1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Torn n Frayed, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I watched this again in 4k and I appreciated Love's character more. There's hidden depth if you don't write her off as evil or insane

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Finally watched this weekend. It slipped off my radar and saw it pop up on HBO.

Excellent sci-fi movie, great acting and cinematography. Villeneuve really nailed Scott's style and mood for the original. I liked the story, too.

It really made me want to see an expansion of this universe. Earth is dying and people are in space, but if it keeps the overall tone of the movies I would love to see more sequels or a series.

Invisible Fan and Buck Turgidson like this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I hope it was in 4K with Dolby Atmos on an OLED. HBO MAX now has 4K, but they're stingy with it.

Xerobull likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Nope, 1978 Zenith wood console.

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Wont happen. This was a box office flop compared to its budget and projection. Really a shame too.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I rewatched recently on HBO Max as well and confirmed my initial reaction to this movie. It is a masterpiece and I think Villenueve is absolutely the right person to try a hand at the Dune universe. So excited for that movie. I know the original Blade Runner is seen as a classic Sci-Fi and a near perfect movie by some...I still think 2049 was better. I get a lot of raised eyebrows when I say that but every time I rewatch them I come to the same conclusion.

J Sizzle and Buck Turgidson like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

It may have been my mood the first time I saw it (not in theater, which I regret), but loved it a whole lot more the 2nd and 3rd times. Pretty amazing film, and like was mentioned, really captured the Ridley Scott visual world.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This movie is borderline perfect

9. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I'm going to have to rewatch this. TBH, I felt it was absolutely terrible and that it fell way short of the original on every level--set design, cinematography, script, acting, directing, etc.

Incendies could well be a great film, but the only other mainstream hit of Villenueve's I can recall seeing is Arrival and I hated everything about it but the score. Dune was not an easy watch for me years ago, and it's gonna be even harder today with him directing, if you ask me.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

A few years ago I would agree, but the film industry has been evolving and has changed their model with the Pandemic. I think studios are satisfied with a lower profit margin and spinning off a series is now a proven success with the Star Wars and Marvel shows. Even Ridley Scott is doing premium series.

I wouldn't be surprised either way though. WB (HBO) does own the film rights now.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Scott was already doing premium series before the pandemic- Taboo. And he was working on Raised by Wolves before the whole pandemic thing.

This is probably the best thing going for this idea. The fact that HBO is putting out a lot of premium content currently and has sole right to release it on their app if they so chose to go through with production. Id be all for it.