better talent, and the Allen trade caused the blow-up and made us a destination.

Back on topic:
    Wood at the 4? Sure, but you need a skilled 5 who can play inside and out. The Olynyk combo is working ok. I'm hoping we get a top 4 pick and Mobley - there's a defensive minded skillful big who would fit alongside Wood (and make a nice rotation if we keep Olynyk). Tate at the 3 balances those guys out a little bit.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why did we never try playing Cousins and Wood together?
    Patton and Wood together

until Olynyk we never played Wood with another big . .. why is that?

Rocket River

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  7. HROZ

HROZ Member

Think he's athletic enough to play both

But it's obvious his athleticism helps him beat C's a lot easier.

Though I do think there's something in having a C who can take all the banging in the post so we save Wood for the playoffs

What GSW did with Green & Lakers do with Davis.

Davis pretty much played PF in the regular season. Then the playoffs McGee fell out the rotation & Dwight did too for any team without Jokic.

wolstein likes this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Patton sucks.

Cousins could not move. Have you seen Kelly out there, he moves his feet pretty well and Rockets don't have to go to a drop coverage like they did with Boogie.

9. DonatelloLimestone

Woods is having his first year as a featured player . He is showing all the right mentality to be hungry for it. I think people overlook depth. even if we get a C and stagger their minutes, if they guy is playing 12-15 minutes that is an entire quarter of plus/minus. Woods is ideally a 5 who can strech the floor, block shots, and hopefully we can continue to work on his ability to switch. More versatility and depth is always good depending on the matchups. But at this point, we just want to consolidate talent and continue their development trajectory which is looking real good. He is one of the best contracts in the nba.

We need more talent, right now woods has only played with border line d-league level bigs in patton and cousins(post surgery)

chadyang and don grahamleone like this.
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And still the 5.

D-rock likes this.
  11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I like him better at the 5, but I’m starting to think that he’s too fragile to play inside like that all the time. I didn’t think he would make a good 4, but he’s looked pretty good in that role. I think having Olynyk helps him a lot too. They’re just a much better team having some size like that out there instead of the ridiculous small ball they were playing earlier.

Rocket River likes this.
  12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Olynyk is an actual NBA player with skills. The other two not so much.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The designation of PF and Center really only applies to the defensive side of the ball. If we were to get Mobley then he will be our defensive center when they are both in the game. In today’s NBA Center and PF are interchangeable on offense.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Because he has a bigger advantage offensively as a 5 pulling bigs out to the perimeter. But he struggles against bigger stronger centers. I am digging the 4/5 combo lineup with Olynk. Allows them to do different things and find more good matchups.

D-rock likes this.
  15. ballgame

ballgame Member

I disagree, Cousins is just as skilled as Olynk. I think Silas miss used Cousins, they disagreed how he was being used, so he asked to be released.

The best coach is one who ADJUST and not persist on doing things his way. I think he see his mistake now, HOPEFULLY and play Wood and Olynk together more.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Nah, Boogie wanted to get more shots and touches out there. He initially agreed to come of the bench and be a backup, then he wanted more. He is not close to his old self, makes a play here and there, but KO makes more plays consistently and is not a head case to deal with. It was time for Boogie to move on.

jordnnnn likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Probably should move him to small forward.

18. ballgame

ballgame Member

I agree, Boogie has lost a step but the question was, is Wood better as a C or a PF. I say a PF. He needs to play with a player who can spread the floor, rebound and who can bang with bigger players. Woods remind me of a modern day Ralph Sampson, in the sense that he can offer some low post ability but he's more effective on rolling and away from the basket.

Also, I think by playing with a Olynk type player, he can extend his career, rather than having him bang down low for 82 games a yr.

#58 ballgame, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  19. RoyalGuard

RoyalGuard Member

Wood needs to play 4 period. Only time he should play a 5 is small ball for a few minutes or against small ball line ups. He’s to weak to go up against the big dogs in the west at this point. (Drummond, Gobert, Adams, Ayton, The Joker, to name a few.) Kelly is a must or a Kelly type size to start along with wood.

20. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

The question to me is: can Wood stay healthy at 5? He takes a pounding when he has to cover guys much bigger than him. Yes, there's a mismatch for him on offense, but on defense he gets manhandled and struggles to get rebounds in the middle.

For his longevity, I'd love to see him used like Giannis at the 4.

Rocket River likes this.