1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Johnson slams organization

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Jan 12, 2021.

1. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

100% Agree. As much as I love Andre, I think he's kinda piling on too. Because for him to say on offense "All we had was Arian, OD, and himself" Tha't pretty good. An All-Pro WR, RB, plus Pro Bowl TE and QB.... plus a good O-Line, what else did he want on offense?

gatsby likes this.
  2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

yea and if not for Brady maybe they get their SB appearance.

primtim24 likes this.
  3. raining threes

AJ backed the wrong horse when he backed Watson.

Haven't heard much from AJ lately.

gatsby, El_Conquistador and ipaman like this.
  4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Ummm, he was correct wasn't he? They won 2 games the following season

He can be right about the football side of the Watson situation without backing Watson personally. Andre literally talked stepping away from the Texans because of Jack Easterby and it didn't have to do with Watson. It had to do with a champlain making football decisions for a professional football team.

5. raining threes

Good thing that Caserio is making the football decisions now.

6. primtim24

Kinda.

The year I was referring to us being "Disrepected" was 2011 where we won our 1st division behind TJ Yates. Had we had Schaub we were a Super Bowl contender.

We had 2 Pro-Bowlers on offense (Arian Foster and Chris Meyers), not to mention we still had Owen Daniels, Andre, a hurt Schaub, and Duane Brown, just on offense alone.

So the concept of "wasting careers", didn't have help, I just can't buy it.

And yes, the next season is the one he talked about which led up to 11-5 then 2-14. But in 2011, we were a good football team.

7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

**** happens, right? I mean, people supported Trump and he got his head kicked in, presided over 400,000 needless deaths and was impeached twice.

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Andre Johnson looks like a fool after publicly backing Deshaun Watson without knowing all the history of his mistreatment of women. He ruined his standing with the Houston Texans franchise and ownership for that guy? Dumb.

9. ballgame

ballgame Member

TRUE!

10. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

Using your logic.
    • The McNairs look like fools for publicly giving Watson a $150 million contract without knowing all the history of his mistreatment of women. Dumb
    • Texans players look like fools for publicly stating Watson is their leader without knowing all the history of his mistreatment of women. Dumb
    • Dabo Swinney looks like a fool for publicly stating Watson was the next Jordan without knowing all the history of his mistreatment of women. Dumb
    • Texans fans looks like fools for buying Watson jerseys without knowing all the history of his mistreatment of women. Dumb
    • Posters on this forum look like fools for spending so much time discussing Watson without knowing all the history of his mistreatment of women. Dumb
    Hindsight is 20/20. Watson deserves and should get all the ridicule, scorn and if found guilty, jail time he deserves for his actions. But, the peacocking by fans acting like they knew Watson was behaving in this manner or wanting to blast people for not knowing what he was doing is also....dumb.

#190 3Rings, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  11. 3Rings

You didn't hear much from AJ before he criticized Easterby and his point still stands. There is not another NFL team that would take a character coach and make him interim GM or have the control Easterby has over the Texans. Shoot, you would have fired him with O'Brien. So, in one way, you agree with AJ's point about Easterby.

I don't get why fans want players to comment on these lawsuits or this situation. What would you like him to say that would satisfy you or would have any impact on these allegations?

magman likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just cannot imagine a scenario where I'd care what Colts and Titans legend Andre Johnson had to say about anything.

13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

False. The big difference is that Andre Johnson was reacting to Easterby's intervention in Watson's personal life. Watson confided in Johnson so that Johnson would support him in his public relations campaign to smear the Texans. So Johnson had current, inside information on Watson's personal life that was not known to anyone else at the time of the contract signing or the other things that you mention. Huge difference.

14. 3Rings

Were you privy to the conversation(s) between Watson and Johnson? How do you know Johnson had current, inside information on Watson's personal life? Is this fact or you speculating?

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He said the team was too top heavy and he could see a fall coming after the 2011 season, and it did. It was just football analysis from andre (i dont see why anyone would take offense to that). It seemed like he was ready to just move on at that point. 2011 was a legit shot at winning until Schaub was hurt, so I can understand calling it a waste since that was the ONE opportunity.

Who are the greats in this organization to you? Cal and Bob?

You dont like Andre, Nuk, JJ, Arian, Watson (fair enough at this point)

magman likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think you are conflating my appreciation for the quality of a player with me caring what they have to say about anything.

There's no question Andre Johnson is an all time great on the field, same goes for JJ and probably will for Nuk when it's all said and done with. Watson was/is well on his way down that path too, we'll see how it goes from here.

Their ability to play a game does not suggest they have anything intelligent to say however.

With Dre, he's clearly a petty, bitter has-been. It's been the case for years...it's what led him to play for the Colts and Titans long after he ran out of talent.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned like that but I prefer people to merely serve their purpose. I don't care about what my plumber thinks about existentialism...I just want them to fix my broken pipes. I don't care about the political or religious beliefs of my gardener....I just want them to replace the plants that died in the freeze.

Same goes for entertainers.

17. primtim24

Man.... there's a lot of uh...undertones to your post.

But I'll just stick to the bones of it, Andre's opinion on football matters should at least be listened to. He thought we weren't built for the long haul, which is a fair point. But I think between injuries and losing internal motivation, there was a lot that happened after the 2011 season.

jiggyfly and rhino17 like this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Are there? By all means, have the courage to say what you seem to be implying. You'll look like an idiot if you do so, but at least you won't look like a cowardly idiot.

When you have a petty, disgruntled former player, who was so bitter and upset about the way his playing time came to an end with a franchise that he made sure to play for their 2 top rival teams.....what kind of opinion are you expecting them to have?

Now there's no question that BOB came in and completely destroyed the team's momentum, but that doesn't mean listening to people like Andre Johnson when it comes to the Texans is a smart thing to do.

Disgruntled has-beens will always look to take shots no matter if they are fair or not. You just have to ignore people like that.

19. primtim24

That's pretty funny coming from you buddy. I'm not going to derail this thread over your post. I'll get back to the topic.

I'll just say, you sound a little petty/bitter criticizing Andre's knowledge and contribution to the football team. His criticisms of the team/staff from when he was playing were correct, just as I believe that his criticisms from what he saw in 2019 were correct as well. After playing at Miami and ultimately going to Houston, he's played more than long enough to know what a winning team can/should look like, and what one that doesn't looks like.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Your comparison isn’t apt though. What you are saying is you don’t care about a plumbers opinion about pipes.

Andre was
    1) A Pro football player giving his football opinion
    and
    2) Assistant to the general manager, a role he was hired for to give his opinion.

he returned to the organization after retirement so your pettiness argument doesn’t really hold any weight.

and your “shut up and dribble stance” is something I wholly disagree with. But more importantly, completely irrelevant in this circumstance. He was not giving a political or religious opinion. He was giving an opinion in his own field of expertise

primtim24 and 3Rings like this.