1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1995 Series Ranking

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bro2044, Mar 29, 2021.

1. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Just curious everyone's fav in order for that playoff run. It was better than most runs, if any others, so lay them out!

This is hard to do.... I want the Magic series to be higher, because its the title, but my did the other 2 feel magical in their own way...

1. Phoenix (Elie KOD)
    2. San Antonio (Hakeem the true MVP)
    3. Orlando (from 20 down to dominance)
    4. Utah (Drexler truly cemented his importance)

I needed this, 2021 bball is depressing.

xiki, B-Bob, Patience and 1 other person like this.
  2. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

It seems like you old school rocket fans enjoy the second championship more than the first.

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

First was incredible. We don’t win without OT doing man’s work on the weak side against the Knick thugs. Second was amazing and running through the Magic would have not been possible without Clyde.

There is no ranking the two. They each stand alone yet together in Houston sports history.

As for the others, hard to beat each of the Phoenix series as they both went 7 and the Suns matched up well with us... but that Spurs MVP series though. That was beautiful.

B-Bob, Richie_Rich, napalm06 and 2 others like this.
  4. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

1994 was awesome, but 1995 was more fun, and certainly more unexpected, as we were the underdog in every single series. We were expected to lose in the first round that year.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You ask the impossible. It was 2 great series sandwiched by 2 great series.

Patience likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Utah had a better chance of beating them than San Antonio did. Plus it was a short series that would have likely gone 7 if played today.

That series actually took a toll on the Rockets to where they looked flat and exhausted the first 4 games against Phoenix.

7. sydmill

sydmill Member

Just want to say thanks to Nick Anderson right here.

8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

it's weird but somehow the first championship feels ancient and the second more modern. even in my mind the game were lit better on tv in the 2nd title. i was watching the rockets as far back as '89 and i know i was watching all the games by the title years because i know i saw the 15-0 streak to start the season and because i remember my sister always complaining that i was using the one tv that got cable (HSE). and yet i have so few recollections of the first title run before the clock didn't run against utah. were that many of the playoff games just on pay per view? i'm certain i watched the phoenix series but i really don't remember it and not really portland either.

on the other hand i specifically remember almost all of the 2nd championship. so it somehow feels like a better championship even though actually winning the first was incredible. plus it was just crazy as the 6th seed.

anyway, for 1995 i would go:
    spurs - for the hakeem performance
    suns - for closeness and KOD
    utah - because we beat utah
    orlando - game 1 is great but it was a sweep

9. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Lol some of yall didn't understand the thread. I wasn't asking for if the 94 or 95 run was better, I asked for a ranking of the 95 series run.

I didnt mean for anyone to choose a favorite title or anything. The 2nd run was just a bit more improbable, and had 4 b2b2b2b amazeball series with no homecourt. :)

B-Bob likes this.
  10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

A lot of this echoes my sentiments except for there was probably not a bigger sports moment for me then the ending of Game 7 against the Knicks. A very close second is the 2017 Astros World Series. Might even be a tie. I think I enjoyed the run of the 95 playoff team more because we already had one in the bank.

JoeBarelyCares and Patience like this.
  11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i was young enough (12) that winning the title was great but didn't have the full baggage of houston sportsdom attached to it. i can't imagine how it would feel now. hell, watching someone with hakeem's post moves didn't seem that crazy to me at the time because i was used to it. i was so naive that when maxwell hit that 3 to put us up 8 at the end of game 7, i thought the game was over. nowadays i'd figure that was just enough time for us to lose the game by 5 or 6.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

That’s a good point on the baggage. I was around the same age but I was so invested in that team. I think a Harden’s Rocket team beating the Warriors super team in 18 might have replicated it though.

13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

While we reminiscing: where does Aaron Brooks rank amongst Houston pg’s. And don’t count Harden as a pg.

He’s ahead of Francis IMO. Had bigger playoff performance.

Patience likes this.
  14. Rockets4Life13

Stuff like that doesn’t happen anymore. When was the last time 1st round fodder teams won the championship?

bro2044 likes this.
  15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It didn't happen before then, either. The 95 Rockets are the only team to do it. The only team that can even argue otherwise was the 8th seed Knicks, but that was in a strike shortened season.

bro2044, Invisible Fan and Patience like this.
  16. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

That whole playoff run was actually a one of one statistically and it was special because it was the hardest run in NBA history.

Many didn't fully understand how great it was, but here is some info for those who are interested in why people feel that way. Check out the video below, it's worth your time:

bro2044 and francis 4 prez like this.
  17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Not me. But the 3rd will ice the cake. ‘June ‘23. I. Am. Ready!

mac_got_this likes this.
  18. HROZ

HROZ Member

The thrashing Hakeem gave David Robinson really stands out.
    Suns second Jazz third and the sweep 4th.

94vs95 is hard to compare.
    Both were incredible.
    Both times we beat the Suns 4-3.
    Those who followed Hakeem's career also remember Ewing winning the NCAA over Hakeem.
    Shaq in the finals also was a new challenge and definitely got more hype.
    If I remember correctly OJ driving a bronco followed by cops happened during game 4 or 5.

bro2044 likes this.
  19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I can see why ppl like the 2nd championship better. It’s something about winning as an underdog. I’m from DC and a Nats fan and that 2019 championship run was so improbable and incredible from the comeback victory wildcard game against the brewers, to being down 2-1 against the Dodgers and and coming back to wi the series to being down 3-2 against the Astros. I watch that postseason run every week almost every day. I’ll never forget it. I was beginning to believe I would never see any of my teams(rockets , Cowboys and Nats) win a championships.

thank you Washington