1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Tankathon Extravaganza 21/22

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Grizzlyshark, Mar 30, 2021.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Miami's pick is highly volatile. Right now only 1 game in the loss column separates 10th pick from 18th pick. Not to mention by being 10th it would add 11% odds to get a top 4 pick. We need Oladipo to come in there and ruin their season full stop. If Miami misses the Playoffs and is 10th, then we are in great shape for the draft no matter what happens.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

[​IMG]
    I threw up doing this today, the first one I get...while we keep our pick its sickening seeing GSW jump up from 13 TO FIRST AND getting Minny's pick...

3. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Tankathon #3

Draft sim:
    1. Washington
    2. Houston
    3. Toronto
    4. Golden State (sigh)
    5. Detroit

Houston also get #23 and #25. Orlando slips a bit but get #6 and #8 via Chicago.

Draft Results:

Link to draft results:
    https://tradenba.com/mock-drafts/O2YmK6lUI

1. Washington draft Cade Cunningham
    2. Houston draft Evan Mobley
    3. Toronto draft Jalen Green
    4. Golden State draft Jalen Suggs
    5. Detroit draft Jonothan Kuminga

#23 Houston draft Day'Ron Sharpe, #25 draft Chris Duarte. Orlando take Scottie Barnes and James Boughknight, OKC take Zaire Williams, Wagner falls to Indianna at 10, Davion Mitchell falls wayyyy down to the Lakers at 24.

Offseason trades/moves:

Link to trade:
    https://tradenba.com/trades/MHvTFu4fd

So. Not super exciting off season moves here. More staying the course and keeping Wall (theory was, no one would take him without draft compensation that Houston didnt want to give up).
    Resign Olynyk because hes a Rockets legend at this point.
    Traded House for Wright, for a couple of reasons. Wanted another backup ball handler incase Augustine misses any time and i also wanted to open room up for KJ in the rotation.
    Really love Duarte being our future Gordon off the bench, which is another reason i held onto Gordon, to mentor him a bit. Also with Wall missing time, running KPJ at the one and Gordon at the 2 should work (in theory).
    Mobley and Wood is scary scary times. Mobley has 100% solidified himself as our #2 pick on the board and having two quick floor spacing bigs, one who can handle the ball incredibly well, and who fit the modern NBA. Chefs kiss.

2021/2022 Lineup:

Wall/Augustine/Wright
    KPJ/Gordon/Duarte
    Tate/KJ
    Mobley/OPJ
    Wood/Olynyk/Sharpe

JayGoogle and saleem like this.
  4. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Doh. Forgot about resigning Brown/Nwaba (can blame that on a few too many last night).

I genuinely think we'll only be able to get one and the other will price himself out. Most likely Brown. Nwaba totally fits the Tate/KJ rotation to.

don grahamleone and saleem like this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks a lot.

6. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Magic and Pistons won today!

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Our tank commander is better than theirs.

8. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Tankathon #4

Not sure whos still keeping up with this. But its fun for me so il keep going until its not or someone begs me to stop haha

Draft sim results

1. Houston
    2. Washington
    3. Cleveland
    4. Detroit
    5. Golden State via Minnesota (ugh again)

Houston get #22 and #25. Orlando for the 2nd tome get #6 and #8. No other massive leaps apart from GS getting Minnys pick. Again.

Draft results:

Link to mock draft:
    https://tradenba.com/mock-drafts/Wk6kt22Qu

1. Houston draft Cade Cunningham
    2. Washing draft Evan Mobley
    3. Cleveland draft Jalen Green
    4. Detroit draft Jalen Suggs
    5. Golden State draft Jonathan Kuminga

No surprises again in the top 5. But this may be my fave draft so far.
    Houston take Davion Mitchell at #23 and Brandon Boston at #25. Huge physical potential with Boston.
    Raptors take a big reach with Kai Jones at 7. Was tempted to go with a 2 guard, but they traded for GTJ for a reason. Outside of Kuminga, Kai may be the best big man in the class. Should be a great fit on the team.

Trades/Offseason moves:

Link to trades:
    https://tradenba.com/trades/J6p20cQM6

Ok. This is BIG time pipe dream. We keep Wall because there isnt a market for him. However we trade away House and Gordon. I still think they have value and we managed to get a protected pick out of it. I really like Josh Green and think he has Gordon like potential but.. ya know. Bigger.

We again throw everything we can at Collins. I tried doing a S&T with the Hawks but the tool didnt really give me the option.

I think we have win now and future players. But this may still result in a down season while we get things to click.

Actually wouldnt mind keeping Gordon but this does save us money so.. Tillman seel of approval.

Lineup:

Cade/Wall/Augustine/Mitchell
    KPJ/Richardson/Green/Boston
    Tate/KJ/Nwaba
    Collins/Wilson
    Wood/Olynyk

Without the Gordon trade:

Cade/Wall/Augustine/Mitchell
    KPJ/Gordon/Boston
    Tate/KPJ/House
    Collins/Wilson
    Wood/Olynyk

9. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

And we just shat the bed in the last quarter of the Boston game. Fade for Cade is real!

saleem and LFE171 like this.
  10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

If we finish with the worst record are we guaranteed a top 4 pick?

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Jesus those players are all so young and probably 3-4 years away from leading anything.

Ugh...ugh ugh...

DD

csnerd84, fattz and Grizzlyshark like this.
  12. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Fair. I think i got mixed up with keeping gordon. Wall, Gordon, Olynyk, Augustine.. their pretty decent vets for a young team.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Nope. The new lottery rules have the first FOUR picks by drawing ping pong balls. Have to actually WIN the lottery to keep our pick.

14. fattz

fattz Member

I think we need to add size to the front court with the both picks in the 20’s. Raw energy / high motor players that learn as they give up their 5 fouls. It will work because the veteran back court leadership with have the ball in their hands most of the time. Our goal should be to make rebounding a problem of the past. We are seeing some rebounding already with the addition by subtraction already. As our roster changes I look forward to seeing many new things that players like Martin and Tate bring.

Grizzlyshark likes this.
  15. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

If he starts falling and if its enough, id package those two and House if Kai Jones is still in the late lottery. Im super high on the guy the more is see. Especially if we get Cade/Green or Suggs with our pick (fingers crossed).

Curious to see how people rate the top 5. Theres a general consensus, but i saw on Rockets twitter an arguement for Kaminga at 2. Personally im

1. Cade
    2. Mobley
    3. Green
    4. Suggs
    5. Kuminga

In that order. Am i missing something in Kuminga? Maybe seeing some much hyped wings fizzle out (Wiggans, Jackson, Culver) over the years has burnt me a little.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn’t know that. I’ve been thinking this whole time that the top 4 protection was to guarantee we keep the pick if we end up with the worst record. Did they change the rule just to spite the Rockets?

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No, it was in response to Hinkie and his Process Sixers. Now, the top 4 (not 3) picks are drawn by lottery, the bottom 3 teams (regardless of relative records) have identical lottery odds, and lottery odds are a little more evenly distributed across most lottery teams (especially helping mid-lottery teams in the 6-9 range).

Richie_Rich, theDude and saleem like this.
  18. fattz

fattz Member

I like Jones too but with the number of the second tier player in this draft we can pick up 2 for 1 just by keeping what we got. Someone will fall to us please we pick up another player to hedge our bet. We need to go with size and never look back.

saleem likes this.
  19. sydmill

sydmill Member

Free agency
    I would re-sign Brown, Nwaba, and Olynyk. I would exercise the option on Bradley (who I would move for a late first or second round pick).

Trade
    As mentioned above I would look to move Bradley for draft consideration. For my purpose here, let's say to New Orleans for one of their second round picks (pick #35).

Draft
    #2: Evan Mobley
    #22: Marcus Bagley
    #26: Charles Bassey
    #35: Bones Hyland

1 - Wall - Augustin - Hyland
    2 - KPJ - Gordon - Brown
    3 - Tate - Nwaba - Bagley
    4 - Mobley - Martin
    5 - Wood - Olynyk - Bassey

Grizzlyshark likes this.
  20. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Tankathon #5

Draft sim results:

1. Minnesota
    2. Houston
    3. Detroit
    4. Raptors
    5. Cleveland

Rockets get #22 and #26.
    Golden State fall out of the top 5! They have #13. Nothing crazy with this one. Raps jump up to #4 which makes all the others before #8 drop one place.

Draft results:

1. Timberwolves draft Cade Cunningham
    2. Rockets draft Jalen Suggs
    3. Pistons draft Evan Mobley
    4. Raptors draft Jalen Green
    5. Cleveland draft Jonathan Kuminga

Rockets draft Chris Duarte #22 and Brandon Boston #23 (more on this later), Indianna draft Kai Jones (more on THIS later). Kai drops a bit after a stretch of teams drafting on upside AND fit (a lot of the guys IMO around 6-12 are very much on the same level talent wise). Davion Mitchell on the up and up after his Final Four performance.

Offseason moves/trades:

Link to trade:
    https://tradenba.com/trades/bYfFVM9EV

Ok. This is a couple trades thrown in to one (and one of my most fun scenarios).
    Indianna trades their pick - Kai Jones for Danuel House and our late picks - Chris Duarte and Brandon Boston.
    We also get off the Wall contract with a bit of a rehash of my first Tankathon. Wall to Charlotte (with two 2nd rounders), Rozier to Clippers, Marcus Morris to Houston.

Morris becomes our dog off the bench and HOPEFULLY falls into the role i would want a James Johnson to play.

Trading up for Kai is 100% a positive. Indy take a swing on some guards with big upside and stockpile for the future.

Lineup 2021/2022:

KPJ/Dunn/Augustine
    Suggs/Gordon
    Tate/KJ/Nwaba
    Kai/Morris
    Wood/Olynyk