1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draymond Green "Tired of Women Complaining about Pay Gap"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Apr 1, 2021.

?

Women in sports getting paid less then men

1. Unfair - same job

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fair - NBA generates more money than WNBA

21 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Note: To all that joined Clutchfans to join this bottom section and never once talk about basketball

This guy, Draymond Green is an NBA player (National Basketball Association) and plays in San Francisco (Yes the Warriors moved from Oakland)

PS, Clutchfans is a site for Rockets fans, if you didn't join for the Rockets
    leave now
    and join your Tucker fan club or Art History Reject focus group or the Government should pay me because I exist and complain for a living
    @Os Trigonum

#1 tinman, Apr 1, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Don't care about Draymond's other issues, he is right about this.

The first stupid thing is women and men are in different leagues. Two different organizations aren't held to the same standards.

Second, sports salaries are about the sport's marketability. The only sports women are as or more marketable are tennis, gymnastics, and figure skating.

This is a big topic in Houston's professional soccer teams. The soccer teams are associated but if the women's team doesn't make as much why do these women expect to be paid the same.

When it comes to topics like I swear Americans do not understand where money comes from

4. AkeemTheDreem86

Fine. How about we pay all athletes minimum wage, then pay teachers and police officers more to attract better talent?

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

If we had better math teachers people would realize why the "pay gap" exists.

pgabriel and tinman like this.
  6. AkeemTheDreem86

I guess that explains why they'd rather pay athletes.

dachuda86 likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

Teachers don’t sell $200 sneakers
    Or get mobbed at the mall

I get the principal on what’s the more important job
    But economics pays a role in this

dachuda86 likes this.
  8. AkeemTheDreem86

And I'm not actually 100% anti-capitalism. I just wish there was some way for our society to more accurately reflect our values...

How about we tax the **** out of the obscenely wealthy (e.g. sports franchise owners) and invest that money into teacher/police training and salaries?

9. tinman

Supporting Member

There’s a balance in all of this. The people who are wealthy were hard working people with innovative ideas and also created jobs for people.

Teachers do get paid much better in private institutions than in public ones. That’s the other issue, the good teachers go to the private schools cause the public schools suck .

then you have parents who only care about the athletics part of school. Let’s face it, people idolize sports figures

this area always wants to simply things but issues are complicated

it’s not as easy as Hakeem is better than PJ Tucker at center

pgabriel likes this.
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I understand that but there are only so many pro athletes. We should tax all wealthy people more.

That being said teachers do make good money compared to the rest of the world. We don't have a shortage of talent. I don't have a problem with pro athlete salaries because their talent is really exclusive.

A lot of corporate salaries are inflated. I worked with some energy traders making huge salaries just doing energy trades which is nothing but buying and selling. These guys are all making $100K to $150K which isn't ridiculous but considering the minimum wage it is a lot.

Some corporate jobs do require technical skills but in the situation of the energy traders it's a lot about the relationships they develop and maintain. Obviously the relationships sales people maintain are what makes them valuable but still there has to be perspective.

That being said cutting high salaries won't raise low salaries because the jobs have nothing to do with each other but we need to raise taxes on high salaries if for no other reason this country is running some massive debt.

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

Many teachers at private schools make less than their public school counterparts, especially at Parochial schools.

Nook and desi tmac91 like this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I am a Catholic School kid and this is true of Catholic Schools but maybe not all private schools

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Everything is location based.

Your $500K house in Texas is a closet in Manhattan and fortress in Thailand.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

you also went a level sideways because he's talking about Gender in a sports setting.

I think the majority of people can figure out why high level athletes get paid more a police person or teacher.

As mentioned, Women in certain sports make equal or much higher pay depending on the sport.

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Raise the requirements for what it takes to teach and that will raise the pay because the number of workers will be lower; thus supply and demand kicks in. To offset this we've artificially created easier routes for people to become teachers; THUS **** pay because the supply of labor has been inflated. The job would actually pay a decent wage if we didn't lower standards for alternative certification, etc.

Nook likes this.
  16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The pay gap is a political meme that just won't seem to go away. It's like the liberals' version of "dey turk our jerbs".

There are many, many factors that go into determining how much money you make. Tolerance for risk, natural interests (people VS things), hours of availability, willingness to negotiate (aka disagreeableness).

By and large women choose careers and ways of working that produce less income. On top of that, the wage differences between the sexes in similar fields is less than 2 percent.

There's simply no gender biased boogeyman responsible for women earning less than men.

dachuda86, JumpMan and tinman like this.
  17. malakas

malakas Member

WTA players get paid far less than ATP players even when they are equally or even more popular than their male counterparts.
    Even for the Grand Slams Wimbledon only offered equal pay in singles in 2007.
    Why? Because of all the "whining" and "complaining".

So even with all other things being equal like popularity, sponsorship, ticket sales there is an inherent sexism that still today forces women to be paid far less than men.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  18. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

Assessing the likelihood of an ATP-WTA merger - Is it possible? - Page 2
    It is because they generate less revenue, by a lot.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Public schools don't suck. The problem in this country is the extreme variance in quality depending on your neighborhood.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Not for basketball though. The men's side just produces the better quality more enjoyable product.