1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Harden and his team has looked its best next to cp3 and now kyrie. Teams need multiple ball handlers and playmakers. Also the actual chances of kpj developing into Harden level player is infinitesimal.

Bo6 and Sean Dr34ms like this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Still going Mobley just something about 7 footers who can handle the ball can play inside and out and defend the paint.

And he would take a lot off of woods plate when it comes to rebounding defending the paint and just over all dirty work.

3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hardens are born, not developed.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

I like Mobley a lot, but rebounding is actually a major weakness of his.

Rudyc281 and coachbadlee like this.
  5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Exactly. Seems like the Kelvin Cato effect in full force around here.

The kid has top-tier draft talent but I'm not wrecking my draft board over a lucky shot.

Richie_Rich, Rudyc281 and BigShasta like this.
  6. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Idk guys I'm taking cade, but after doing research on Suggs I like him too. I didn't know that was terrrl Suggs cuzzin. N that he was a 2 sport star. Pedigree is a attribute(means the bright lights don't intimate you) n 2 sports means you have a high iq and athletic. I think doh cade would be a better fit next to kpj since I think Suggs and kpj have alot of overlap. So if u got Suggs I feel one day u would have to move kpj. So it's what ur team building preferences are.

Dirt Road, Rudyc281 and lionaire like this.
  7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Suggs is not doing so well, but Baylor is a pretty good team.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

Them trivial triva facts stay with players forever.

Rudyc281 and Easy like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Cunningham ranked in the 87th percentile this season out of isolation. Compared to recent guards or wings picked in the top five, none was more efficient with at least 50 isolation possessions during their final NCAA season:

• Cade Cunningham, 2020-21: 1.10 isolation points per possession, 87th percentile
    • Trae Young, 2017-18: 1.01, 85th
    • De'Aaron Fox, 2016-17: 0.96, 79th
    • Brandon Ingram, 2015-16: 0.94, 78th
    • De'Andre Hunter, 2018-19: 0.93, 74th
    • Ja Morant, 2018-19: 0.91, 72nd
    • Jayson Tatum, 2016-17: 0.90, 69th
    • Anthony Edwards, 2019-20: 0.89, 72nd
    • Ben Simmons, 2015-16: 0.84, 62nd
    • RJ Barrett, 2018-19: 0.83, 59th
    • Jaylen Brown, 2015-16: 0.68, 34th
    • Markelle Fultz, 2016-17: 0.66, 29th
    Cunningham also led the nation in points in the clutch, per Synergy Sports, as he came alive late to take over numerous tight games.

At 6'8" and with an advanced package of moves for separating into step-backs, pull-ups or drives, Cunningham possesses the body, creation skills and jumper to continue scoring from three levels in the pros. He even shot 16-of-31 out of the post using both hands, while Mobley, a 7-footer, shot just 15-of-39.

He also shot 43.9 percent off the catch, a promising sign for his off-ball scoring that should allow Cunningham to fit with a team that already has an established point guard.

And he possesses special passing instincts that showed more at Montverde Academy, where he was able to focus on facilitating since he was surrounded by projected lottery picks Moses Moody and Scottie Barnes and potential first-rounder Day'Ron Sharpe.

His 3.5 assists per game with Oklahoma State don't accurately reflect Cunningham's playmaking. Teammates spotting up shot only 35.7 percent off of his pick-and-roll passes. The eye test clearly shows special ability tied to his height, vision and IQ.

Skeptics may point to Cunningham's 43.8 percent field-goal mark and 4.0 turnovers per game. And that's fair when discussing a No. 1 pick. But he also registered a 29.1 percent usage rate, combining for 308 isolation, pick-and-roll ball-handling and post-ups possessions in 27 games. He was the lead ball-handler on 70.0 percent of his transition plays.

His workload was monstrous, and his teammates shot just 30.6 percent from three, which affected spacing.

lol at people trying to overthink things...talking about how he lacks athleticism...calling him Wiggins, RJ Barrett, Shaun Livingston, and other nonsense comparisons...talking about fit with KPJr (which shouldn’t even be a thing) like Cade isn’t the most versatile of the top 5 prospects at 6’8 with a 7’1 wingspan plus the skill, shooting, and IQ that would allow him to play multiple positions and fit next to any type of player

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Cade’s teammates sucked...these are finishes
    in the NBA...those are 3 point makes in the NBA if he’s surrounded by shooters

some of those misses by his bigs are straight up embarrassing

if Cade was at Gonzaga, he’d have averaged like 7 apg as a 6’8 freshman...they have finishers and shooters

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Sold.

Let's get the 1st of the draft. Come on basketball Gods don't do us wrong.

12. Mr. Space City

13. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

The kid will also most likely be playing the 3 or 2 or 4 and be a point forward like Lebron. He's not going to be guarding or be guarded by tiny quick college pg's.

Bo6, Richie_Rich and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Cade could’ve averaged more than the 20 ppg he did his freshman season

he averaged almost 14 ppg in the 2nd half...the 1st half he would always let the game come to him and try to get his teammates going, and on occasion, he’d just be in foul trouble so he didn’t play much or had to be more passive...then he’d explode in the 2nd half

in that Big 12 Tournament game against Baylor for example, he scored 20 of his 25 points in the 2nd half

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

that, and people place way too much importance on athleticism...u don’t have to be Russ or have a prime T-Mac first step to kill it in the NBA

Luka gets wherever he wants...Shai Gilgeous-Alexander gets wherever he wants playing in slow motion...hell, even someone like Jrue looks like he’s playing at half speed yet gets to his spots...Paul George is obviously more athletic than Cade, but if u watch him play, he’s not out there blowing by everybody, he plays a skill game

How could Cade not be good in the NBA unless his shooting is just a complete fluke and doesn’t translate to the league?

16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

He will occasionally but I think that's ok...

I was specifically looking for that in the Baylor clips above and he didn't seem too bothered by it. pretty much just getting to his spots and shooting over the shortys.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not Suggs he was far too slow...

DD

tycoonchip, Rudyc281 and BigShasta like this.
  18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Yeah. I'm going to be really disappointed if we draft Suggs.

Granted i've only watched him in two games. They happened to be the two biggest games of his life.

And I wasn't impressed. At all.

He did absolutely nothing today when his team needed him the most. All his points came in what could be considered garbage time. Baylor never looked like relinquishing that lead.

But boy oh boy would I love Mitchell on this team. Now THAT is the kind of defensive dog I can develop mad man crush tendencies for.

D-rock, sydmill and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Couldn’t agree more if Cade is not there this is the piece, a three headed monster of Kelly , wood, and Mobley l.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. JD88

JD88 Member

He reminds me of Adam Morrison...

Dominant at the college level, but I think he's nothing more than a tall PG in the NBA.

What makes him special? Clutch points? A high usage rate? What does he do well? He isos against college dudes six inches shorter than him, which is super awesome, but...

Rudyc281 likes this.