1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

leroy, No Worries, B-Bob and 3 others like this.
  2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Been driving my model S for 8 years now. Damn.

Don't ever see myself going back to ICE.

CXbby, Ubiquitin, Space Ghost and 2 others like this.
  3. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I did a google map route, and Pensacola, FL is over 500 miles from my house in Houston. So your EV gets over 500 miles of range? Tesla?

I thought most were in the 3-4 hundred mile range? Many below.

I think that's my fear. That there aren't enough charging stations or at least "universal" charging stations?

Plus, I just bought a vehicle, and I plan to try to keep it for at least 7 more years or so. By that time though, I'll definitely seriously consider an EV. The Rivians are pretty cool for the truck/SUV.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I think it becomes a Nickola.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It's showing about 550 miles from me.

We get about ~300 miles on a full charge, but when you drive on AP at 85-90 (max speed on AP), you won't get 1:1 or close to it so I ended up making 2 stops at Tesla's supercharging stations to be safe. Once in Baton Rouge (not recommeded as it takes you 10 minutes each way off course) and once in Lafayette.

The charge starts very fast at 500-600 MPH, but slows down to protect the battery. It can take 45-60 mins or less depending on how many miles you already have left to get to a full charge.

#65 sammy, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Going to Pensacola Beach soon. Any particular recommendations?

sammy likes this.
  7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We stayed at the Portofino Resort (best property there imo) and loved it. The beach is pretty.. there is some micro seaweed but not as much on our side of the beach.

We went when Covid was starting to take off last year so we didnt even eat out. Took everything with us since it was a road trip.. food, beach tent, beach chairs etc. It's a relatively short drive and well worth it.

8. KingCheetah

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Wait for Congress to pass an infrastructure bill. There's a good chance they reimplement the EV tax credit for companies that have passed 200000 vehicles sold along with new credits. Same goes for anyone thinking about implementing solar panels for their house.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

classic essay by Michael Crichton where he speculated about similar things:

Let’s think back to people in 1900 in, say, New York. If they worried about people in 2000, what would they worry about? Probably: Where would people get enough horses? And what would they do about all the horseshit? Horse pollution was bad in 1900, think how much worse it would be a century later, with so many more people riding horses?

But of course, within a few years, nobody rode horses except for sport. And in 2000, France was getting 80% its power from an energy source that was unknown in 1900. Germany, Switzerland, Belgium and Japan were getting more than 30% from this source, unknown in 1900. Remember, people in 1900 didn’t know what an atom was. They didn’t know its structure. They also didn’t know what a radio was, or an airport, or a movie, or a television, or a computer, or a cell phone, or a jet, an antibiotic, a rocket, a satellite, an MRI, ICU, IUD, IBM, IRA, ERA, EEG, EPA, IRS, DOD, PCP, HTML, internet, interferon, instant replay, remote sensing, remote control, speed dialing, gene therapy, gene splicing, genes, spot welding, heat-seeking, bipolar, prozac, leotards, lap dancing, email, tape recorder, CDs, airbags, plastic explosive, plastic, robots, cars, liposuction, transduction, superconduction, dish antennas, step aerobics, smoothies, twelve-step, ultrasound, nylon, rayon, teflon, fiber optics, carpal tunnel, laser surgery, laparoscopy, corneal transplant, kidney transplant, AIDS. None of this would have meant anything to a person in the year 1900. They wouldn’t know what you are talking about.

Now. You tell me you can predict the world of 2100. Tell me it’s even worth thinking about. Our models just carry the present into the future. They’re bound to be wrong. Everybody who gives a moment’s thought knows it.

B-Bob and MadMax like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. KingCheetah

13. KingCheetah

CCity Zero, sammy and B-Bob like this.
  14. droxford

droxford Member

Important factors that must be addressed for EVs to replace ICE:

Price of car
    Price of energy/electricity
    Availability of charging stations
    Driving range
    Safety of car
    Reliability of car
    Functionality of car
    Cost of car repairs (generally)
    Self-reparability
    Parts availability
    Longevity of car
    Time it takes to recharge
    Visual appearance of car

15. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Better mileage and faster charging. As much as I like combustible engines they require too much much maintenance and there's more to go wrong.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I imagine we'll buy one more gas car, and then we'll be able to look into electric, once they're more widely available and priced more reasonably.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Here's my issue. I don't buy new cars, ever. But the battery life and replacement cost on a used car worry me. So until I see some sustainability like we see in gasoline vehicles, I won't consider one for serious use.

dmoneybangbang and jiggyfly like this.
  19. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

If it means anything, my ~9 year old Volt's battery seems to be doing OK, and I've seen reports of people with Volts that passed 400K miles (though maybe only ~150K miles were from the battery directly). I'm thinking the newer EV models are much better with their batteries, and a quick Google seems to imply that's true I guess. Then there's the "million mile" battery tech Tesla is always hyping.