1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Baylor is just really, REALLY good. No shame in this season.

That being said, Sampson has to learn how to coach basic offense.

And by basic offense, I mean math.

If you're down by 25 with 12 minutes to go and you're walking it up the court and chucking up 19 footers with 5 seconds left on the shot clock you are doing the basketballs WRONG.

OpportunityCost and sammy like this.
  2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

She’s a screamer, I’ll give her that.

raining threes likes this.
  3. raining threes

Congrats on a great season to the Coogs and their fans.

Go Bears

Should be a great game.

sammy, Sooty and deb4rockets like this.
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

Well. Great Season. Memorable moments. Lived up tp their potential.

The needed to play a perfect game, everyone playing a level above, and they got none of it. Baylor was better, and only Sasser stepped up. It went all wrong, but think the Cougars were the same team they've been all season, so I wouldn't say they collapsed, they just didn't rise to the occasion. Our flaws were on display... weak handles, poor shooting, scoring droughts, and general lack of direction on offense. Those things couldn't rear their head today, they did.

My only real concern is that for three straight years we've had these big scoring droughts. That's on coach if you ask me. We've at times had solid offensive players, but get stifled for long periods of time. As a whole, the team has improved greatly though. We need more horsepower to go the distance. We need to check more boxes.

King1 and seemoreroyals like this.
  5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Ppl said the same for armoni brooks and he left. Hope I’m wrong because he definitely has a nba future.

6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Houston’s offense needs a lot of improvement. They made Baylor look like an elite defense, and statistically Baylor is far from an elite defense.

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

There is always room for improvement, but I am very satisfied with the outcome this year

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

A season/team for the books this year. We'll be losing some guys but the Coogs will be amongst the top 25 again next year. Can't wait to watch their games live with a full atmosphere in the fall

Oh and congrats to Armoni Brooks signing with the Rockets!

9. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even with the rough ending, it was still a great ride. I appreciate all of your posting here. Nice little community.

Poloshirtbandit, King1 and DonnyMost like this.
  10. ballgame

ballgame Member

I think if Caleb Mills would've stayed the course Houston would be playing today.

Also, I think this new Transfer Rule is going to mess up college sports as we know it.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Here we go. Looks like a Gorham/Gresham replacement, as we see how Kiyron develops into the rotation next year as our bigs. I can see him and Fabian as the starting frontcourt with chaney/kiyron with backup minutes

#3811 YOLO, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    GradyMcTracy likes this.
  12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

YOLO likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Nice to get a little size.

Sampson seems to lose a ton of talent at the end of every year. That's kinda just how it goes when you've got a good team. The best players are either battle-hardened seniors or underclassmen freaks who are ready to get paid. I look forward to watching the next step in Mark's game; Sasser, too, hopefully. With Powell, Shead, Walker, etc. coming up there should be plenty talent to look forward to.

seemoreroyals and YOLO like this.
  15. PhiSlammaJamma

Was skeptical that Sasser could elevate against a tight man defense, giving me pause that he could carry the team when needed, but he did pretty well against Baylor, so I'm a little more excited about his potential than was even a game ago. He really stepped up. He has a decent drive and floater game already, but often doesn't finish the bank. Too streaky. His handles are getting better all the time, but he's not elite. He showed real leadership in the Baylor game. Confident to his own demise at times, taking shots away from Grimes for example, but now that he's the leader, it will be fine. Think he can do this, but he will need a side kick.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Carlton obviously looking for playing time. He can get it here. Not sure how dominant he can be, but our conference is generally not 6'11. He will have advantages. If he's motivated we need a guy with a post move.

17. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As a grad transfer, that's one year of immediate eligibility. Is that right?

18. Aware

Aware Member

yea, he doesnt have to sit out.

Seems he had a down year but should compete for the starting role or first big off the bench here

19. ballgame

ballgame Member

Does anybody know of any wing players available that are looking at UH?

20. Poloshirtbandit

I feel less bad about the Coogs loss now.

Buck Turgidson likes this.