1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Exactly, you don't own an EV so you don't know. It isn't good for your battery to use superchargers all of the time.

A low voltage charge is what you want and you need to do this at home. You aren't going to do a slow charge (15-40 miles per hour) at a gas station obviously and you wouldn't want to use superchargers (only Tesla has this) all of the time as mentioned.

Apartment complexes pose issues obviously and I wouldn't get one if I lived in one.

2. sammy

There are slow chargers everywhere btw. Just have to download the Plugshare app.

Houston also has one of the most Tesla supercharging stations in the country. We're like at 5 now.

Sajan likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I do own a car and know what ranges are and I know those things vary in traffic.

Nobody is saying use superchargers all the time and all EV's cannot go 200 plus miles.

What if an emergency crops up and your car is not fully charged?

What is your power goes out and you can't charge at home?

What is your charger breaks down?

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What do you consider everywhere?

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

Before it gets too heated...maybe realize we don't need to go from 100% gas to 100% electric? Buy what's convenient for you!

I have ~20 years of driving history to know my daily habits. It's less than 100 miles a day (avg 50 or so). Even if I drive 100 miles a day, that still leaves me with 50% battery by the end of the day. Plug it in and I should be good back to full in less than 4 hours.

We are at 2% electric in the US.
    Maybe 30-40% would be nice? That's a lot more cars not polluting and making noises...

B-Bob and jiggyfly like this.
  6. sammy

I would have to charge at the supercharger closest to me. There’s one 10 minutes from me.

I charged our cars the night before the winter storm. You need to be prepared when you think your power could go out. You can invest in Tesla power wall though to avoid this problem :p

Your charger won’t just go out unless it’s power related.

jiggyfly and Sajan like this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm not that rabid about the emissions b/c our household has a small footprint anyway, but I would like to go electric b/c I'm pretty sick of the maintenance and noise on a combustion engine, in addition to the environmental part. It's been fun for decades, but I'm ready for something new. (Yes, that's what she said.)

Sajan likes this.
  9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

When people figure out an environmentally responsible way to dispose of giant batteries.

ElPigto and B-Bob like this.
  10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The right combination of price, range, time to recharge, wide availability of recharging stations in areas I frequently drive, comfort, and styling.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. B-Bob

[​IMG]

ElPigto likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Maybe but is that a legit concern or is it like saying we can only switch off coal to gas once we find a safe way to prevent environmental damage from fracking?

Coal (gas-powered engines) is empirically fcking us way harder than gas(batteries), right?

jiggyfly and DaDakota like this.
  13. B-Bob

Yeah, I wasn't being serious. It's fair to say that the prospects of engineering our way to dealing with big nasty batteries are way, way better than our prospects of scrubbing all the excess carbon from the atmosphere. People are working on that problem and making little bits of progress, but it's: (a) super energy consuming (d'oh!) and (b) never going to reach international agreement on an atmospheric carbon setting.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I am considering switching with my next car purchase, which should be in 2 years. What is the most luxurious SUV that is electric?

I would also like to see far more charging stations, much faster charge times, and more data on safety and operating track records prior to buying. I'm not putting the family, or more importantly, myself, in a car that has not yet stood the test of time.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I don't understand how someone could choose a Tesla over this Porsche.

CCity Zero, jiggyfly, Sajan and 3 others like this.
  16. Blake

Yes, it is a legit concern.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Independently absolutely.

But relative to your decision-making on considering an EV over a traditional gas-powered car? I'm not seeing that (if that's what you're saying).

18. Blake

I guess I would argue that there are differing schools of thought on global warming. Not that it is happening but as the WHY it is happening. And there are lots of arguments on both sides that can make sense if you read them but yes it is happening. One school is CO2 emissions, which I am not saying is incorrect. But it isn’t 100% fact. What is 100% fact is the certain environmental damage that will be done burying batteries. So you trade a likely damage for certain damage. So I stand by what I said, batteries are not the long term answer until we can actually dispose of them in an environmentally responsible manner. You trade one ill for another. I don’t think EV’s as they stand are the environmental amazing solution that others do but I certainly understand the appeal in many ways. Just my $0.02

19. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

That's not how it works.

They are just multiple smaller batteries connected in series so one cell can be replaced for another and you wouldn't have to discard the entire battery pack. There are already plenty of people/companies that refurbish battery packs for hybrid cars like the Prius which is what I own. I imagine it's only going to be a matter of time before the same can be said for EV's.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. Blake

And when that happens I will feel better about it. Again just my opinion but as it stands now I feel we have a massive future problem on our hands but not saying EV’s aren’t a better long-term solution to gas powered cars or that it can’t be solved.