1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben DuBose: Fertitta’s goal is limiting the “bad years” to one or two seasons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by csnerd84, Mar 31, 2021.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Kevin O'Connor: https://www.si.com/nba/76ers/news/nba-rumors-rockets-owner-trade-james-harden-sixers

Jason Dumas: https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/twitter-daryl-morey’s-relationship-with-tillman-fertitta-has-costed-the-sixers-james-harden.311031/ Cod actually corroborated the PJ Tucker part.

Chris Haynes: https://www.insider.com/tilman-fertitta-nixed-james-harden-trade-76ers-daryl-morey-report-2021-1

Enough with this blatant clean up man. That was a lie. Daryl didnt want to spend more time with his family. The Rockets and Feritta looked stupid when Daryl took the job. You can spin it any way you like but the fact is there is bad blood there. This makes Fertitta frankly look dumb when your GM resigns and then takes another job within a month no less. Van Gundy didnt even know Daryl was gone when he interviewed for the job. This was not planned, it was sudden.

Why was Daryl upset to learn that Mike was leaving, why was the whole article in the Athletic framed with how Fertitta handled the situation and not the front office? The fact is, the funny business with the coaching situations never occurred until Tillman took over. Yea the FO gets all the blame while ownership skirts on buy...very typical. Seems a lot like it had to do with Fertitta.

Yea, Im sure some people definitely were, but which people were responsible are definitely trying to shift the blame here.

Little Bit, riko, lakersuck2 and 4 others like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm 100% certain no one told Tilman outright that his idea is stupid. Perhaps what your sources told you is that Morey complimented his then-boss Tilman's idea to his face one time and that's when your source was around. Even more likely, Tilman took a courteous compliment and exaggeratingly told someone later that his genius GM agrees with him. That would explain why you have source saying what you believe, while every other thing on the planet points to Morey not wanting Westbrook especially at that price.

Which, again, makes sense with how things turned out (Morey leaving).

Take a human approach to this thing too. Look at Moreys appearance and tonality when the trade took place and then his general behavior throughout the season. That's the look and sound of a man that is aware the situation is f'ed, not a man who got his target.

Harden, Morey and MDA were so tight lipped that summer. I don't believe they would have leaked anything to a media that Morey constantly plays like a violin - their own to leave would be in jeopardy. He knows how that world works and the 3 all had secret plans to escape the organization even if they had to lie to a liar. I think journos made something up or exaggerated because they weren't getting fed anything from opposing camp. Just Iko and Feigen stuff which no one believes.

Meanwhile Tilman was planting all sorts of BS in the media.

It's weird bro, as a writer who specializes in making characters believable, I can tell you that in your version of the story almost every single person is acting out of character and that wouldn't make it past a script review much less a real life story.

TWS1986, HP3, Deuce and 1 other person like this.
  3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

My bad, I thought we were talking about reporting at the time. Yes, I'm aware of the narrative in recent weeks regarding Houston-Philly deals. I don't believe it is accurate. Separately, I can personally promise you that there were issues with coaching situations in HOU prior to October 2017.

Anyway, I'll tap out of this thread. Jonathan and Kelly are excellent reporters who take enormous pride in their work being accurate, and now we're just going to issue a blanket discredit and say that no one believes them? Moreover, you know nothing about me, I'm not trying to do a "blatant cleanup,” or create characters that are believable (or not believable) to you guys. I thought we were just having a civil conversation about info we had heard and our interpretations. It isn't worth all this.

#183 The Cat, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    JayGoogle, CXbby and saleem like this.
  4. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Scrubs be at tilman house like....

[​IMG]

5. Xopher

Xopher Member

Elon is very cash poor, as he says himself. Almost all of his money is in Tesla and SpaceX stock. A lot of which is used for collateral for loans. Tesla's stock increased over 500% last year. If for some reason Tesla's stock takes a nosedive, he is screwed. Well as screwed as a guy with a few billion, without the stock, can be. Yeah he could absolutely sell or leverage some stock to buy the Rockets, but his money is still tied to Tesla and SpaceX. Now I think he would be a good and competitive owner.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That’s what I remembered, but I didn’t want to speak for you. What a bad day that was! Followed by far too many more since then. Where we are today? It’s like the team is teetering on the edge of a precipice, a strong wind at it’s back pushing it towards the edge and right on over into irrelevancy. The wind being Tilman Fertitta, and it’s a heck of a lot of wind.

7. HP3

HP3 Member

If its down to hearsay at this point two sources of verified reporting, I dont know what else to say. Im sorry I dont trust Feigen. He will always paint his brush with a rosy view of the Rockets, even more so now. Im sure there were but Im also sure there was never a blatant sweep of a coach's staff with the last year of his contract while playing agegism games with said coach. Mike didnt like Fertitta.

I dont mean to be disrespectful Ben. I just disagree with your take on this whole situation. I dont believe Feigen, I still very much trust Kelly. We are still civil, I apologize. Its just weird for me that when publicly things like this go on, it just comes across as people trying to put a fire out.

8. The Cat

Fair enough. One more request, please keep in mind that there's biases across the board. I know there's lots of different angles, but since you brought it up, let's consider these "Houston didn't want to trade Harden to Philly because of Morey" anecdotes. If Brooklyn goes on to win the championship, and Harden is their best player, which narrative do you think the Sixers would want their fans to believe? Or, which narrative do you think Sixers' fans would want to believe?

A) We did everything we reasonably could to get Harden, but Tilman Fertitta blocked us for no good reason.
    B) Being stingy with Tyrese Maxey is the reason that arguably our biggest rival got Harden and beat us to a ring, in the prime of Joel Embiid's career.

It's much easier for everyone when the "bad guy" in these scenarios is elsewhere. Thus, expect people affiliated with that team to push that side, regardless of whether it's true.

I know Jonathan personally, and I can promise you that nothing is more important to him than accuracy in reporting. He doesn't go in with any sort of agenda. That said, since he's based in Houston, can you argue that his sources are more biased to the pro-Houston perspective? Sure. But the flip side, the total opposite applies with many of these outside reports that are getting cited.

If you want to proceed with caution on local reporters like Feigen, Iko, Tim (just naming them because they've been cited by various posters ITT), I guess you can. But it's not fair to do that with them and then treat out-of-market guys like gospel, primarily because they're telling the narrative that you prefer. That's all I really meant — I know I'm not going to change your mind, and I'm not trying to. It's complicated. Just be respectful of the fact that folks on the other side have reasons for their beliefs, too.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

seems like just yesterday Tillman was talking about his goal of a championship this year

10. thekad

thekad Member

“Fertitta stays out of trade negotiations...”

Fertitta: “I personally pulled the trigger on the Westbrook trade.”

If you’re going to carry water for sugar-daddy, at least make your lies a little believable.

darksoul35, YOLO and Williamson like this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

These are national guys who are saying this. Kevin O Connor, not a biased source, well respected reporter. Same with Chris Haynes and same with Jason Dumas.

I dont believe Tyrese Maxey would keep Daryl Morey from getting James Harden, no I absolutely dont believe that. And anyone who would believe that after Daryl being here for years is crazy.

He can accurately get info from bias sources, Im sorry but there is a reason "Feigen fluff piece" is a thing on this board. I dont doubt that his sources are in the know but I also dont doubt that his sources are very bias and I trust this organization way less than I did before. The problem is that total opposites arent saying this, its the National people that are. I am respectful but I disagree and my mind hasnt changed like you said. Until Daryl, Monte, Dantoni or Harden himself come out and say otherwise we are where we are.

TWS1986 and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if the whining would be worse or about the same had Fertitta told Harden to just shut up and dribble, refusing his demand that they trade for Westbrook. Right now, that's what the simple minded fans claim they wanted Fertitta to do because he did the opposite, but I'm willing to bet that those same "fans" would have a completely different opinion if Fertitta decided not to give in to Harden's demands leading to him pulling his BS a season sooner.

CXbby likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

#bootlickers

14. The Cat

Jason Dumas, who is a Philly guy, "reported" that the NBA was considering pausing the season in January.
    https://www.kron4.com/nba/nba-considers-pause-as-covid-cases-grow/

National guys make mistakes, too. Woj is the best reporter in the game, and he said pretty confidently last week that the Rockets had a good market for Oladipo, including a "mid 1st" pick. He was wrong.

"National guys" typically run through agents, whereas local beat writers like Feigen are more likely to have their sources within that organization. There's nothing inherently more accurate from the agent side. Neither is inherently "better," it's just two opposite sides of a complicated puzzle.

Anyway, it's all good. Apologies that it got a little heated. I know I'm not going to change minds, just wanted to add some context.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Every owner signs off on major transactions, but the negotiations ironing out the details of the trade, that's all on the GM.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

not in this case, when you have a dumbass owner who publicly admitted proudly he forced it. Then the GM left his ass for better

HP3 likes this.
  17. thekad

thekad Member

Oh yeah the same fans who said the Westbrook trade was a disaster from the very beginning would have been so upset.

The delusion you people live in is amazing lmao

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was one of those fans.....

The decision was to lose Harden a year early or do what he wanted and lose him a year later. It was a no win scenario.

The Cat likes this.
  19. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member