1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets traded James Harden for nothing.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Mar 25, 2021.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Which is a better deal?
    Chris Paul and picks for John Wall
    Harden for Olynyk, Bradley, Exum and picks

Kelly Olynyk is the best real player Stone got.

I think Stone is smarter than Morey.

Because Harden deal is better than Paul deal.

Harden deal has better future than Paul deal.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

this thread is so premature...u heard Stone, don’t judge this trade until 2030

D-rock, jiggyfly, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Yeah. Olynyk is a decent player ... on the last year of his deal ... in a year the Rockets need to be bad.

HP3 likes this.
  4. Xopher

Xopher Member

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. beardsanity713

If harden get mvp & a title in BK. His Rockets tenure is null & void to anyone outside of Houston. Only Rockets fans will have memories of those years ppl wont remeber the team that ALMOST beat the mighty GSW. But harden doin what's best for him right! rockets go back to purgatory while dude gets to ride off in the sunset. Can't front ima bitter rockets fan that's making my peace with everything.

DaDakota likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden hated as a Rocket, but will be remembered fondly as a Net

literally does the same exact stuff he was doing in Houston, but with more talent surrounding him so he doesn’t have to do as much, and now all of the sudden what was once boring and a disgrace to the game is now fun and exciting

Harden got 22 triple doubles and averaged 11 apg during the 16-17 season, but now that he’s racking up triple doubles and averaging 11 assists in BK, it is now being discovered that Harden is 1 of the best playmakers in the game and not just a scorer

D-rock, Der Rabbi, topfive and 4 others like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

I have serious questions about Stone (although I think a lot of this is Fertitta)...... but the Rockets did not get anything.

The Rockets got

4 first round picks, 4 draft swaps (also important) and cleared cap space

The Rockets should have held onto Allen and dealt him at the deadline for an extra #1 but that is about it. LeVert wasn't going to get the Rockets much and Oladipo obviously didn't.

There is a reason that Stone did not want to trade Harden, and help onto him until Harden said enough is enough.... that is because the Rockets were never going to get equal value for the arguably the best player in the league the last 6-7 years.

D-rock, Landry's Tooth, Deuce and 5 others like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

No, Harden will still be remembered as a Rocket.... just like KD is remembered as a Timberwolf.

roslolian, D-rock and Deuce like this.
  10. beardsanity713

SMH its a shame he did some incredible unbelievable things here. I cant even watch Nets games lol

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Yea him and Wally Sczerbiak was a fearsome duo :D

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

it really is...I blame ringzzz culture

without a ring, none of Harden’s greatness would matter and he’d be forgotten

nobody talks about Karl Malone, and the only reason Charles Barkley still gets mentioned is because he’s been on TV post-retirement so he’s been able to stay relevant...Harden wasn’t trying to only be remembered as the greatest player to never win a ring and have an unfulfilled legacy

D-rock, Nook and beardsanity713 like this.
  13. riko

riko Member

Bill Simmons just went in the Rockets

D-rock likes this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’ll take a top 4 pick over immediately trying to win now with Ben Simmons while still having Wall on the roster and pretty much zero shooting

Would we even have cap space with Simmons?

Simmons didn’t want to be here. He’d be trying to force his way out a few years from now.

Maxey? Irrelevant

A couple of picks? LOL, with Harden and Embiid, those would be bottom 5 in the 1st round, and we wouldn’t have gotten picks as far out as we did with BK.

roslolian likes this.
  15. jose

jose Member

Fertitta is the worst thing that has ever happened to the Rockets franchise. Single-handedly, unilaterally destroyed the Rockets for at least the next decade or two. We're going to be like a Chicago Bulls situation. mediocre teams for decades with no chance of competing(outside of the Rose years they've been completely irrelevant).

D-rock, Der Rabbi and slothy420 like this.
  16. riko

riko Member

Maxey was never offerd. Plus Tillman was never going to deal with Morey

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I would too, but my question is, what could we have gotten if we then turned around and flipped Simmons too? Would Golden State give us the Min pick and Wiseman plus a few of their own?

How would you feel about a haul then of James Wiseman, Tyrese Maxey, 2 Philly picks (preferably from far down the road like 25 and 27 to give them a chance to implode), the Minnesota pick, and another couple future firsts from Golden State?

Would OKC be interested in paring a young Ben Simmons with SGA? How many of their 34 picks could we have gotten from them?

I just don't fully know what the market for Ben Simmons is but feel like there had to be a way to turn him into more than what we got.

Little Bit, D-rock and topfive like this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Harden quit.

The only thing the Rockets could do differently was fine him.

DD

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

It’s a great question, and something I’ve always wondered as well. What I wanted from a Harden trade was a young player with potential still on his rookie deal plus picks with us also becoming bad enough to keep our top 4 protected pick this year. I wanted a LAC-OKC type trade where they got Shai plus all the picks. If we had ended up with a MPJr for example, I would’ve been ecstatic.

When people talk about a trade with Philly, most of them keep talking about it through the lens of us keeping Ben Simmons and trying to compete with him. I will always be good on that.

D-rock and topfive like this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, I also think the Allen thing was the only bad part of this deal (other than not getting back any young guys with potential, of course). A healthy Dipo is unquestionably a better player than LaVert. You take the chance that he'll recover fully and maybe want to stick around, assuming you can flip him at the deadline if that doesn't pan out. If Vic had been able to play better while he was here, Stone could have gotten a better return. The pick swap might help, and adding the two vets might pay off long term while making us less miserable to watch now.

Taking Allen and flipping him might have move us up 10-15 spots from that late MIL pick we got for him. Imagine if we could have gotten OKC to take Allen in return for maybe a 2nd rounder and the right to remove this year's swap. I think Presti would bite.

D-rock likes this.