1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Power Ranking Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Apr 5, 2021.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

After first weekend (4/5/2021)... the Athletic has the Astros at #8:
    8. Houston Astros
    Record: 4-0

Every empire falls. The question is how much hardware they can accumulate before the erosion of time and the complication of money or power deal that final blow. Justin Verlander is 38 and still likely out for the year after Tommy John surgery. Zack Greinke is 37. Carlos Correa is in a contract year, and an extension seems more unlikely than ever. George Springer and Josh Reddick are already gone, and last year ended with questions about Jose Altuve as well.​

Snake Diggit and ryan_98 like this.
  2. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That reads like it was written before spring training or by someone who didn't watch any of the games this weekend.

3. phasors28

phasors28 Member

More like 1-3. They conveniently left off young players like Yordan, Tucker, all the pitchers just to fit their crumby narrative

homewight, joshuaao, msn and 2 others like this.
  4. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Yup, 8th in MLB and 4th in the AL seems about right for a team that has (checks notes) 2x the run differential of anyone else, is the only 4-0 team, and was already picked to be 2nd in the AL by every model and Vegas sportbook.

But, hey, "the White Sox might be a very good team" ... don't let that 1-3 start get in the way of putting them at 6.

P.S. The Rays at 9 might be even worse.

5. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Here's the rest of the quote below it:

"But hey, Alex Bregman is in his prime, Yordan Alvarez looks to be on the verge of his, they just swept the A’s in a four-game series in Oakland, and there are exciting reinforcements on the way, so… are we really seeing the end of an era or just a dynasty’s transfer of power?"

6. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

They also put the Yankees (1-2), Braves (0-3), Twins (2-1) and the Mets (0-0!!) ahead of the Astros too

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It was written by their Rangers writer.

vince likes this.
  8. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

joshuaao, xcrunner51, msn and 3 others like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

No, I don't believe I will watch the power rankings.

RKREBORN and arkoe like this.
  10. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

**** like this is the reason why I refused to give them $1 a month for subscription. Instead of talking about sweeping 4 games series against the A’s, they talked about who’s leaving after this year.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What bowl game will they now be eligible for?

awc713, msn and Buck Turgidson like this.
  12. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I quit the Athletic. They had some good stuff, but I got tired of the sign stealing outrage

awc713 and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. Mattician

Mattician Member

That first list is exactly why I don't care about power rankings. Anyone that has the Astros that low after this weekend has their blinders on.

Or you know, it's in spite because of something that happened years ago.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Power rankings aren’t standings. No issues with them being ranked where they are.

awc713 likes this.
  15. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I think national writers are right to be skeptical of the rotation, but if power rankings are based on what we have seen of the season to date, we should certainly be higher. But the same logic would have Baltimore near the top; I think we can all agree that they don't belong even though they are also undefeated.

16. Buck Turgidson

Don't care where they're ranked, but the Twins are really, really good.

msn likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Power rankings in general try to capture how good a team is at that point in the season. While recent games usually influence a ranking, it isn't a 1 to 1 correlation. Personally, my views on the Astros weren't changed much based on the last 4 days except that they have to win 4 less games. To me, the big things besides the winning were it was big seeing the ball fly off the bats with great EVs for Brantley and Gurriel. I've not seen Brantley hit the ball this hard this often in an Astros uniform. For Gurriel, he's getting up there and it is nice seeing that age hasn't robbed him of much power.

RockFanFirst likes this.
  18. vince

vince Member

I wasn’t expecting an Athletics trashing for opening weekend. But for power rankings you need to examine about 1 month of games to gauge a team and its resolve.

While I very much enjoyed the Oakland beat down, it’s a bit too early to make an assessment. But I must admit I am intrigued with the potential of this team.

DFWRocket likes this.
  19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Thanks for ruining my click bait :p

20. Buck Turgidson

Really?

lnchan likes this.