1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Alone

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by K mf G, Mar 30, 2021.

1. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I'm not a reality TV guy but I was at my brother in law's house a few weeks back and he is. He was watching Alone, what I later found out was season 6. I watched an episode while I was there then about a week later I decided to watch season 7 which was the latest season.

If you have never heard of this is where they put 10 people in a remote place in the wilderness and they have to survive off the land. I have watched season 7, 1, 2 and am currently watching season 3. All season so far the contestants have to outlast each other except season 7 where they had to survive out there for a 100 days. Once a person gets tired of living out there they use a satellite phone to call in to quit. They have to record everything themselves so they are truly alone.

Anyone else watch this? I looked for a thread but did not find one. It originally aired 2015.

Dankstronaut and FrontRunner like this.
  2. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Never heard of it, but it sounds like how I wish Survivor was (real man vs. nature, instead of all the backstabbing).

I used to enjoy Dual Survival with Dave & Cody. Quit watching it not long after Dave left. I watched a little of the Mykel Hawke show (sp?) and a little Survivorman, too, back in the day.

I feel like there's nothing I can't outlast or outlive now. (Just kidding.)

Watching some behind the scenes of DS soured me on that stuff. A dozen guys running around off-camera with boom mics, multiple cameras, monitors, etc... Hell, even a director. And that was when Cody Lundin -- as knowledgeable and genuine a survival expert you will ever find -- was still on the show.

Survivorman was probably the most "genuine" around -- the show's star was alone and recorded everything on his own, AFAIK -- but it wasn't as exciting to watch.

I'll give this one a watch before my next car camping adventure. :D

K mf G likes this.
  3. JamesC

JamesC Member

Alone is one of my favorite shows to watch on History Channel. It definitely takes a combination of skills, mental fortitude and luck to win it!

K mf G likes this.
  4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

It's one of my favorite survival shows. I haven't seen all the seasons though. I don't remember the season but one of the most memorable "survivors" was the guy flapping his gums about bears.
    Before leaving for the island he said if he encountered a bear someone better help the bear. He tapped out before then end of the first day...because he heard bears.

K mf G likes this.
  5. K mf G

Season 2, yes that was a great moment.

6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

So I went on vacation last week. Got to see the fam. It was fun, you know how it be.

They all talked about this show. I mean I felt like I was missing Breaking Bad again.

It's not that good but it's good. Idk why, I'm no survivalist. At best I could probably build a shelter and hunt and fish a little but damn. Why is it so enthralling to watch people starving and struggling to do these things but somewhere crazy? Then you start thinking well what I would've done is this or that lol... crazy show. There are some kindy cheeseball reality TV moments but I've been on a binge and there's 7 more seasons I can watch afterwards. I'm hooked like the fish they wish they could catch.

K mf G likes this.
  7. K mf G

Reminds me I need to catch up on the latest season.

9 minutes of the interview from Joe Rogan Exp with Season 6 winner

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I've started watching it. I think it is season 8 -- the only season on Netflix, at any rate. It's fine for something to do when I'm sorting laundry. It's my wife that's into it. And not for the reality tv, but because she really likes survivalist stuff. It'll probably get problematic for me because she wants to do more camping, and more adventure camping and more rugged or primitive stuff. I camp, but I prefer to pitch a tent next to my car and have a spigot of potable water nearby. And of course the older I get, the less I'm keen to bury my crap in a hole and eat wild onions we found in the woods. But, she's headed the other direction.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've really come to love this show. I've seen all the seasons now and will catch the finale of season 9 sometime this weekend.

One of the downsides of the show becoming popular is that you don't get guys on like the one you referenced above anymore. Everyone that goes out there knows what they are getting into. That's good and bad. Better competition but you don't have the comical moments like that dude who was clearly in over his head.

The most heartbreaking moment (I'll spoiler for those that haven't seen it):

was the girl that was on one of the seasons and ended up making it to like the final 3 people. She was very young, like early twenties young, but she was very good. She ended up getting pulled for medical reasons because she had lost so much weight, but I really thought she might win it that season. Then she came back for the "redemption" season when all contestants were people that failed in prior seasons. She had put on extra weight (a common strategy now) to try and go longer if she couldn't find enough food. Then she ended up hooking her hand with a fishing hook. Normally she would have just pulled it out (she's pretty tough), but it was hooked around a ligament and she was really worried about doing permanent damage to her hand. That girl tried for long a solid day to come up with anyway she could to remove that hook, cut it in two (with basically one hand and her mouth) or ANYTHING. She ended up having to tap out after only like a week. I was so heart broken for her, because not only did she not get to stay/win but had put on this extra weight and then had to go back home with that weight still on.

Season 9 has been a bit boring. No real characters this season who crack me up or just do really weird things. But I still love this show.

10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Love watching it.

11. K mf G

That was the same season
    that the chick got pulled because she had frost bite in her toes. i follow her on instagram and she is bout it bout it

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm talking about Carleigh from season 3 (and subsequently season 5). The frostbite thing was a different person.

K mf G likes this.
  13. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I think I would try to dig out a shelter and hope for some thermal heat help. Live like a real hobbit.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I prefer Naked and Afraid XXL UNCENSORED.

@Jontro

K mf G and Jontro like this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

breh knows wusgood. would subscribe.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

One of the top 3 best shows on TV, imo.

17. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I watched Alone for like two seasons then tapped out like the majority of contestants. IMO the casting is stale. It’s the same profile. They find people who are not there for the competition and end up quitting because they accomplished their goal of finding themselves/or proving they can survive in the wilderness…ok

If you like it continue to watch.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Watching season 8 and I'm frustrated that they don't have enough people who are trying to find themselves. Most of the contestants talk about how they're in it for the money and how life-changing it would be to win $500,000. Meanwhile, they're freaking starving and/or freezing to death. It's starting to make me feel dirty, like I'm watching homeless people living rough for my entertainment. If they were doing all this because they wanted to challenge themselves, okay, but when they say they have to do this because they have no job and no marketable skills and they need some way to feed their children -- damn, there are better ways than this to provide for your family.

19. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Idk if it's a new season or what season it is but... on Netflix? Anyone? Labrador, Canada?

I looked up the 10 items list out of curiosity. I think it changes up a bit based on season/what's allowed in particular areas.

Alone List of Survival Items - Outdoor Reality Shows

For me though.... multi-tool, paracord, tarp, sleeping bag, fishing equipment, bow/arrows, axe, flint/ferro, 2 quart pot/lid, shovel.

K mf G likes this.
  20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Alone is the only reality TV show I watch.

Great stuff, very humbling, makes you feel how fragile life is.

K mf G likes this.