1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben DuBose: Fertitta’s goal is limiting the “bad years” to one or two seasons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by csnerd84, Mar 31, 2021.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I would say overall I agree

counterpoint - the rationale from the **** Tilman standpoint is that you hope the next owner is a better manager and runs a more successful “on-court” organization. What are our odds ? 50/50 ? even then I’d give you some point saying even with bad ownership you CAN get lucky and have good years to be a fan .

**** , I kinda think the league is fixed . Maybe Tilman’s shady background can help us long-run here ?

just throwing darts lol

edit. And in reference to your other post , there are more than a few definite what-ifs in the Morey era when it comes to luck and player development. If he’d have made the “right” call on a few guys it could have drastically altered things.

but some of that is on coaching as well . We don’t quite know how that particular dynamic functioned. Some coaches will say “I just coach whatever roster I’m given” but before a trade is made , wouldn’t you bring a coach in to see how he feels the development of our younger players is coming along ?

we’ve had coaches that didn’t like to play rookies . We all want more organic development from all parts of the organization. Wouldn’t it be great if when you added any player they hit their max potential?

but damn the ty Lawson trade .
    Screw our injury luck
    CP3 deal looks pretty bad
    Tilman is annoying
    Rockets have gone to ****
    The last year has been bad

it’s easy to be pissed right now

#81 snowconeman22, Mar 31, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    don grahamleone likes this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I like your attitude. You and I can definitely throw darts anytime.

3. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

@vstiviano on IG

HP3 and topfive like this.
  4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You're assuming that I care about his financial well being outside of the Rockets. I don't ****ing care. Tilman killing it = getting good players here that want to win. Tilman stacking more cash on his billions = DILLIGAF

I care that he makes good decisions for the team and the team starts killing it with the team. If he makes money in the private sector it won't affect me one bit. I don't care. Tilman can lose it all, his entire fortune and I won't care. He's the owner of the Rockets. That's what I care about.

Why do any of you care about any of these NBA owners' personal finances?

5. HP3

HP3 Member

Imagine trying to defend Tillman lmao. But “Harden was calling every day” but lmao our insiders here say differently. The same douchebag is a company fan.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It's exactly what I said a week ago about the way TF works. Of course he's thinking ticket sales, marketing, vendor sales, etc. first and foremost. He's going to think that way because that's the way he is wired as a restaurant guy.

I knew he'd be all in for tanking it hard this year because of that. However if the rules allow for full attendance next season (God help us if the pandemic is still raging in November), I wouldn't be shocked if he pushes Stone hard to make moves to bring in a couple big name signings just for the marketing, and ticket sales dynamic.

I wouldn't be shocked if Blake Griffin is a target he pushes Stone to go out and get and pay for when he really at this point is just a vet min type of player. 2021-22 will really be the first year that I would think Tillman would really have his hands on firmly with the launch of the season. I'm sure it'll be Bubba Gump Shrimp quality to say the least.

topfive and napalm06 like this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Less than zero.

BamBam, Nook and payaso like this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Who cares?

Call Les cheap or overrated all you want. He never willfully tore down a contender purely for financial reasons. He didn't consistently make the GM waste assets to shed salary. He never embarrassed the franchise publicly like Tilman has multiple times now. He also had the vision to let Daryl Morey come aboard, as opposed to Tilman who was a primary reason why the dude bailed on the franchise.

9. csc177

csc177 Member

Yeah the injury luck is a real thing...Sampson, Yao, T-mac, Cp3...list goes on. We were lucky, I mean extremely lucky on how durable 13 was.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its increasinly clear that we have the worst owner in the league.

The owner has two jobs:
    Spend
    Don't meddle

He gets a resounding F in both categories.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

How quickly people forget so many moves involving Shumpert, Knight, Chriss, and the entire first season with Tilman at the helm. We burned through picks and prospects (Melton) like junkies. We all wondered if Morey was going senile. The Westbrook trade was the tiara on top. It's no wonder Morey bailed so quickly after. Tilman also then dragged a very non-threatening Mike Dantoni through the mud with the press for negotiating leverage. The guy is a total knob and people still try to find ways to explain it while we're still just falling, falling off a cliff. Bizarre.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Stockholm syndrome

topfive and Der Rabbi like this.
  13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Haha. But seriously... Usually even Stockholm requires some manipulative positive reinforcement to evoke the psychological response. I can't think of anything Tilman has done to make people endorse him as a leader.

topfive likes this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean it's pretty relevant to the argument being made. Tilman never tore down a contender, Ariza wasn't any good anymore, CP3 had a terrible year, but people act like he destroyed a championship caliber team when all he did was rotated some role players with some other role players and oh yeah...the Rockets were still right there to beat the Warriors...WITHOUT DURANT...but again, CP3 looked washed up and thus gotten dealt.

CP3 didn't get dealt away playing great ball, he got dealt away looking washed up, old, and on what many here thought was a bad contract.

At some point yall have to just admit the team wasn't good enough to beat a Durantless Warrior team and that didn't have much to do with missing this or that role player.

15. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Imagine still being a Houston Tilman fan lulz

J Sizzle likes this.
  16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Did he explicitly say that?

I heard him say "we have so many draft picks"
    - ie, we can dodge tax pretty easily for quite some time now

17. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Please eat at Landry’s!!!!!

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Tilman made an emotional move because he was pissed they lost to the Warriors.

The next day on first take SAS said that Tilman was very angry about losing that game to Durantless Warriors and that "Heads will roll" and boy did they. That's basically what happened. He thought CP3 was a terrible contract and since he was already convinced of that the previous series against the Warriors confirmed his initial beliefs and so he made the move.

No one even knows if Les does the same thing, losing to a team that you claim you lost to the previous year because of injury hurts. Doubly hurts when that team is then injured against you and still owns you and beats you in your own building at that. Like I'm not sure how the team moves forward from there.

Also, people are really forgetting that Tilman was trying to get Butler here...this just directly contradicts the whole narrative of that offseason that he was cheap and not trying to win. Butler was plan A...then Butler decided he wanted to go to Miami...but Butler was plan A the entire time, to pair him with CP3 and Harden. That fell through and Tilman just wasn't confident that a CP3-Harden core could win a championship...and at that point in time, MANY on this board here agreed with it.

I mean a lot of mistakes were made. Some people that think you can't criticize the holy trinity (Morey/Harden/MDA) won't admit that mistakes were made from each of these people that contributed to us never getting past the Warriors. To win a championship means everything has to go right. It's fine to criticize Tilman for it and it should be fine to point out what Harden, Morey, or MDA could have done better to assure we made it to the finals. After all, Tilman was just here for the tailend of that era. The rest of the Harden era was all Les...

CXbby, don grahamleone and VoR like this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Half way there
    living on a prayer

20. VoR

VoR Member

No one the Rockets got would have beat the Lakers or Clippers or even the Nuggets and Jazz for that matter.

They had their chance in 2018 and 2019 and lost. Spending money on that routine over and over again would have been a failed venture and all of you would still be b****ing regardless of the outcome.

JayGoogle likes this.