1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tony buzbee filing lawsuit against Deshaun Watson? Hints at mistreating women

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 16, 2021.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I think you're arguing with the benefit of hindsight that Watson and counsel didn't have. Buzbee made a settlement demand on one case when he knew he had at least four petitions ready to go. He very likely could have raised the settlement figure for each case ("$100K was for the last plaintiff, what you did to THIS plaintiff is worth at least $200K," and so on as the blackmail continues). That number has now grown to 20+. Who knows at that time whether Buzbee knew the real number of plaintiffs (or the other women saw the lawsuits filed and wanted to get in line for a payday). I don't think any of these plaintiffs would come close to getting a $100K verdict but that's just my opinion.

@Nook 100% agree with you on ego. If he would've settled the first case for $100K he would've pocketed around $30K -- chump change for him. The media and national attention he's gotten from this is worth way more to him. The only thing I question is how he had four women lined up from the jump -- are we to believe that these four women each independently reached out to his office to represent them without knowing about the others? Or did they know each other and refer one another? I give the Texans the benefit of the doubt that they aren't behind this (but if they were, McNair has to be forced to sell the team), but that part seems a little strange to me.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

“We have said this before and we want to say it again: Deshaun did not force, coerce or intimidate anyone to do anything against their will. When we asked Mr. Buzbee to identify his clients weeks ago, he refused and told us to file a motion. Today we filed that motion. As discussed in our filing, Mr. Buzbee’s use of anonymous lawsuits violates Texas law and the basic concept of fairness. It is clear that, for Mr. Buzbee, this case has never been about seeking justice in a courtroom, but destroying Deshaun’s reputation to enhance his own public profile and enrich himself. While I understand that anonymity often is used as a shield for victims, Mr. Buzbee is using it as a sword. While shielding his clients from public scrutiny, Mr. Buzbee continues to use their anonymous allegations to destroy Mr. Watson. This is simply not right. And we look forward to resolving these matters in court.” — Rusty Hardin

https://www.outkick.com/deshaun-watsons-lawyer-files-special-exception/

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Now the clock has started.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Statement from Hardin is good. He should have left out protection from public scrutiny for the accusers.
    Sounds too much like victim blaming.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Very good statement. Basically calls Buzbe a scumbag, which he is coming across as.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was forced to leave open the notion that consensual sex happened at these sessions. Watson doesn't come out of this unscathed. He's trolling for sex under the guise of massage. Watson can forget major endorsements.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again though, can't he pretty much figure out who the victims are by looking at who Watson hired? We know it wasn't the 18 that came forward saying Watson didn't assault them, are there really so many potential victims to where you can't isolate the remaining 22...even when given dates?

This is all about wanting to attack the victims publicly. They know exactly who each and every one of them are.

8. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

You got me.

bobrek likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

I am not really impressed.... but I am biased because of my profession.

To me it is more telling that Hardin essentially admitted that non massage engagements occurred between Watson and at least one of these women. That is very interesting and leads me to believe that there must be some evidence of sexual contact for Hardin to take that tact.

I haven't been really all that impressed with Hardin so far, but he does his best work in the courtroom so it is hard to say.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

I think that ship sailed long ago.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. Major

Major Member

Why is it strange or curious that she might have more friends on her personal IG than her work one? How many people follow their massage therapists on Instagram? How many people follow their friends? I would think most people's personal profiles are more popular than business ones. You seem really stuck on trying to push a narrative that you either want to believe or you've convinced yourself of.

jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sorry if I forgot it... since it came out 2 months ago. His sponsors apparently have forgotten it too.

Just like Hardin releasing the names of more women vouching for him doesn't hurt him (despite showing he has an abnormal affinity for 20+ massage therapists)... him giving interviews or his team continuing to refute all claims (not just some) wouldn't hurt his case either. Unless there's truth to these claims.

13. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Oh I agree. Hardin just got around to christening the ship.

14. Major

Major Member

This just seems like both lawyers playing media games. Buzbee outed the names of one of his more credible clients. Hardin only actually filed to out one name - so presumably he's going after one of the less credible clients.

15. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Buzbee outed 2 names. The second allegedly oiled up Watson's ******* and kept on going.
    Hardin already has his hands full with the Pecan Park Raid case, if it's true that the HPD officer shot Dennis Tuttle in the back while he was lying on the ground. This has been alleged by a former NCIS investigator working on behalf of Tuttle's wife's family. That's a high profile case that he won't wanna lose either.

16. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Being a creep definitely doesn't make you civilly liable Mr.Watson, but it does make people more likely to believe you are guilty.

As for the legit way to scare into settlement, I think it's viable because if he believes a jury won't believe his side of the story, then It could very well cause him to think about just "cutting his losses now".

As for the poll I'm using, it's just based on what I've seen across social media and all streaming sites, I've constructed an algorithm based on the name Deshaun Watson and automatically tallied people's favorable or unfavorable view based on different words used like "creep", "wow" "butthole" or "anus". And can conclude that roughly 74% of Houstonians believe he's guilty.

#1976 primtim24, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    RunninRaven likes this.
  17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Watson camp is what you get when you hire chumps in it for fame..they have zero reference point easy to sign a max player and collect..now when push comes to shove they are shown to be the joke they are

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What?

Why the venom I was just stating that he had done so.

Yeesh.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

?????.

Are you talking about Rusty Hardin?

20. PhiSlammaJamma

If you are a juror, how are you going to trust the witnesses if they slept with their customers. They won't. It's the same as lying to the police about what happened and expecting the jurors to dig out the true story about what happened. They won't care. Your credibility is crushed. That's how jurors minds work.

#1980 PhiSlammaJamma, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Pistol Pete likes this.