1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben DuBose: Fertitta’s goal is limiting the “bad years” to one or two seasons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by csnerd84, Mar 31, 2021.

1. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Don't worry, Yule C.

2. thekad

thekad Member

Don’t scare us like that J.R.

Have no faith Broke Fertitta won’t force a #1pick for Beal trade, but I don’t think Stone is that stupid.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tilman Fertitta hates to lose but takes long view in Rockets' rebuild

“You’ve got to understand, Daryl (Morey) did everything he could to win a championship in those four or five years and it just kind of takes the air out of a franchise because you gave up everything,” Fertitta said Saturday. “Everybody knew that the run was over. … It happened to Boston, it happened to (Los Angeles), it happened to Dallas, it happened to Miami. This is what happens.”

“It’s really, really hard because I am competitive and I hate to lose,” Fertitta said. “But my people, including Tad (Brown) and (Rafael Stone) and even my son Patrick, just (say) the biggest mistake you can make right now is use all these picks to be a .500 club, because you’re never able to be a championship caliber club. But I hate losing so much I’m totally staying out of it, because I’m scared that I can make the wrong decisions. I want to win today. I just have to (stay out of it) because they’re right and they just gave me examples and examples.”

[...]

“You’ve got to remember on Kevin Porter, he’s 20 years old,” Fertitta said. “None of your superstars are great at 20. Go back and look at James Harden at 20.”

[...]

The Rockets will never replace “Run it Back” with “We’re Rebuilding!” But Fertitta was honest and direct when discussing what his much-changed team faces in the years to come.

“Are we going to be a championship team next year? No, we are not, OK? And I don’t even know that we’ll challenge for the playoffs next year,” Fertitta said. “This is what they’re telling me. We can’t be stupid … and sometimes you’ve got to bide your time.”

[...]

“You have to be patient and you have to make good decisions,” Fertitta said. “You just have to make good decisions.”

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

LMAO at TF.

"You just have to make good decisions" replacing "shut up and listen!" now?

Hilarious.

NIKEstrad, Bo6, snowconeman22 and 8 others like this.
  5. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Tilman has to know the whole city of Houston laughs at his incompetence. The whole "I stay out of it" bullshit is a lie. What a joke of an owner

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We'll see going forward if he can practice what he just preached. No more Westbrooks, please.

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

He won't he will be firing everyone in the near future.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Ferntits will sell in a year or two?

Can we get the commish to take over team?

Basketball Reasons...hell ****ing yeah!!!

D-rock, HP3 and Jontro like this.
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rockets would still be competing for championships if this line of thinking was used in 2019, not the disastrous short-sighted decision making we saw instead.

Bo6, slothy420, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

For the record once again, this is year 3 of his bad. Decades more to go.

D-rock, clos4life, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, dummy bought a team primed for a cap crunch while contending but was so indebted he watered down cap flexibility that made Murray legendary (cash for SRP, unexpired trade exceptions, pocketing players in dleague as reserves over putting them all into prime time to save on 1yr FA contracts).

He didn't want to pay lux tax one time. With what murry or even stone could do, there's no way they wouldve triggered repeater tax... they'd just sabotage their standings one year early.

It's his team, but it's our choice to eat his stream of bullshit to cover up his failures.

#211 Invisible Fan, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    darksoul35, Bo6, J Sizzle and 5 others like this.
  12. CCorn

CCorn Member

Dumbass wasn’t trying to win when we had the best roster in the NBA. No one believes your bullshit. Go con some investors into another stupid blank check venture. Maybe y’all can buy KMart.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Honestly, even if he's lying, I am glad to see Tillman at least saying the right thing. Now we at least know that he KNOWS he should stay the hell out of it. We just have to see if he'll actually do it.

sydmill, Scarface, Corrosion and 5 others like this.
  14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

rebranding the culture -> limiting bad years- > whats the next bs tilman will sht out of his mouth next

15. DonatelloLimestone

-Buys team, plasters his face prominently all over the arena, any other owners do this? The lack of self awareness force is strong with this one

-Continues to say he will do whatever it takes to win a title while trading assets, ignoring assets, cutting actual playing players while we're in contention window. Imagine you're harden, best most productive employee and your owner says now is the time to go all in work extra hard, all hands on deck, and then one night you come and ariza is replaced with james ennis, james ennis traded for a top 55 protected 2nd round mid season, that locker goes unreplaced, Daniel house in the rotation, gets cut until its tax friendly, basically hes screaming shut up and work harder with less talent.

2018: Chases away Bzdelik, our associate head coach who like many seem to want to spend more time with family after working for him, then after we start bad tillman says he convinced him to come back(er finally paid market value), he left next year to the pelicans.

After 2019 playoff loss: He's going to teach Chris Paul a killer instinct culture

2019: Volunteers once again to bring negotiations with MDA to the press, lies about the offer misrepresents to where MDA's agent had to call espn to clarify this was not the actual offer, ESpn noted this was almost unheard of the owner to do through the press

-Texas monthly interview 2020: tells the writer to write down that he'll survive the pandemic, and do it without government assistance. he wasn't asked, he volunteered and told the writer to write this down

-Summer 2020: Asks donald trump, once again on video and transcript is available.. To reclassify loans for him so he doesn't get the bad PR. Sec Munchin tells him those are actually meant for small businesses, awkward pause

-Not to mention if you go back and see his history with contractors, the dude bought white tigers to the middle of our downtown then went to court for almost a decade refusing to build them any access...to the sun or outside or space....white tigers in downtown, then depress them and fight it in court...

His history of actions and his history of saying 'the right thing' and then being full of **** is not promising.

I can only hope that there is some emotional value to the rockets and he learns the city is turning on him and learns from his mistakes, this is not the same league as it was 10-20 years ago, its a billionaire league and revenues are soaring since then, nba economics says pay or be mediocre and i hope he wants to win, just not profitable. He is big on his brand, volunteers to be the face all the time, if we all chip in for a billboard maybe helll get the idea, right now he punted and he can save all he wants as he didn't when it counted, next time we'll just hope.

RedIsen likes this.
  16. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

It's all in the way you look at it. It's an absolute tragedy if we are witnessing a guy throw away the Houston Rockets, which we are.

But I don't really see the glass as half full or half empty. I just see a really broken glass.

Reeko, topfive, YOLO and 3 others like this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Can we get Patrick Fertitta to make the same vow?

It's obvious why Morey, D'Antoni, T Brown wanted out.....,.fix it

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im kinda hung up on the "Or two" part.

19. Landry's Tooth

Not saying Fertitta deserves some criticism, but he makes more money if they are winning...

20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

isn't his son one of the main reasons we traded for westbrook? glad we're listening to that guy